LCVG

The Analogue FPGA Thread - Analogue Pocket and PC Engine/Duo systems announced.

Angry the Clown

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Good to know demand is there.  That should make the production runs a higher priority.

There will be another run, absolutely but I'm not a fan of the "artificial scarcity" tactic Analogue uses here and with most of their product launches. It works for them, no doubt. I was there at 11am to make sure I got one so I can't ding them /that/ much on it effectively using the boutique nature of this item to their advantage but they could have made this an open pre-order for their initial manufacturing run at the very least. Instead they leverage that FOMO to get fence sitters to jump. It creates a seriously ugly scalper-powered black market for their products which I think at this point is intentional and that sucks. Subsequent runs being limited pre-order? Fair enough. By that point you will have cleared out the big demand and I can see being much more careful about controlling inventory.

I should add, a limited pre-order for an item that doesn't ship for 8 months, too. I mean, come on.

I passed, as the shipping and import duties are a killer for this from the UK. But I have to say, when you're making a product like this that is aimed so explicitly at a premium market, there is absolutely no excuse for making a glass screen an optional extra rather than built in. It's just messy and ugly, and there's no excuse.

I'm still enormously tempted by the Super NT and Mega SG if they're ever to become available again, but yes the import costs from them make it so damn difficult. Somewhat ridiculous to even want them with my hacked SNES mini and my Mini Megadrive (yet to be hacked) right in front of me though, which are perfectly fine, but I'd love to use my original carts someday so I hope their consoles are available for several more years. The pocket has greater appeal, but my Gameboys still work and I am probably better off just buying one of those GB cartridges that you can install "backups" to. 

55 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm still enormously tempted by the Super NT and Mega SG if they're ever to become available again, but yes the import costs from them make it so damn difficult. Somewhat ridiculous to even want them with my hacked SNES mini and my Mini Megadrive (yet to be hacked) right in front of me though, which are perfectly fine, but I'd love to use my original carts someday so I hope their consoles are available for several more years. The pocket has greater appeal, but my Gameboys still work and I am probably better off just buying one of those GB cartridges that you can install "backups" to. 

The Mega SG is readily available and Analogue has said for Suoer NT will get a restock later this year. Even outside of the use of carts, the Mega SG jailbreak firmware makes it worth every penny, for $200 you get a top quality FPGA recreation of the Genesis and an Everdrive in one package. The Super NT has a jailbreak as well but is lacking support for some of the special chip games.

Speaking purely personally, I have zero nostalgia for either Megadrive or SNES, as we didn't have the latter and I never got on with the former when my brother had it (I was an Amiga kid). But while all my Gameboys still work, it was only when we got a 2DS that we had a Nindendo portable device in our house with a screen that wasn't terrible by current standards - what I'd really love is just my GBA SP with the screen off a modern phone, please.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, iainl said:

Speaking purely personally, I have zero nostalgia for either Megadrive or SNES, as we didn't have the latter and I never got on with the former when my brother had it (I was an Amiga kid). But while all my Gameboys still work, it was only when we got a 2DS that we had a Nindendo portable device in our house with a screen that wasn't terrible by current standards - what I'd really love is just my GBA SP with the screen off a modern phone, please.

A few things:

1. SNES/Genesis are two of the greatest consoles ever made. You're missing out.:)

2. The GBA SP model AGS-101 is pretty comparable to the DS-Lite screen brightness wise. It's not as defined and lacks the much brighter color reproduction but its a damned solid way to play the GB/GBA titles. AGS-101's are harder to come by and generally sell in the $80-90 dollar range depending on the condition. 

3. The Nintendo DS-Lite is a gorgeous screen and one of my favorite ways to play GB/GBA titles. It's also relatively cheap, too. You can get a DS Lite for $50-$60. 

4. There are a myriad of screen mods available for the GBA including high quality IPS screens like this one:

https://www.retromodding.com/collections/gameboy-advance/products/game-boy-advance-ips-lcd

It will generally offer you exactly what you're looking for. A GBA with a modern screen. The mod does require some soldering so if you're not comfy with that you would have to pay someone and it's usually about $80-$100 for the work.

5. A Gamecube/GB Add-on that has been soft-modded or running the GCLoader to run Swiss and the open source Game Boy Interface program is an utterly fantastic way to play GB/GBA titles on a modern screen. Especially if you have the Gamecube component cables or are using one of the newer HDMI plug in modules like the Insurrection Carby: https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/carby-v2/

6. Finally, the ultimate mod if you just want to play the games at home on a screen is the GBA Consolizer by Woozle. He's also working on a Nintendo DS Consolizer at the moment which is exciting. This requires a good bit of modding work so the mod itself isn't cheap and neither is the work. A pre-modded system will run you in the neighborhood of $350 ( the Pocket doesn't seem so expensive now, does it?). The kit itself runs about $140. They also sell enclosures to house the parts if you want to make it less portable. It also includes the ability to plug in standard SNES controllers to use. Take a look at this video:

In other words, you have a myriad of options at your disposal to get at the experience you want with the Game Boy and its variants. However, as you review these options you start to see why the Pocket is such an amazing piece of hardware for its price. For $300 you get a fully portable device with an incredible modern screen, a fully functional dock with HDMI output (and analog output using their DAC), and when jailbroken - access to a myriad of portable libraries including the Game Gear, Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket. Or you can get the cart adapters to play your existing carts for those libraries. 

It ain't cheap but when compared to the mod options? It's a damned steal.

Thanks Romier. If I see a cheap DS Lite I may well grab one; we had the original DS and the screen on that isn't great, either. Then Finn went straight to the DSi XL, which doesn't have the GBA slot.

If I felt up to remembering how to do all the jailbreak stuff, what I really should do is find out where my blasted son put my PSP and put a GBA emulator on that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Analogue puts up a post about 2021 and the Pocket including confirmation that the pocket is not a “limited edition” product and more stock will be made available this year. Along with additional bot protection during check out and more.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360052609632-2021-Pocket-Bots-Scalpers-Limited-Quantities-vs-Limited-Editions-and-Customer-Support-2-22-21

• 2 weeks later...

This has become the catch all Analogue thread so I’ve renamed it as such.

I just paid for the Analogue Mini Noir on EBay. I got one for $50 over original cost so I can’t complain too much! I’m selling my RetroUSB AVS very soon if anyone is interested.

• Romier S changed the title to The Analogue FPGA Thread - Analogue Pocket and PC Engine/Duo systems announced.

The jailbreak on this thing is NUTS. Over 10 additional system cores supported including NES, Atari 7600, 7800, Sega Master System, Genesis, Intellivision, Colecovision, Game Gear, Game Boy and Game Boy Color and much much more!

• 3 weeks later...