LCVG

Xbox 2 - No HDD??

Josh

Got my new issue last night, and The Q reports that the Xbox2 will begin to be revealed this Spring, will show up in a smaller form factor, and will NOT have a hard drive. Did I read this right? Doesn't this sound like a step backward? I'm confused.

This rumour's been doing the rounds thanks to some dodgy XBox site, even before this issue. I suspect there's a bunch of miscommunication going on.

There are strong rumours (again...) of a "XboxNext" this year - essentially an Xbox with a smaller form factor, cheaper internal costs etc. Of course, we had the exact same rumours last year.

There are weak rumours of XBox2 or the miniXB not having a HD. I don't see this happening, or if it does, it's because Microsoft are replacing it with a big phat flashcard or something. Existing games presume they have a cache partition, save partition etc - something would have to mimic these for existing titles to run on it.

So if there is any truth to this rumour, I suspect we're only hearing half the story.

I've been reading this rumor lately and the main reason to me why it makes no sense at all is the simply fact of XBL. Sure they could use huge flash cards or other forms of removable media, but this makes even less sense to me when you look at the cost difference.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy the next Xbox, but I would surely be disappointed if the features I've grown to love (CST, DLC, Load times, etc.) were missing.

In the end, it makes a nice discussion topic, but until Microsoft says so, it's just a rumor.

Edit: Fixed the thread title for you High Definition whores ;)

It could also mean they'll use some sort of removable medium, perhaps even like the new 2 and 4 gig 1-inch drives. They'd be like hot-swappable hard disks in place of memory cards, if you will. This would solve several things:

1) Portability. Finally you can bring your XBL account with you. If your Xbox fails or you get a new one, no big deal.

2) Tack-on sales for Microsoft and a lower unit cost. Sell the XB2 for $299 and sell the disks for $99. Cashmoney.

3) Backward compatibility. It'll still be a HD, so all the old games will run and the new ones can still cache / stream.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Jan 8 2004, 01:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Jan 8 2004, 01:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stencil@Jan 8 2004, 01:25 PM

1) Portability. Finally you can bring your XBL account with you. If your Xbox fails or you get a new one, no big deal.

But I do that now with an old-fashioned memory card!

-j [/b]

Except you're limited to what will fit on your conventional mem' card.

Originally posted by stencil@Jan 8 2004, 01:25 PM

It could also mean they'll use some sort of removable medium, perhaps even like the new 2 and 4 gig 1-inch drives. They'd be like hot-swappable hard disks in place of memory cards, if you will. This would solve several things:

2) Tack-on sales for Microsoft and a lower unit cost. Sell the XB2 for $299 and sell the disks for $99. Cashmoney.

3) Backward compatibility. It'll still be a HD, so all the old games will run and the new ones can still cache / stream.

1) What if the HDD fails? As Jay said, your XBL account can be stored on a memory card or you can just recover it from the Dashboard of a friends Xbox.

2) IMO, this would be suicide for Microsoft, especially at a price point like that.

3) This would depend entirely on the way the partitions are handled. With the 3 cache partitions on the current Xbox almost taking up 3GB of space, it would be hard to use the 1" micro drives.

Originally posted by Sam P@Jan 8 2004, 02:02 PM

Except you're limited to what will fit on your conventional mem' card.

The only thing that won't fit on your memory card are save files like KOTOR which are just too big to fit. Heck, it wouldn't fit on any of the other consoles memory cards either. There are certain games as well, like Kung Fu Chaos, that will not allow you to copy the cache file. So, it's not really that you're limited to what will "fit", you're limited to what you "can" copy.

I think it's still just a bit too early to tell exactly what the Xbox II, or whatever it will be called, will have for it's FINAL specs.

I remember only a few months before the Xbox released that there was a rumor going around that there would be 128mb of memory and an even larger hard drive.

When Uncle Bill says what's going to be in the Xbox, then I'll start believing it.

I think this is all a bunch of made-up-shit!

A large hard drive will be dirt-cheap by the time the next 'Box arrives. It's a no-brainer unless there's a new affordable high-capacity storage technology that I'm not aware of. ( which is a possibility I admit :green: )

Check out the gamespy article, also about XBOX2, PS3, and GC2:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/january04/...extgenconsoles/

This article seemed slanted to the negative a bit (particularly for XBOX and GC). Since they are speculating anyway, why not do it in a positive way? I love hype. It is fun. Hype fuels forums like this. Tell me the PS3 will be 1000 times faster than the PS2. Tell me that Zelda online will be a launch title for GC 2. Tell me that XBOX will support 1080i for all games. None of this boring downer talk. I am a fanboy damn it!

I don't believe any of this shit until Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft reveal what they are producing themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't have a dozen mock up Xbox2 consoles sitting around running the gamut from no HDD to something even bigger than the Xbox1. Even if someone saw "the real" specs for these things, none of them are Xbox2's until MS says it is.

Now a leak a week or two before E3 where the consoles are revealed, that deserves consideration. Right now this is just too much BS to even conjecture about...

This article seemed slanted to the negative a bit

GameSpy slants in numerous directions quite frequently, if you ask me.

I nearly bruised a rib laughing so hard last week when they had their big headline on how the N-Gage was going to turn itself around and become an excellent, worthwhile game system that every gamer should have, all the while looking at the N-Gage logo slathered all over the place since Nokia had bought up enough ad space to decorate the entire site.

Very objective commentary on the system there :green:.

Here's an interview with Robbie Bach on the next Xbox.

Robbie Bach interview

Question: Some chatter about Xbox II suggests there won't be a harddisk, any truth in that?

Mr. Bach: People hear lots of things, but all we've really talked about so far is our technology partners for our next console. We're working with ATI Technologies for its graphics and IBM on CPU technology. That's all we've revealed and with so many Xbox units left to sell, that's what we're focused on now.

Boy, that's not exactly a denial, is it? Nor does it sound like backwards-compatability is a done deal. Hmm. Remember a few years ago when all the rage was the idea that programs like Excel and Word and Photoshop could be stored on central servers and you would purchase access to them but not have to own the actual disks? Could games be delivered the same way?

From the article...

Our next game console will connect to them allowing you to access all that media in addition to games

By allowing the next Xbox to access PC's on a network (atleast from what it sounds like) in theory they could use the HDD space on client PC's to store data from the Xbox.

This would definitely keep the costs down by not having the HDD in the console. But, at the same time, security would be key to having this happen.

Oh well, we'll know what's in the next Xbox soon enough :)

Originally posted by Buck@Jan 15 2004, 05:01 AM

By allowing the next Xbox to access PC's on a network (atleast from what it sounds like) in theory they could use the HDD space on client PC's to store data from the Xbox.

This would definitely keep the costs down by not having the HDD in the console. But, at the same time, security would be key to having this happen.

Quite apart from the fact that security would be a complete nightmare, this only keeps the cost down for people who have a PC, and want to leave it on not doing anything very much except serve game content. All of a sudden, rather than saving ?30 you're adding ?400 to the price.

If you really want to have fun, we need to start combining these rumors together.

IE:

Ed Fries resigns because the X-Box 2 won't have a HDD or backwards compatiblity and that fallout will cause a delay in the release of Halo 2, which they're thinking of making an X-Box 2 launch title.

I think we can have this picked up by news sites in a couple of days ;).