LCVG

Xbox Game Pass Thread (Console and PC) — More Games Than You Could Ever Hope to Play

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order coming to Game Pass next week along with Series X/S.    

Doom Eternal on October 1st... 

Posted Images

Let's be explicit about this - a game published by Sony Interactive Entertainment is launching day one on Microsoft's subscription service, Game Pass. What a world we live in.

(Yeah I know the xbox version is technically published by MLB, but you know what I mean...). 

It seems like anything is possible now. It makes sense though. Get people to try it, get invested, maybe try dynasty mode, which generally is considered the more reasonable of the Ultimate teams, then when next year’s version comes out(assuming this continues), they can buy the new version and carry their progress over.

Just now, Paul said:

Do you think they waited a day to announce this because yesterday was April fool’s day? Lol

You know, probably. Usually you don't dump good news like this on a Friday. Had it been the first day of any other month, they probably would have announced it yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

It makes sense though. Get people to try it, get invested, maybe try dynasty mode, which generally is considered the more reasonable of the Ultimate teams, then when next year’s version comes out(assuming this continues), they can buy the new version and carry their progress over.

I wonder how long it will be on Game Pass for. I could see it being one of the offerings with a shorter window of availability like Red Dead 2, but we'll see. Amazing either way.

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Does Sony counter by making this a PS+ or Play at Home title? Wow.

The closest analog would be to add it to PS Now, but I can't imagine that happening. But I could have never imagined it happening on Game Pass either, so who knows what to expect now?

I can't really see what incentive Sony would have for providing a similar offering on Playstation. It's well established on the platform (even if I do think more cold be done to help push it internationally), whereas it's a smart way to attract Xbox owners to checking it out as Paul noted. I do think it will be a 3 to 6 month affair on Game Pass, but that's really all it needs to be to help establish a fanbase on another system.

Imagine if it looked/ran better on Series X. The internet would melt. I'm not sure how much of a deep comparison we could expect from Digital Foundry with this one given the niche appeal of the sport and the game in Europe.

13 minutes ago, Graeme said:

After which it will probably just show up on EA Play or something, considering how crazy this already seems. 

Well that would be crazy since it’s a Sony San Diego developed game.

And we don’t know what the preorder numbers looked like. Maybe this is simply it not being as good as hoped so they made this deal to generate some buzz and insure money. Xbox players don’t always move out of their comfort zone to try new experiences. 

Either way, I wasn’t paying $70 on day one so now I will download it on Xbox. But let me tell you, that initial start up will be..strange.

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

Well that would be crazy since it’s a Sony San Diego developed game.

I think that was Graeme's point. :) Everything is upside down now.

The top tier on this scale of insanity would probably be a Game Pass app for Switch and being able to play MLB The Show on it. 

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I think that was Graeme's point. :) Everything is upside down now.

The top tier on this scale of insanity would probably be a Game Pass app for Switch and being able to play MLB The Show on it. 

Yeah, stuff tends to go right over my head.

You know who won’t clarify any of this? Sony. I don’t think they have once made any public comment on it since the announcement. And again, nothing today. They recently showed the Series X version off on IGN in a 15 minute video with Ryan McCaffrey and I don’t think he asked how this even came about. I wonder if Sony gave them this as long as they did not bring it up.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

You know who won’t clarify any of this? Sony. I don’t think they have once made any public comment on it since the announcement. And again, nothing today. They recently showed the Series X version off on IGN in a 15 minute video with Ryan McCaffrey and I don’t think he asked how this even came about. I wonder if Sony gave them this as long as they did not bring it up.

Well, the Xbox version is being published by the MLB itself (according to Microsoft's page for the game anyway), so I am not entirely sure Sony have to make any kind of direct statement, though San Diego Studio an the MLB The Show Twitter feeds have also been quiet. MLB's Twitter re-tweeted the Game Pass tweet of the announcement.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Sony has no reason to comment. Their San Diego studio is developing and not publishing on Xbox and neither is Sony Interactive.  I'm sure Sony is getting some cut of the Game Pass dollars here as their internal development studio is handling the heavy lifting and they could just cut ties and tell the MLB to find their own developer moving forward if its within their rights in the contract they signed and they aren't happy. Its not as though next years "The Show" wouldn't appear on Sony platforms if that were to play out. However, it is indeed MLB publishing on the Xbox platforms so they can do what they want with the series within whatever context the contract exists in.

The Series X version will be identical to the PS5 version in almost every way and I'll put money on that.;)

Also, Sony has zero incentive to offer this for free. They will sell plenty of copies to all those brandy new PS5 owners out there who don't own a Series X and you're either naive or insane if you think multi-platform owners like some of us here are the majority or even remotely close to a majority of console owners out there. Especially for these next gen machines. Also, the series will /easily/ sell the most copies on the PS4. Not the next gen machines.

Context:

Back in December of 2019, Major League Baseball, along with the MLBPA, Sony, and Sony San Diego, announced a multi-year agreement to extend the partnership between the parties. The announcement noted that the agreement will allow the MLB The Show franchise to continue, but with one twist. The MLBPA and Sony also announced that the franchise will be brought to “console platforms beyond PlayStation platforms as early as 2021.”

29 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Sony has no reason to comment. Their San Diego studio is developing and not publishing on Xbox and neither is Sony Interactive.  I'm sure Sony is getting some cut of the Game Pass dollars here as their internal development studio is handling the heavy lifting and they could just cut ties and tell the MLB to find their own developer moving forward if its within their rights in the contract they signed. Its not as though next years "The Show" wouldn't appear on Sony platforms. However, it is indeed MLB publishing on the Xbox platforms so they can do what they want with the series within whatever context the contract exists in.

The Series X version will be identical to the PS5 version in almost every way and I'll put money on that.;)

Also, Sony has zero incentive to offer this for free. They will sell plenty of copies to all those brandy new PS5 owners out there who don't own a Series X and you're either naive or insane if you think multi-platform owners like some of us here are the majority or even remotely close to a majority of console owners out there. Especially for these next gen machines. Also, the series will sell /easily/ sell the most copies on the PS4. Not the next gen machines.

All of this. Why would Sony mind? Microsoft and MLB are paying for the licenses essentially, so it's great for Sony San Diego. If there's any perceived "loss" of a sale on PS5, that's not really the case here. More installed players = more $.