LCVG

Superhot: Mind Control Delete — Out July 16 (PS4, Xbox One, Steam, Epic, GOG), Free for Owners of the Original

Who’s up for a sequel to this awesome indie game?

Out a week from today.

Even better, if you already own the original, you get this game for free!

Who is eligible for a free copy of SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE? 
You’re eligible for a free copy of MCD if you purchased SUPERHOT before the 16th of July 2020 for Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, Epic Games Store, Origin, or GOG. This does not extend to major free giveaways like Twitch Prime, Games With Gold, and similar.

Basically, if you purchased SUPERHOT for one of the supported platforms and paid money for it at any time before the 16th of July 2020, then you’re probably a fantastic human being and you’re eligible for a free copy of SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE. How you acquire your free copy varies from platform to platform – see details below.

If you received the game as freebie through something like Games with Gold, you don’t get the sequel, however. More in the FAQ linked above.

This is an unexpected surprise — and a delightful one! I really enjoyed the first. It will be interesting to see where they take the concept in the sequel.

I think my Superhot is via Twitch Prime and my Superhot VR in Steam is from a Humble Bundle, so I don't know I'll get a freebie. Kind of feel like the game ran the gamut of what's possible with the concept the first time, so will see what happens.

6 hours ago, Magness said:

Awesome that they are doing this for owners of SH. I really liked the original but, SH VR was on a whole other level for me. I’m happy to get SH MCD free though :) Hopefully they decide to work on a VR version next. 

This.  The regular version was good, but the VR version was on a whole other level.  I think I sold a few people on a quest by letting them try Superhot and Beat Saber. 

I think I bought this on Xbox?  I'll have to go back and check on the console, but still awesome that it's free for owners.

Regarding the lack of a VR version, the developer does touch on why there isn’t one in the FAQ:

Is MIND CONTROL DELETE coming to VR?
We don’t have any plans at the moment to re-create the MCD experience for VR.  It’s important to remember that VR is not only a different platform – it’s an entirely different way of interacting with games and it comes with its own design and hardware challenges. SUPERHOT VR was created from scratch as an entirely separate game to emulate the SUPERHOT experience in VR, and it was a BIG undertaking. We aren’t starting any BIG undertakings right now. Should this change, we’ll let you guys know.

That makes, I guess. Perhaps we’ll see one further down the line.

Cezary Skorupka, co-director on Mind Control Delete, wrote a refreshingly honest blog post about the game’s development for the PlayStation Blog:

The development was long, hard, and eventful. We made a decision to go into early access to gather feedback from people, which threw us into high speed development mode we weren’t used to. The team was rapidly growing, and so was the project. Features piled up, new ideas came one after another, and we couldn’t resist adding MORE stuff to it. Everything seemed to fit, all was going so well. At least until we crashed head-first into a brick wall. 

After more than a year and a half of development we felt tired and decided: “let’s stop here and look at what we have.” Unfortunately, we realized that we had created a monstrosity. An abomination consisting of too much stuff — unpolished, unoptimized, cryptic, and confusing, with no clear story or purpose. Our drive for MORE exhausted us; the project became too heavy, weighed us down.

Thankfully, the project turned out to their liking at the end.

It sounds like one of the goals this time out was creating a less linear game than the original. If that’s the case, it should be pretty exciting to play. The first definitely felt like there was a “right” way to play through each level and the goal was to figure out what sequence to do everything in. If they can make a game that’s more dynamic gameplay-wise, it should be very exciting.

• 2 weeks later...