Jump to content
LCVG

Stubbornly associating (what is now) a multi-platform franchise with a specific console brand


 Share

Recommended Posts

As we hurtle into the next-gen I've been accumulating lists of late current gen gems I've knowingly missed out on having parted with my PS4 Pro and XB1 X a year or so ago, games that I will look to play via backwards compatibility on the new systems.

 

Lamenting not being able to try the weirdness of the Kingdom Hearts franchise on Gamepass right now got me thinking about how I have this attachment to certain franchises and the irrational desire to play them on their "home" console brands.  That franchise, for example, is one a part of me still thinks I should be playing it on a PlayStation. It doesn't necessarily mean that I will force myself to do so, but still... that the thought even lingers in my mind is funny to me. Likewise with Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis (and the Final Fantasy 7 remake when it eventually goes multi-platform). While I expect to end up with a Series X before PS5, those are titles I may still defer further to play on a Playstation due to my pig headed association with them and a specific brand. The Crash and Spyro collections are two others that come to mind (and now Crash 4). I've yet to play the remasters, and while I believe at least one of those collections is said to run better on Xbox, they remain synonymous with Playstation to me.

 

It may not in fact apply to a franchise as such, and more remakes of titles from a franchise that we've seen a lot of in recent years and reminiscing about the system's they made their debut on. I really never thought much of playing Code Veronica on a Dreamcast, RE4 on a GameCube, or RE5 on the 360 as I did for example, and the likes of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat I don't feel myself binding to any one console manufacturer, although for a while I was more interested in getting the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on Switch on account of sentimentality having owned Street Fighter 2 on the SNES... but I also had it on the Mega Drive, so in a double dose of idiocy I evidently seem to be making these "rules" up as I go. 

 

Even though the developer and franchise did not even exist prior to this current generation, there's so much vintage Rare in the team at Playtonic and the Yooka-Laylee games that they screamed "get it for Switch," even though they are visually leagues ahead on the beefier systems.

 

Am I weird? Yes. Yes I am. Am I alone on this? I'm curious to know. It shouldn't matter, and if you're lucky enough to own multiple systems then the rational part of one's brain would surely suggest buying which ever system has the best version. I don't lose sleep thinking about it (...much) by any means, but I'm curious if anyone else has a franchise, or in particular sees a remake like Resident Evil 2 and thinks "I need to be playing that on a..." Is the upcoming Tony Hawk's 1 & 2 remake like that for anyone? It's not for me. I never played a Tony Hawk's game until I had a Dreamcast, and weirdly I think of Xbox when I think of the Dreamcast on account of those og Xbox ports of several Dreamcast games.

 

It's funny how the sentimentality of association seems to win out in several cases. I don't remember it feeling weird when the Resident Evil remake debuted on the 'Cube, so clearly I am more sentimental for the series and for the Playstation brand now than I was eighteen years ago.

 

Yakuza's perhaps the most recent example. I am delighted to see the series on PC and Xbox, but I want to keep playing through that series on a Playstation. That's too recent to really feel sentimental over, even having played it back in the PS2 days, so do achievements/trophies also have any sway in it I wonder? Having achievements for a franchise game on one system, and wanting to keep them all together? It just shouldn't matter AT ALL. I know this. Who cares? 

 

homer simpson running GIF

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Am I weird? Yes. Yes I am. Am I alone on this? I'm curious to know. It shouldn't matter, and if you're lucky enough to own multiple systems then the rational part of one's brain would surely suggest buying which ever system has the best version.

 

 

This has got to be way more common than you'd think. It doesn't make sense logically, but it's one of the things our lizard brain has a hold of. The closest example that came to mind is when some people say we shouldn't care about what the console looks like as long as it plays the games, but I care. I CARE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if the controller is an overriding influence in some people’s thinking too. The core parts of a PlayStation pad and DualShock have always been relatively similar across the generations of PS consoles for example. Surely an aspect of that contributes to the sentimental “home” factor that we might associate with a specific franchise (like if someone can only associate playing Crash with a PS pad).
 

Casting my mind back, if anything felt jarring to me when the Gamecube Resident Evil remake came out it was less the fact I was playing RE on something that wasn’t the PlayStation, and more the stark difference between the PS pad and the ‘Cube controller.
 

Generally I don’t think the controller feels like a significant influence to me personally (I make no secret of my Xbox S pad favouritism this generation), but I imagine it must for some, particularly with sports games or a popular fps. How obsessive some competitive players are over their fighting stick, mouse or keyboard of choice is a whole other thing entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's funny that Resident Evil always comes up in these types of discussions in that people say it's a PlayStation franchise. I get why, but for me, it's an entirely different story!

 

My first exposure to the series was on the GameCube through the remake. I'm more likely to associate it with either Nintendo (GameCube, Wii, or 3DS) or Xbox (360 or One). When I did my replay of the series in 2018-2019, I played almost all the games either on GameCube or Xbox One — the only exception being the original and the remake, which I played on PS3 and PS4 respectively. I've also played RE4 on PS2 and PS3, but that's about it for Sony's consoles. I still need to buy the RE3 remake, but when I do, it will most likely be on Xbox One as well.

 

Recently, I plunged into the world of Assassin's Creed. I have all the games in the series now (minus some DLC for Origins and Odyssey) and every one of them is on Xbox One. Part of that has to do with the fact that I "owned" several games in the series already thanks to Games with Gold. Part of it has to do with the fact that I prefer the Xbox One controller over the PS4's. Part of it has to do with the fact that the most recent entries look and run a little better on the Xbox One X, including the original game, which is not only backwards compatible on the Xbox One, but enhanced to 4K resolution on the X. And yeah, part of it has to do with the fact that when I think of Assassin's Creed, I think Xbox. I could play it on PS4, but chose not to.

 

One think I do like is the sense of having a complete collection of something for a single platform. When I go into my Games and Apps section on Xbox One I can see all the Assassin's Creed games (and Resident Evil games for that matter) together in one spot. It makes me feel like the collection is complete. I imagine many others are like me, either with their digital collections or physical copies. Something nice about having everything bundled together like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, JFo said:

It's funny that Resident Evil always comes up in these types of discussions in that people say it's a PlayStation franchise. I get why, but for me, it's an entirely different story!

 

My first exposure to the series was on the GameCube through the remake. I'm more likely to associate it with either Nintendo (GameCube, Wii, or 3DS) or Xbox (360 or One). When I did my replay of the series in 2018-2019, I played almost all the games either on GameCube or Xbox One — the only exception being the original and the remake, which I played on PS3 and PS4 respectively. I've also played RE4 on PS2 and PS3, but that's about it for Sony's consoles. I still need to buy the RE3 remake, but when I do, it will most likely be on Xbox One as well.

 

That's really interesting! I hadn't given any thought about coming to a franchise for the first time on a console brand that the series did not initially debut on. Kingdom Hearts would be a pretty big one like that for me if it's still on Gamepass at the end of the year (I'm not expecting it to be), although I'd still have "this is a playstation game" in my head when playing it I'm sure.  

 

27 minutes ago, JFo said:

 

Recently, I plunged into the world of Assassin's Creed. I have all the games in the series now (minus some DLC for Origins and Odyssey) and every one of them is on Xbox One. Part of that has to do with the fact that I "owned" several games in the series already thanks to Games with Gold. Part of it has to do with the fact that I prefer the Xbox One controller over the PS4's. Part of it has to do with the fact that the most recent entries look and run a little better on the Xbox One X, including the original game, which is not only backwards compatible on the Xbox One, but enhanced to 4K resolution on the X. And yeah, part of it has to do with the fact that when I think of Assassin's Creed, I think Xbox. I could play it on PS4, but chose not to.

 

Interesting choice. I've no mental "home" for the AC series. I played II on the 360, then Black Flag on the PS4. Odyssey came with my XB1 X but I re-sold it without playing it (which I somewhat regret now as the setting appealed and I was quite interested in some of the things I read about the game after having already parted with my copy, but I may buy it cheap some day). 

 

27 minutes ago, JFo said:

One think I do like is the sense of having a complete collection of something for a single platform. When I go into my Games and Apps section on Xbox One I can see all the Assassin's Creed games (and Resident Evil games for that matter) together in one spot. It makes me feel like the collection is complete. I imagine many others are like me, either with their digital collections or physical copies. Something nice about having everything bundled together like that.

 

That's very much where I am with Yakuza having finished Zero on PS4, and I think I added Kiwami to my library on PS+ just before my sub expired, or I bought it cheap. I forget. Either way I'm pretty sure it's there waiting for me, and the Playstation is really where I'd like the complete series to reside (assuming I can put aside four years of free time to play through all of the games in the franchise that is).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of the games mentioned, the only ones mentioned that I have any real strong association with a particular platform are Crash and Spyro. Even though Sony had no ownership over them, they were essentially PlayStation mascots. 
 

I barely think twice about them being on the Switch, but have a strange reaction to them being on XBox. 
 

Resident Evil isn’t as closely tied to the PS for me. I played RE1 on the PS1 (and it was one of the main reasons I bought a PS1),  but the next RE game I spent any real time with was Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. RE2 and 3 were also released on DC so those two aren’t as strongly associated with PlayStation for as they are for others. The fact that RE4, Zero and remake were released on Gamecube further distances it from the PS. 
 

Let’s also not forget that RE1 was released on Saturn. 
 

For some I’m sure Tomb Raider was the same. Even though the original game was released on Saturn as well as PS1, and all the games were released on PC, there was certainly a mindset of those being PlayStation games. 
 

For me there are two others that I can think of. Rock Band is a XBox series, and should only be played on XBox. The fact that those games even exist on PlayStation seem strange to me (even though, of course it does). Part of that is I have a huge library of songs on XBox that would make switching platforms pointless, and part is that I’ve just had all those games on XBox. 
 

Sonic is a Nintendo series and is best played on Nintendo systems. That seems like an odd thing to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tomb Raider is interesting. The franchise kind of transcends platforms for me, even though playing the original on Playstation meant a lot to me back in the day. GTA too, the top down originals were Playstation titles for me, then GTA 3, Vice City on PS2, but I actually never felt weird playing San Andreas on Xbox, and GTA IV on 360. 

 

It's funny how wildly inconsistent I am with making these kind of associations. Final Fantasy is an interesting one to think about because post-FFVII I think of it as a Playstation franchise, but that may have something to do with never properly appreciating the games on Nintendo platforms (or getting to play that many of them). VII was such an experience that it single handedly re-defined where the series' home was for everyone really. 

 

Advertising has a huge influence too. While I am not a football/soccer fan, and only flirt with it in videogame form on random occasions when the mood takes me, I do think of Xbox when I think of Fifa, I think purely because of how MS and EA partnered together in promoting the series alongside the 360. It hadn't been a game I really associated with any system up until that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t really have any massive affiliation usually. Possibly because so many of these series I first played on PC, then moved to console for that period where nothing was getting a good PC release. 
 

But Rez is a Dreamcast game. Not a PS2 game. I will fight you over this. 
 

You’re right about the Xbox, though; as the “not Sony or Nintendo console” it feels like the natural home of Ex-Sega stuff, as well as anything I think of as a PC game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iainl said:

But Rez is a Dreamcast game. Not a PS2 game. I will fight you over this. 
 

 

Truth.

 

Quote

You’re right about the Xbox, though; as the “not Sony or Nintendo console” it feels like the natural home of Ex-Sega stuff, as well as anything I think of as a PC game.


Every now and again seeing SEGA on Sony systems triggers bitter memories and thoughts of “you’re cosying up to the console brand who killed your last two amazing consoles” 😀

 

I was thinking about Shenmue III the other day and it’s a shame it’s also not on Xbox as there’s a part of me that feels it belongs there on account of my weird logic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, iainl said:

 

But Rez is a Dreamcast game. Not a PS2 game. I will fight you over this. 

 

 

It's  a PS4 game now for me. Specifically cause we got Infinite and Rez VR so that's where my association with it lives these days but yes, prior to that Dreamcast all the way.

 

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:


Every now and again seeing SEGA on Sony systems triggers bitter memories and thoughts of “you’re cosying up to the console brand who killed your last two amazing consoles” 😀

 

 

Anticipation of the PS2 absolutely helped to kill the Dreamcast but Sega killed the Saturn in the States mostly on their lonesome. They didn't need much help from Sony with their boneheaded decisions. The early release without bothering to tell their retail partners, the anemic launch, the price, etc. You name it. The fact that the Playstation was a monster just drove a final nail into that coffin. Also, add in the fact that Sega spent years killing any goodwill they had accrued with the Genesis thanks to the endless pricey add-ons. Mind you, I will defend the Sega CD library to the death for anyone that wants to come at it, but between that and the 32x (garbage), people already had soured on Sega's shit by that point.

 

Thankfully, the Saturn still had an audience in Japan and it has one of the most unique and amazing library of games thanks to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Anticipation of the PS2 absolutely helped to kill the Dreamcast but Sega killed the Saturn in the States mostly on their lonesome. They didn't need much help from Sony with their boneheaded decisions. The early release without bothering to tell their retail partners, the anemic launch, the price, etc. You name it. The fact that the Playstation was a monster just drove a final nail into that coffin. Also, add in the fact that Sega spent years killing any goodwill they had accrued with the Genesis thanks to the endless pricey add-ons.

 

 

I can’t argue with those truths, but this about my irrational thought process remember? 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...