LCVG

XM Changes

Zathras

Got an email last night that XM is going 100% commercial free - which is good

They are also adding a new alternative station, a punk station and some others - good again.

They are getting rid of Special X..... Very, very BAD

Full details of changes are up at: xmradio.com

If there are any other fans of Special X out there please join me in writing a letter!

I just got XM radio for Xmas and I hadn't stumbled upon Special X yet. Maybe it's better if I don't know, but can you tell me what it is (was)?

Other XM fans, maybe you could also post some of the stations you enjoy listening to? It might be interesting to hear what other people are grooving to...

As for me, so far my wife has been dominating the airplay with tunes from the 80's and 90's on the decades stations, so I haven't had much chance to explore yet. But if you've got any questions about A-ha or Tears for Fears, I am now in a position to answer them. :lol:

Special X was/is weird stuff :) Channel 30

They have some theme shows like the Planet Pluto Polka Party and Wax my Woody (surf music). Most of the time they just play wierd covers and non-mainstream stuff (it is the only place to find Shater singing on xm :lol: )

The other stations that get regular play are Fred (early alternative), XM Kids and the dance channels.

Originally posted by PoisonJam@Jan 8 2004, 11:14 AM

Other XM fans, maybe you could also post some of the stations you enjoy listening to? It might be interesting to hear what other people are grooving to...

I listen to a lot of 80s myself, plus the dance stations - BPM (which gets the bulk of my listening time) - Club Hits (81) and sometimes The System - Electronica (82). Other recommendations for my part are... Fred - Classic/Early Alternative music (44), Squizz - Hard Alternative (48). If you like old country Hank's Place (13) is the place to be.

I don't listen to much of Special X, but I agree that it will be a shame to lose it - they play a lot of stuff (bizarre and odd stuff) that you just won't hear elsewhere. Sometimes some Dr. Demento shows, Tom Waits, etc...

However, I am really looking forward to no commercials. that will be sweet. 8)

Its basically just night calls live all day.

As a Sirius subscriber, the news of XM going commercial free and adding a Punk channel is definetely making me think of switching.

EDIT: the new punk channel claims that will also be playing: Industrial. If that is true i'm switching.