LCVG

The Analogue FPGA Thread - Analogue Pocket and PC Engine/Duo systems announced.

Angry the Clown

I can totally understand the delay because of the global chip shortage and logistical issues related to COVID. But wasn't the Pocket supposed to come out in April 2021? If so, telling customers on March 31st that it will delayed until October 2021 seems kind of lame. Like they didn't know it was going to be delayed earlier? And linking an article about the Suez Canal blockage that happened this past week doesn't really make any sense.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

Is it still supposed to ship in October 2021?

That's the target date, yes.

You'll notice they announced the Duo ages and haven't moved forward with a pre-order for it yet so at least they seemed to have learned from the Pocket debacle. I mean, its hard to really blame them much for a global chip shortage but a year out from a product pre-order is good will killing to say the least. Especially when we're talking about most buyers having nearly $400 wrapped up in this.

1 hour ago, Angel P said:

Damn.  I want one (or both) but know I don't need it (them).  Anyone here have the Super NT or Sega SG?

I feel like I should own one, but I don’t know which. The Super NES is my favourite system and the one I’d want the most, but the Mega SG offers much more versatility with its jailbreak. 

I really wish they’d just make one that plays everything (ya right).  

25 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I feel like I should own one, but I don’t know which. The Super NES is my favourite system and the one I’d want the most, but the Mega SG offers much more versatility with its jailbreak. 

I really wish they’d just make one that plays everything (ya right).  

The Analogue Pocket + Dock may be just that. The fact that it has a second FPGA there for anyone to create cores on means it could end up being a portable MiSTer is a lot of ways (lack of add-ones like memory make the MiSTer more flexible and likely more powerful) but it’s an option.

Otherwise, the MiSTer is exactly what you’re looking for if you don’t care about playing original carts.

Not only do you get excellent cores for SNES, Genesis and practically every other well known retro console but the community just got a Saturn core up and running (still early days) and there’s a slew of arcade cores out there. It’s a bad ass little device!

When they are in stock, a preconfigured bundle with most/all the add-one will run you $450. Yes, that’s steep but the value offer here is through the roof. You can even add analog outputs to a CRT for example with the right I/O add-on. It’s on my list of purchases primarily for the arcade cores. I prefer hardware that runs carts/media for consoles.

Oh ya, a Mister is something I would love and would be ideal. It is a little more than I want to spend though, and I’m afraid I’d spend more time getting it working and configuring it instead of playing games on it. I’d like to see someone try and make a commercial product of some sort for this. 

I didn’t know about the second FPGA on the pocket. If they can get NES/SNES/Genesis cores working on it, that would be exactly what I’d want. 

I wouldn't be against investing in the MiSTer. I must have missed that DF video as I'd not really researched deeply into the device. I'd agree with Romier that you do seem to be getting a lot of system support, and really good support at that, for the money. It's definitely something I'd consider.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

That seems kind of shady. Best Buy didn't charge up front when I pre-ordered an OLED Switch.

Best Buy isn't a small boutique business and Analogue isn't reselling a big manufacturers product. Apples vs oranges, really.

Like all Analogue product, they don't manufacture units in large quantities and then go sell them to market. Again, its a boutique business. So they do unit runs based around estimated pre-order numbers, plus what's needed to deal with RMA's, outlet samples, etc. If they perceive that there is still demand, they do additional runs of the products as needed or until they deem a product end of life (like the NT Mini or NT Mini Noir). In some cases they underestimate demand but they are generally a dependable company. They DO ship you your product. I've never ordered an Analogue product I did not receive.

In this case, you had the perfect storm of a super high demand product, underestimation of the demand around it leading to negativity around their pre-order process and COVID-19 causing massive supply chain issues on parts/chips. Hence the significant delays. They announced the Duo ages ago for example but have not put a pre-order up for it for good reason - they probably can't ship that product this year so no reason to get hopes up.

I could say a lot about their pre-order process. It leaves much to be desired in the sense that they always seem to underestimate demand which tells me there's some artificial boosting of "scarcity" that drives a stupidly expensive aftermarket. Something I feel like they happily curate at times as long as there's "buzz" around their product but that's a whole other topic. Same for their communication level to be honest. I'm surprised we actually got this much notification of a delay. I would have expected something the last week of October.:D

2 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

As long as Analogue's customers are ok with it. I've never bought one of their products so I'm just someone on the outside looking in.

I mean, “ok with it” is strong lol. 
I don’t have much choice other than getting a refund which they have offered several times. At this point I might as well wait it out. It’s been a year, anyways ya know?