LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Xbox Game Pass Thread (Console and PC) — More Games Than You Could Ever Hope to Play

We keep posting Game Pass news in the Xbox One and Series X thread, but really, this should be its own separate topic. So, here it is — at long last! — with today's announcements.

I played The Messenger recently on Switch. If you have not played it, definitely check it out. It is a good 2D Metroidvania.

Romier and Brian both vouched for Observation as well in the Xbox One thread. I suppose I'll have to try and check it out when I get the chance. I have several other games that I want to play still, including The Outer WorldsThe Outer Wilds, Blair Witch, and Ace Combat 7. Maybe someday I'll get to them. Too many games!

For the time being, my boys and I are still having a blast playing Minecraft Dungeons. We still haven't beaten it yet, but we are slowly leveling up and getting better gear. Hopefully, we can take down the Arch Illiger soon.

• Cheers 3

Some new games announced for Game Pass this morning.

Out of the Park Baseball 21 (PC) ID@Xbox – July 1
The 21st version of the award-winning baseball strategy franchise delivers the newest features and improvements in series history! It features unprecedented depth and customization, brand-new guided experiences for newcomers and veterans, authenticity licensed by MLB and the MLBPA, and a bounty of offline and online experiences found nowhere else.

Soulcalibur VI (Console) – July 1
Prepare to clash in the retold Stage of History. Soulcalibur VI is the premier weapons-based fighter, head-to-head fighting series with a massive roster of iconic characters and special guest fighters such as Geralt from The Witcher. The heroic 3D battles transpire in a beautiful and fluid world, and now features all-new battle mechanics and characters. Pick your warrior and experience Soulcalibur’s untold history on Xbox One.

CrossCode (Console) ID@Xbox  – July 9
If you are looking for a game with more than 30 Boss fights, over 120 enemy types, huge dungeons filled up with countless puzzles, combat skills and a ton of quests supported by a handmade music tracks with plenty of playtime, well, in that case you are looking for CrossCode! A retro action RPG set in the distant future in the veins of Secret of Manaand Zelda. Look forward to butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, engaging puzzle mechanics, all served with a gripping sci-fi story.

Fallout 76 (Console & PC) – July 9
Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Skyrim and Fallout 4, welcome you to Fallout 76: Wastelanders, the online multiplayer role-playing game. Work together, or not, to survive. Under the threat of nuclear annihilation, you’ll experience the largest, most dynamic world ever created in the legendary Fallout universe.

And some games are leaving soon:

Leaving July 15

• Blazing Chrome (Console & PC)
  • Dead Rising 4 (Console & PC)
  • Metal Gear Solid V (Console and PC)
  • Timespinner (PC)
  • Unavowed (PC)
  • Undertale (PC)

Y'all have one less excuse to not play. :P

Fallout 76 (Console & PC) – July 9
Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Skyrim and Fallout 4, welcome you to Fallout 76: Wastelanders, the online multiplayer role-playing game. Work together, or not, to survive. Under the threat of nuclear annihilation, you’ll experience the largest, most dynamic world ever created in the legendary Fallout universe.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Oh, go on then. 😀

will have to get that Soul Calibur downloaded as well. 

• Like 1

Jeff Grubb of Venture Beat is expecting a major yet to be released third party title to be announced for Game Pass in the coming months:

I would expect Microsoft to emphasize its services. It’s going to talk about Xbox Game Pass a lot. Of course, every Xbox Games Studio release is going to hit that subscription service.

But this is where Microsoft’s third-party strategy could come into play. Expect Microsoft to try to make a big splash by announcing an anticipated third-party game hitting Game Pass soon after release. Cyberpunk 2077 seems like a prime candidate.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/07/xbox-games-showcase-what-to-expect-from-the-july-event/

Very interesting if that were to happen. The want to push Game Pass hard in the run up to the SeriesX release is certainly expected. That would certainly be about as big an acquisition to the library as one could expect, but I'd be very surprised if it's that game. Avengers maybe? 

Avengers could well be the right call; there's certainly a big audience for a good Avengers game, but few seem to think this will be it. If it's better than people expect, then it would rapidly build word of mouth. If it isn't, then Microsoft cash would temper the risk of a bomb.

Otherwise, anything that needs multiplayer opponents.

51 minutes ago, iainl said:

Otherwise, anything that needs multiplayer opponents.

This. If I was in charge of a large single player story focused game that's got tons of hype, it'd need an extremely large wheelbarrow of cash to justify it being on GamePass at launch. Like extremely large. But for an online focused game, with revenue sources from players after it launches? That's a possibility... It'd still take a huge big wheelbarrow + a large amount of "co-marketing". 

Thankfully, I'm not in charge of anything.

Indeed. My thinking on Avengers is also that Square and Microsoft also seem to have a healthy relationship when it comes to Game Pass.

Worth noting Grubb's expectation is for something big "shortly after release," so with Avengers out in September that timing might work out well for a holiday addition to Game Pass as by that point you've allowed for a couple of months of sales from those already anticipating the game.

The original statement is the usual really vagueness of these rumours. 

Multiplayer, multiplatform games can benefit a lot from the good word; I think of how Rocket League wouldn't be half the phenomenon it was if so many PS+ subscribers hadn't given it a chance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, iainl said:

Multiplayer, multiplatform games can benefit a lot from the good word; I think of how Rocket League wouldn't be half the phenomenon it was if so many PS+ subscribers hadn't given it a chance.

And now its a cesspool of alt-accounts, smurfs and de-rankers.  Boy do I love reporting those people.  

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

If I was in charge of a large single player story focused game that's got tons of hype, it'd need an extremely large wheelbarrow of cash to justify it being on GamePass at launch. Like extremely large. But for an online focused game, with revenue sources from players after it launches? That's a possibility... It'd still take a huge big wheelbarrow + a large amount of "co-marketing". 

Just a wheelbarrow, Brian? C’mon, even Krusty demanded more than that!

• Like 1

The Touryst! Hope that’s still around come Christmas as I’ve not yet had a chance to pick it up on the Switch. I’d be interested to know what enhancements it has on a beefier system (it’s already a solid 60fps on Switch but I’m wondering if there’s a 4k/HDR bump on Xbox).

MS just announced that their streaming service is coming to Game Pass Ultimate in September, with 100+ Game Pass games supporting it. Interesting.

You will get more from your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership. Finally, today we’re announcing that this September, in supported countries, we’re bringing Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud together at no additional cost for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With cloud gaming in Game Pass Ultimate, you will be able to play over 100 Xbox Game Pass titles on your phone or tablet. And because Xbox Live connects across devices, you can play along with the nearly 100 million Xbox Live players around the world. So when Halo Infinite launches, you and your friends can play together and immerse yourselves in the Halo universe as Master Chief—anywhere you go and across devices.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

• Interesting 1

I'm surprised they just trickled that news out there. I thought they'd give xCloud a much bigger platform at some point in the future as I figured it could be another big revenue service for them if it works well. I really didn't think they'd give it a public push in 2020. That's really interesting that it's being combined with Game Pass. 

The Verge interviewed Spencer about it:

Microsoft is promising that more than 100 Xbox Game Pass titles will be playable on a phone or tablet when the streaming service launches. Microsoft isn’t detailing which countries will be supported at launch just yet, though. The company has been building out its Azure data centers across the US and in parts of Europe with Xbox One S blades to stream Xbox games through xCloud. Microsoft will upgrade these servers to Xbox Series X hardware in 2021.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will be the only way to access xCloud streaming at launch, but it won’t always be limited to Microsoft’s top subscription tier.

“Over time we will continue to expand how we introduce streaming as part of the platform, and playing games that you own that aren’t part of the subscription,” says Microsoft’s Xbox chief Phil Spencer in an interview with The Verge. “For launch we’re putting it in Ultimate for no additional cost. We think it’s a good audience for us to start with, and it’s an audience that plays a lot of games.”

Project xCloud won’t even be the final name for Microsoft’s game streaming service. “This isn’t the official name, but you should think about it as Game Pass streaming or Xbox streaming, something like that,” explains Spencer. “We actually don’t have the final name just yet, but it won’t be Project xCloud.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21326797/microsoft-xcloud-launch-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free

Xbox Series xCloud. :) 

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm surprised they just trickled that news out there. I thought they'd give xCloud a much bigger platform at some point in the future as I figured it could be another big revenue service for them if it works well. I really didn't think they'd give it a public push in 2020. That's really interesting that it's being combined with Game Pass. 

It's basically just the next beta version.  Not really all that interesting if it's mobile-only-would be more compelling if there was a PC client, or even other smart devices.  I use the in-home streaming through the win10 app all the time. 

I haven't tried the xcloud stuff in a while though-I should check back in on it. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/24/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-summer-mode/

Welcome to Summer Mode (and for those of you not in Summer, enjoy the fun without the heat)! The only thing better than setting aside some time to really dig into gaming, is to get more rewards, more points and more fun with your friends while doing so. For the next 8 weeks, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members will get access to awesome games, new Perks, double rewards points, sweepstakes, and more.

Let’s jump in!

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Perks

Dauntless – Available now

Download the exclusive Emerald Steel weapon skins pack for Dauntless, offering seven different skins, along with several supplies to take on your hunt, including Lifespring and Ironhide Pylons. (Not available in South Korea, Taiwan, or Hong Kong)

Postmates – Available now

Claim your 3 months of Unlimited Free Deliveries with Postmates Unlimited. Postmates Unlimited is a subscription service that offers free delivery on every order over $12* from more than 600,000 restaurants, retailers, and convenience stores and offers other membership benefits including exclusive discounts and offers. (Available in the US only, see the Perks gallery for full Terms and Conditions)

Snacks at home or while hunting monsters aren’t our only Perks for you. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Perks are going to keep rolling out this Summer. We’ve got more with some of your favorite games coming soon!

Double Your Points on Select Ultimate Quests

During Summer Mode, you can complete certain Ultimate Weekly Quests for x2 the points. Here are a few of the games to download and be prepared to earn more! Keep an eye on the Xbox Game Pass Mobile app for all regular and Summer Mode quests: 
  • Starting 7/28 – Cities: Skylines – 100 Points (x2 from 50 Points): Pass 50 days
  • Starting 8/4 – Fallout 76 – 50 Points (x2 from 25 Points): Embark on a new quest for the Overseer
  • Starting 8/11 – We Happy Few – 100 Points (x2 from 50 Points): Kill 7 enemies
  • Starting 8/18 – Streets of Rogue – 50 Points (x2 from 25 Points): Fight, sneak, and hack your way
  • Starting 8/25 – The Turing Test – 100 Points (x2 from 50 Points): Walk 125 Meters

Microsoft Rewards Punch Card

We’re only getting started with Summer Mode, and we’re going to keep the points coming. Ultimate members, keep an eye on the Microsoft rewards app on console for the summer mode punch card, and  punch your way to earning up to 300 points!

Sweepstakes – The Point Chaser

Between now and August 5, if you earn more than 500 gamerscore points, go to the Xbox Game Pass Dash on your console, and enter for the chance to win one of five golden Xbox One X consoles. (Available in the US only)

More rolling out this Summer…

More Sweepstakes

Even if you don’t win the golden Xbox One X console this week, this isn’t our only Sweepstakes for the summer. We’ll have more ways for you to win,and coming soon you can give to a charity partner by donating your Reward points for a future sweepstakes entry. Keep an eye on the Xbox Game Pass hub on your Xbox One console dashboard for more details this Summer.

More Points

We’re only getting started with Summer Mode, and we’re going to keep the points coming. Keep an eye on the Xbox Game Pass mobile app for your quests, and you’ll find we keep slipping in more that are worth double the points!

Big Gaming Weekend

It’s more fun when everyone plays! Later this summer we’ll have more details to come on our Big Gaming Weekend where we will open up multiplayer and some free games to play that weekend for console and PC! Stay tuned and we’ll share dates and games soon.

Supposedly Microsoft will be removing the Xbox branding from Game Pass, to better distinguish it from being a console-oriented thing.

The company is rebranding Xbox Game Pass to simply Game Pass. This move distances the companies Game Pass subscription from being explicitly tied to its gaming console. The company is also changing Xbox Game Pass for PC to simply Game Pass for PC.

Well, in related news, the Game Pass Twitter account updated its avatar.

The word “Xbox” in the logo is gone, replaced with just the Xbox logo and the words “Game Pass” underneath.

Coming_soon_AllTitles_8.5_JPG.jpg?w=1200

Coming in the next batch of games:
Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC) - 8/18
Battletoads (Console & PC) - 8/20
Tell Me Why Episode 1 (Console & PC) - 8/27
Wasteland 3 (Console & PC) - 8/28
Crusader Kings III (PC) - 9/1
Disgaea 4 Complete (PC)

Leaving August 14

• Devil May Cry 5 (Console)
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Console & PC)
  • Space Hulk: Tactics (PC)
  • Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (PC)
  • Yoku’s Island Express (Console & PC)
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:31 PM, Angry the Clown said:

The Touryst! Hope that’s still around come Christmas as I’ve not yet had a chance to pick it up on the Switch. I’d be interested to know what enhancements it has on a beefier system (it’s already a solid 60fps on Switch but I’m wondering if there’s a 4k/HDR bump on Xbox).

Digital Foundry to the rescue with the answers I was looking for: