LCVG

NBA2K21 will retail for $10 more on PS5/Series X...

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I think part of my personal perspective is skewed by the fact that in Europe we've often been left paying more for this stuff already compared to the US

This is also the case in Canada. When the PS4/XB1 launched, the systems and games were the same price as the US. Then the prices of the games shot up $20 overnight (from $60 to $80), and the consoles went up a substantial amount also (I forget exactly how much). 

While this was all due to the Canadian dollar dropping quite a bit, it was quite a jolt to the pocketbook. 

The fact that it is going up another $10 (to $90) makes it a bit tougher pill to swallow. 

To be perfectly fair though, the fact that the games were $60 at some point was a special treat. When I worked at EB Games during the PS2/GC/XB era, new games were usually $70 and EB usually sold them for $75). 

I wonder if an increase in the price of games will ultimately lead to an increase in the cost of Gamepass and PS Now. 

I would hope that an increase in price could lead to more pricing tiers with the $70 tag being for your big budget triple A games. I think that would be more fair, which means probably not going to happen.

I don’t think this would had been nearly the issue had Sony and Microsoft come out and said there would be an increase this gen. But it was 2K, the company that put a roulette wheel in their basketball game. So I understand the out rage. I also realize, the average consumer that buys only their Madden and Call of Duty every year are just going to shrug and figure it’s the cost of buying a next gen game.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I wonder if an increase in the price of games will ultimately lead to an increase in the cost of Gamepass and PS Now. 

I think it's inevitable we'll see price increases for the various services in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I would hope that an increase in price could lead to more pricing tiers with the $70 tag being for your big budget triple A games. I think that would be more fair, which means probably not going to happen.

Tiered pricing for services you mean, or games in general? I do actually think we'll see more variation in game prices next gen. Tiered pricing for Game Pass would be interesting, but right now there doesn't seem to be much consistency in terms of balance with regards to how many games of a certain size/budget make it on there, so there could be occasions where some customers on a lower tier feel short changed. I definitely think we'll see all these services evolve in some fashion though.

Related to the likelihood of Game Pass some day increasing its price. I clicked on the Twitter notice of the latest Game Pass announcements to see if there was any information about The Touryst having 4k/HDR on Xbox and it was staggering how many replies were people pissing and moaning about Game Pass being poor value and having nothing for them. Even at its current price some people feel THAT fucking entitled.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the “upgrade” strategy, and why they did it the way they did became clear this week. The last gen versions are heavily discounted for Black Friday, but the next gen versions are not. The next gen systems have only be out for a week so they would have hated to discount them so quickly. 

I still don’t like it, but I understand it. I wonder if they might patch in a paid upgrade at some point. 

EA on the other hand are essentially selling next gen Madden and FIFA for half price right now, and the games aren’t even out yet since they offered a free upgrade.