LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

So you want to buy a next-gen console?

Next-Gen Decisions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Next-Gen Console Are You Buying?

• Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Neither, PC is the new Console
    • All of the Above
  2. 2. Your next-gen console of choice is out of stock. What do you do hot shot?

• I wanted a PS5, but whatever, I'll get an Xbox now. Or vice versa.
    • Um, pay double on eBay
    • Wait.
  3. 3. Will you wait in line to get your console at a store?

• Yes
    • No
    • You can buy things in stores?

PS5 only for now but open to getting both if the Xbox has something I want at launch. If not, Series X a few months later. I’ll own both. Just a matter of time.

• Like 1

Series X at launch. I'll defer a PS5 to next Spring at the earliest, but looking at my gaming habits/needs these days, and my life/future in general, I've been thinking more recently that I could happily wait a year or two on the PlayStation as I'll have plenty to distract me game wise for a long time between Switch and Xbox. The release of a game that I suspect would absolutely break me would be the next God of War as I think that ended up being the most satisfying of the PS4 exclusives for me, and the one I am most eager to play the sequel for.   

PS5 without question. Love what Sony gave me this gen and I want to play their exclusives far more than the Xbox stuff.

• Like 1

New PC build is on the roadmap for next year. After the new console craze dies down.:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Series X at launch. I'll defer a PS5 to next Spring at the earliest, but looking at my gaming habits/needs these days, and my life/future in general, I've been thinking more recently that I could happily wait a year or two on the PlayStation as I'll have plenty to distract me game wise for a long time between Switch and Xbox. The release of a game that I suspect would absolutely break me would be the next God of War as I think that ended up being the most satisfying of the PS4 exclusives for me, and the one I am most eager to play the sequel for.   

It's absolutely coming but I doubt its within the first two years (next God of War I mean).

You are a far stronger person than I with regard to waiting on a PS5 for that long. Specifically since you have missed out on the last year or so of major exclusive releases including a massive the likes of The Last of Us 2 which I figure will be one of the first "Enhanced for" titles on the console. This year has been sheer insanity on the exclusive front for PS4. Even moreso than the last year of the PS3 which already set a high bar. The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy VII Remake to name a few. So by the time you end up getting one, you're going to have a LOT of catching up to do.

Again, your willpower is admirable my friend.:)

• Like 2

PS5 first most likely if I can afford it and find one.

I am willing to have my mind changed though. 

I might wait if the prices are higher, otherwise I'll likely get them both at launch.

PS5 ASAP.

Still not sure about the X - maybe two years down the road when the first new exclusives are to arrive and depending on their reception.

Let’s go through these questions one by one.

1. Which Next-Gen Console Are You Buying?

This question doesn’t specify when I’m buying the next gen consoles, so I assume it does not necessarily mean “buy at launch.”

The truth is I’ve been a three-console gamer since the PS2/GameCube/Xbox days. I’d be lying to myself (and all of you) if I said that I wouldn’t own all three systems again. It’s just a question of when. I have previously said that if the combined price of these two machines is low enough — say around $1,000 — I’ll buy both at launch.

Failing that, I will for sure buy the Xbox Series X first. Between Halo: Infinite, backwards compatibility (for both hardware and software), and Game Pass, it seems like it will offer the best value for my money. I still have a lot of Xbox One games in my backlog (including eight Assassin’s Creed games), so it will be nice to have a system that can play all of my old games (and presumably run them better to boot).

2. Your next-gen console of choice is out of stock. What do you do hot shot?

Well, if I can’t secure an Xbox Series X at launch and have to “settle” for a PS5, that’s not exactly a bad deal, is it? I see at least two games that I want to play on PS5 immediately: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Kena: Bridge of Spirits. If I’m really itching to play Halo: Infinite, I can play that on my Xbox One X too.

3. Will you wait in line to get your console at a store?

I have never waited in line at a store to buy a console at launch. All the consoles I’ve ever purchased at launch (GameCube, Wii, PS4, Xbox One X) were bought online and delivered to my front door. I don’t expect that to change now.

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

It's absolutely coming but I doubt its within the first two years (next God of War I mean).

You are a far stronger person than I with regard to waiting on a PS5 for that long. Specifically since you have missed out on the last year or so of major exclusive releases including a massive the likes of The Last of Us 2 which I figure will be one of the first "Enhanced for" titles on the console. This year has been sheer insanity on the exclusive front for PS4. Even moreso than the last year of the PS3 which already set a high bar. The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy VII Remake to name a few. So by the time you end up getting one, you're going to have a LOT of catching up to do.

Funnily enough, it's having been without a PS4 for the last eighteen months that's left me feeling as though I could wait longer. That wasn't my plan, as I deliberately gave myself that space so that I'd have several of those missed PS4 games to play early in the PS5's life while we wait for a steadier stream of major PS5 releases. We'll see. Weirdly I miss my XB1 X more than I do the PS4 Pro, but I think that's down to only having the X for a very short period of time. On games again, there's third party stuff like RE2, RE3, Spyro Collection...etc that I want to catch up on too, which I do have that irritating "they belong on playstation" mindset over, but I know I could nevertheless play those on Xbox. 

I'd really like to know more about Sony's backwards compatible library and what games will have performance enhancements. I'm starting to find their silence on that front a little irritating. I know it'll come, but this period where we're not getting any hardware deep dives and tech team interviews because they know they only have to do the bare minimum in PR is getting a little boring now.  

Ultimately for me it's a balancing act in figuring out how to juggle time, and most importantly money, spent on games between the three systems. I can do it with two as I did with the Switch and PS4 combo, but I'm not sure how a third system will fit in just yet. I literally have to maintain an excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything I'd like to play/buy across the three platforms. I'm curious when we'll see a slowdown in major first party Switch titles as that may help. Nintendo have really delivered the goods for me in the time I've been without either of the more powerful consoles, and at the very least I can bank on Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid and hopefully that alleged Mario 3D Collection (while still having titles like Paper Mario that I'd like to grab) over the next twelve/eighteen months.

Thinking about it more, it will probably be Silent Hill that breaks me rather than God of War 2, which I'd presume will come sooner. So I'll be keeping an eye on whether that becomes a reality or not, and when it's due. I wouldn't necessarily scramble to buy one the day that game were to come out, but realistically I'm probably looking at late 2021 for a PS5, as that'd give myself time with more new Switch releases for the year ahead, Halo, Forza, Ori, third party purchases like Tony Hawks and Cyberpunk, and whatever third party stuff takes my fancy on Game Pass. I know I'm going to be more than good for games in 2021.

Of course, if the Series X were priced at $500/£450, but Sony came out and dropped all of the mics with $400/£350 then all my plans probably change. :) 

I think I want a series X mainly because I fancy having a second Xbox for Co-op Destiny and other games that stubbornly refuse to have split screen, and it just makes sense to have the new one given I’ve got a 4K TV rather than a second S. I’m sure there will be fancy new games I want to play, too. 

Building a second desktop PC isn’t ideal because I’ve done the living room PC and it’s the wrong side of the convenience barrier. And while I know I can’t escape upgrading this Haswell processor forever, it’s just about coping fine bar some games that the Xbox plays. 

My PC is called Thanos. It sort of snapped away the necessity for a Series X.

Though if the PS5 isn't available, and the Series X is, I will totally get a series X. I'm upgrading my home theater and I need a shiny and new 4K content generator.

Online for me. But if online sells out, I'll put a mask on and go get me a new console.

What kind of budgets are people putting aside in anticipation, assuming a maximum of $500 for either console + however much you anticipate spending on games and subscriptions? I expect to coast through the holiday season primarily with a Game Pass sub, plus purchases of a couple of third party titles (Tony Hawk's remasters most definitely), while taking advantage of any tempting discounts in Microsoft's end of year sale.

Feel free to also share your bank account details.

XSX to start with-given that I have GamePass Ultimate through 2022, it seems crazy not to get one.  I'm anticipating being in for close to $800 by the time all is said and done, assuming that price goes as high as $699 CAD and adding a second controller into the mix.  I'm down to 2 XB1 controllers, so I'm waiting until the new ones are out to replenish. 

Ps5 exclusives look cool, and I missed out on all the Ps4 ones, but between the Xbox, PC, and Switch, I barely have time to keep up with those releases.  Last time I had all the consoles was the 360/ps3, and that playstation barely got used outside of being a BR player.  Might get one eventually (I was close on a ps4 to play Spider-Man), but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

What kind of budgets are people putting aside in anticipation, assuming a maximum of $500 for either console + however much you anticipate spending on games and subscriptions?

System - 500

TLOUPII - 60

Spider-Man Miles Morales - 60

Kena - 60

I expect i'll need $700-$800

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What kind of budgets are people putting aside in anticipation, assuming a maximum of $500 for either console + however much you anticipate spending on games and subscriptions?

I'm anywhere between $1,000 and $1,500 for all of this crap. Assuming the price of the two consoles is the same, I expect to spend less on the Series X overall because I won't need to purchase Halo: Infinite. I also have a Game Pass sub through the beginning of August next year. The fact that I won't have to buy new controllers will also help me save money. I believe Sony has said that Dual Shock 4s will work on PS5 as well, but I don't know if they said they will work on PS5 games. I assume they will, but you never know.

One thing I am planning on doing is pre-ordering through Best Buy. I have a credit card with them and can get deferred interest on purchases. Right now I'm still paying off the iPad Pro and iPhone XS I bought in March 2019, but those payments will be done by October, leaving me free to spend an outrageous amount of money on new gaming hardware. Yay!

• Like 1

For the most part, I only do major rack renovations with each console generation, so I’ve been socking away money for a couple of years in anticipation of remaking the rack with the new consoles. I figure I’m in for a max of $5k. Probably $1500 in consoles and accessories and maybe $2500 or so for a new receiver if a suitable one emerges. I might also pick up an amp (or substitute an amp if I don’t like the receiver options.) I’ve already picked up some new power conditioners and PDUs, and will probably add a nice HDMI switch, so I can hook up as many legacy consoles as possible (modded Dreamcast, GameCube and N64 primarily.)

• Stunned 1

28 minutes ago, JFo said:

I'm anywhere between $1,000 and $1,500 for all of this crap. Assuming the price of the two consoles is the same, I expect to spend less on the Series X overall because I won't need to purchase Halo: Infinite. I also have a Game Pass sub through the beginning of August next year. The fact that I won't have to buy new controllers will also help me save money. I believe Sony has said that Dual Shock 4s will work on PS5 as well, but I don't know if they said they will work on PS5 games. I assume they will, but you never know.

It's funny how easily Game Pass made the console decision making process for me as far as deciding which to invest in first. Even if the PS5 came in at a cheaper price than a SeriesX I'd probably still lean to Microsoft first because I'm going to have access to more games than I could ever afford to buy in the first year of owning a PS5. If the first party launch lineup titles look promising then the deal is all the sweeter.

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'll guess somewhere around $1,250, since I'm picking up both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X at launch, but it'll be a good bit less out of pocket.  I kept hoarding Amazon gift cards I'd get from family members (and from Verizon Up and Microsoft Rewards), waiting for something amazing, and...errr, a couple years later, I guess this is it.  By the time these consoles launch, I'll have close to $500 stockpiled, so that's one down, at least.

In terms of games, I have no idea what'll actually be out around launch.  I've learned my lesson about buying too many games at once, so I'm sure I'll just limit myself to 1 or 2 per console, and I'll let family fill in the rest.  One of the upsides about having a mid-November birthday and family members who have no idea what to get me unless I expressly tell them!  I'm also stupid enough to buy physical copies of games I can get at no additional cost via GamePass.

I don't see myself spending anything on accessories this time around.  Thanks to XB1 controllers being forward-compatible, there's no need to invest in a second controller for the XBSX.  Unless there's a good couch co-op game at launch for the PS5, there's no need for a second controller there.  Don't need a media remote.  Don't need a camera.

I'm good for PS+, although my GamePass Ultimate runs out in October, so I'll have to pony up at some point. Maybe there'll be some good deals tomorrow during the big shebang.

• Like 1

At the moment money for the Xbox. Halo and whatever other MS Studio games are released should be on Game Pass. I’ll probably still be playing avengers which gets a fee update, and xwing.

I'm waiting for a Switch Pro. I haven't played my Xbox One in over two years and I haven't played my PS4 since my PSVR died a few months ago (for the last couple of years, the only game I would play on my PS4 was Beat Saber). The only thing I play all the time right now is my Switch/Switch Lite.