LCVG

Xbox Game Pass Thread (Console and PC) — More Games Than You Could Ever Hope to Play

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order coming to Game Pass next week along with Series X/S.    

Doom Eternal on October 1st... 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Bastards. Thanks for the warning since it was supposed to be released today. Guess I’ll be waiting longer to play Fallen Order. 

Not surprised there's hiccups releasing "all" their PC games at once on Windows Store. Getting a game ready to launch on Windows Store ain't trivial unfortunately, it's a different SDK/API to work against compared to Xbox. If you've got your game already working against multiple PC storefronts, you're likely in a better place than some, but it's still not trivial. 

And, allegedly, it means you now have a PC SKU that needs to go through a certification process, unlike Steam. Which is news to a lot of PC developers... 

Allegedly.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you all. There’s a whole bunch of Series X|S Enhanced games in Game Pass, and Destiny 2 sure is very shiny, to the point of massive distraction while Son and I couch co-op with me on the old One S and him on the Series X getting buttery smooth framerates and HDR. 

But what I don’t think I can see is a single title that shows off the Ray Tracing stuff yet - am I going to have to wait for next month when the Control update and Hitman 3 drop?

3 hours ago, iainl said:

Question for you all. There’s a whole bunch of Series X|S Enhanced games in Game Pass, and Destiny 2 sure is very shiny, to the point of massive distraction while Son and I couch co-op with me on the old One S and him on the Series X getting buttery smooth framerates and HDR. 

But what I don’t think I can see is a single title that shows off the Ray Tracing stuff yet - am I going to have to wait for next month when the Control update and Hitman 3 drop?

Without spending money? Yes.  Though I think Call of the Sea supports ray tracing and it’s on Game Pass. Otherwise you’d have to look at Watch Dogs Legion, DMC5 Special Edition, Black Ops Cold War, etc. Maneater also got an RT patch/next gen upgrade as well and it’s a damned fun game to boot but it’s not the type of implementation that sells why RT is a big deal.

Of the titles I mentioned, Watch Dogs is the most impressive RT implementation at the moment on the Series X, IMO.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, dogbert said:

Carto, gets added to xbox today.

I just finished this one up yesterday. It was a delight! At times it felt almost Nintendo-like in its design in that it took a core gameplay mechanic (using a map to rearrange the levels and solve puzzles) and built an entire game around it. The puzzles themselves are pretty good. They offer a fair bit of challenge without being too difficult to figure out. I did look up the solution to one near the beginning, but that was about it.

Anyway, definitely a solid indie game worth checking out when you have the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a promotion on MS rewards right now that maps gamerscore to rewards points 1:1, so I juggled my backlog a little to take advantage of some games that I knew would have reasonably easy achievements to try to max that out.  Needed something short after spending that long with DQXI too.  I ended up getting the full 1000 in:

• Grim Fandango Remastered-I hadn't played this in several years, and only remembered maybe 2/3 of it.  The achievement list actually helped me find a few things I'd never seen in the game.
  • Full Throttle Remastered-I don't think I'd played this since the original release.  Not as good as Grim, and a pretty short SCUMM game that wasn't as good as Day of the Tentacle.  Worth seeing for sure, and I remember really liking it at the time, but I don't think it's aged really well. 
  • What Remains of Edith Finch-This one had been on my backlog for a while, and I'm really glad I finally got around to it.  It's a little like Gone Home, but as filtered through the Haunted Mansion.  You can beat the whole thing in a couple of hours, which makes it a perfect Game Pass game. 

Two more indies complete (with all 1000 points to boot)

• Donut County: Reverse-Katamari with talking animals.  Fun and short.  If you haven't played it, well worth it. 
  • The Little Acre: I'd never heard of this one before it showed up on gamepass, but it looked like a point and click adventure from the late 90s.  Turns out that's pretty much what it was-kind of in the vein of something like Torrin's Passage or the Neverhood.  It's definitely OK, and the animation is really nice, but it's not much of a challenge.  Still, as a game pass title, not a bad use of a couple hours (which is all it takes to 100% it).

Probably a few more indie titles to check out before starting something else substantial.  Coin toss right now is between Yakuza 0 and Doom Eternal.

I started on trying to take advantage of the achievements mean points thing. Then I realised that 1000 points are worth slightly less than a pound. So nice to have if you want to play things anyway, but pretty poor time investment if you’re just churning things you don’t care about; a Series X connected to an Oled is going to use more in electricity getting 1000 out of most games. Particularly including download time. 

7 hours ago, iainl said:

I started on trying to take advantage of the achievements mean points thing. Then I realised that 1000 points are worth slightly less than a pound. So nice to have if you want to play things anyway, but pretty poor time investment if you’re just churning things you don’t care about; a Series X connected to an Oled is going to use more in electricity getting 1000 out of most games. Particularly including download time. 

Yeah, there's a slippery slope here, but I've just been picking off a bunch of indie stuff that was on my backlog anyway.  Only thing that might have changed is the order I've tackled them in, but so far I haven't played anything that I wouldn't have anyway. 

Speaking of which, Call of the Sea is great!  At first glance it's a Myst-like, and there's definitely DNA that's shared with those puzzle-adventure games of the 90s, but there are some great modern updates, like the in-game notebook that make it a whole lot more approachable.  Still not easy by any means, but also not obtuse as something like Riven.  The story also goes off in a direction that I didn't expect at all.  Definitely worth a look if you have any fondness for adventure games.

• 2 weeks later...

In a surprising move, Game Pass is adding more games to the service this month:

Stealth Inc. 2 is a good one to check out. I've also been meaning to write a mini-review of The Falconeer since I finished it back at the end of December, but never got around to it. It's a pretty good game as well, though it does have its quirks and may take a bit of time to get into. My advice: grind for a bit and upgrade your weapons. That will make things a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Started and finished Carrion today.  Not a bad little metroidvania, and the novelty doesn't wear out its welcome by being too long.  It's a little hard to control as the monster gets bigger, but I think that's kind of the point.  Some clever puzzles along the way, but not a bad 4 hours. 

Started Crosscode as well after hearing some good word of mouth, and it's...OK?  Not sure I'll stick with it.