LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

So you want to buy a next-gen console?

Next-Gen Decisions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Next-Gen Console Are You Buying?

• Xbox Series X
    • PS5
    • Neither, PC is the new Console
    • All of the Above
  2. 2. Your next-gen console of choice is out of stock. What do you do hot shot?

• I wanted a PS5, but whatever, I'll get an Xbox now. Or vice versa.
    • Um, pay double on eBay
    • Wait.
  3. 3. Will you wait in line to get your console at a store?

• Yes
    • No
    • You can buy things in stores?

What proportion of those getting the PS5 are going digital vs physical? It's something I keep coming back to every now and again.

Strangely I'd feel perfectly happy with a SeriesX that lacked an optical drive as I really look at the system as a scaled down PC, but most rumours only point to lockhart being the all digital download option in Microsoft's lineup. The PS5 I'm still a touch uncertain about though, but would say I'm leaning 90% for the drive based model.

Outside of Last Guardian I have no physical PS4 discs, and that was the last one I bought before buying everything in sales from the PSN Store in the years that followed. The option to buy a game physically and trade it in proved useful to me early in the PS4's life, however, and I suspect it could be again with its successor, but I was buying more games on release then, whereas midway through the PS4's cycle I lost that sense of urgency (so over the time, the saving I'd make back in trading a disc for cash worked out similarly to the saving I'd make just waiting and buying a title on sale on the PS Store).

The UK is also now facing the threat of an ill conceived digital sales tax and I'm not sure I'd want to have to put up with that buying digitally across three systems (I've never bought a Switch game physically).

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

What proportion of those getting the PS5 are going digital vs physical? It's something I keep coming back to every now and again.

Strangely I'd feel perfectly happy with a SeriesX that lacked an optical drive as I really look at the system as a scaled down PC, but most rumours only point to lockhart being the all digital download option in Microsoft's lineup. The PS5 I'm still a touch uncertain about though, but would say I'm leaning 90% for the drive based model.

Outside of Last Guardian I have no physical PS4 discs, and that was the last one I bought before buying everything in sales from the PSN Store in the years that followed. The option to buy a game physically and trade it in proved useful to me early in the PS4's life, however, and I suspect it could be again with its successor, but I was buying more games on release then, whereas midway through the PS4's cycle I lost that sense of urgency (so over the time, the saving I'd make back in trading a disc for cash worked out similarly to the saving I'd make just waiting and buying a title on sale on the PS Store).

The UK is also now facing the threat of an ill conceived digital sales tax and I'm not sure I'd want to have to put up with that buying digitally across three systems (I've never bought a Switch game physically).

Physical for me, no interest in digital only.

1 hour ago, iainl said:

My wipEout games are all physical copies, thanks.

Same, but what good are they to us on a PS5? I've half a mind to hook up my old slim PS2 whenever I get a receiver again.

Oh, I'd forgotten we didn't have BC info yet; I'd assumed somehow we were getting it. Possibly because there's little chance of me rushing to one without it.

I’m opting for the disc-based PS5.  Curse my collector’s mentality!  Plus pretty much all of my PS4 titles are on-disc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What proportion of those getting the PS5 are going digital vs physical?

According  to this poll, about 59% will get the regular one and 41% digital. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

I’m opting for the disc-based PS5.  Curse my collector’s mentality!  Plus pretty much all of my PS4 titles are on-disc.

Same.  While I don’t purchase as many games as I used to, I do tend to get the Collector’s Edition when I do.

For example:  TloU2, Days Gone, God of War, Spider-Man, etc.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm expecting PS1 and PS2 bc to be cloud based, if we are to even get it at all that is. 

I'd have thought that now Sony have got a half decent emulator up and running on the ARM-based Mini that a ludicrously powerful AMD would be up to handling the same.

2 hours ago, JFo said:

According  to this poll, about 59% will get the regular one and 41% digital. 

Well I hardly see how that's relevant.

Spoiler

Sorry, Jeff. Completely forgot we'd all had this discussion before. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iainl said:

I'd have thought that now Sony have got a half decent emulator up and running on the ARM-based Mini that a ludicrously powerful AMD would be up to handling the same.

Given how they botched the mini though I wouldn't be so confident. If anything the mini was an indication that they're really not that invested in this, but we'll see. Any means to enjoy older PS1 and PS2 games, enhanced, would be welcome. 

I’ve got fewer physical games for the PS4 than any other system save the Switch, but I still have a couple. Unless the savings are insane, I’ll likely get a PS5 with disc drive just so I have all my bases covered, plus physical media player in the game room.

So I've actually been struggling with which console to purchase at launch. I'm heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem, so having the backwards compatibility is a huge selling point, especially at launch. But I haven't really been impressed with anything other than the power of the hardware for the Series X.

I've only really been enjoying my PS4 in the past few years thanks to exclusives and PSVR, and I'm pretty stoked to try the new controller. Plus I think the console looks ugly as sin, but I absolutely love that about it. I'm excited to show that off on a shelf.

I know I'll end up with both at some point, sooner rather than later. And I've got company stock that I've been buying for the past 6 months, so that should clear me for at least one of the consoles at launch.

PS5 for me. Sony’s games speak to me in a way the games on Xbox currently do not. I need the next Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, etc.

Kind of funny, while Gamepass seems to be most people’s reason for getting a Series X, that and having an X is the reason I can wait. I’ll be perfectly content playing on my X until the need to upgrade which seems at least a year away, probably longer because Fable, Forza, and Avowed don’t seem anywhere close.

I’m planning on $500 for the console. And then the rest I’m not sure yet. There asr still things we need to learn before I decide on everything. And whether I go with a drive or without will come down to pricing. If we are talking just a $50, which seems likely, then I will probably go physical. Though I still plan on buying most stuff digitally.

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Kind of funny, while Gamepass seems to be most people’s reason for getting a Series X, that and having an X is the reason I can wait. I’ll be perfectly content playing on my X until the need to upgrade which seems at least a year away, probably longer because Fable, Forza, and Avowed don’t seem anywhere close.

Interestingly I feel like I'm lured toward picking up the SeriesX first for the greater variety of games I could play over the holidays. Even when I look at the PS4 games I've yet to play and would plan to pick up on PS5, it's largely a list of RPGs and several of PS4's many third person action games, so I'm a little worried I'd get genre fatigue quickly if I go for a PS5 this year, whereas on SeriesX I know I can dive into Ori, Forza Horizon 4, Flight Sim, The Medium and a variety of Game Pass stuff. 

That said, I still can't say I'm 100% on SeriesX at launch. How both systems are priced, and any features we don't yet know about with PS5, could sway me the other way. 

I’m triggered by how these questions were written. As such I voted several times using various VPNs as to make the results statistically dubious.

I’ll be getting a PS5 though and I hope it’s not too big or noisy.