LCVG

Fable Announced (Playground Games) (Series X/PC)

Romier S

I'm not a Fable fan — not because I dislike the series, but because I've never played it.

I am, however, a fan of Playground Games for their work on Forza Horizon. It may be a vastly different type of game, but that alone makes me interested in this title.

32 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

One other thing, if it is an online game then what a kick in the teeth for the old team at Lionhead who lost their jobs and their studio while in the midst of developing Fable Legends... an online Fable game. 

Perhaps the online portion will be optional. Forza Horizon 4 is ostensibly an online game as well, but you can log off the servers to play solo if that’s more your thing.

3 minutes ago, JFo said:

Perhaps the online portion will be optional. Forza Horizon 4 is ostensibly an online game as well, but you can log off the servers to play solo if that’s more your thing.

That's the hope yes. ZhugeEX posted on Resetera that the game isn't akin to an MMO circa 2004 but left things vague past that point. We simply don't know how strong the design around the online elements will be for the game or if the rumors are even true frankly. I think many were hoping this would be a return to the single player focus of the first three games (with the quality matching the first two) hence why there is some trepidation.

Ending the show on what is less than a teaser though is a strange choice I have to say. I would have liked to have seen some semblance of game play shown. Though that may point to how far out the games release may be.

17 hours ago, JFo said:

That would definitely be a better outcome, yes. It's the kind of approach I wish Sea of Thieves had, and hope Everwild has if it indeed takes inspiration from the Sea of Thieves formula. I actually use Elite Dangerous as a reference point for how well you can execute these two things at the same time, because you can play that completely isolated (with your progress still contributing to global goals and missions), or play it online, and switch whenever you see fit. For example, I never play Elite online as I'm too paranoid about trolls ruining my progress, the exact same concern I have about Sea of Thieves which I would still like to try, but there were several occasions in Elite where I'd got lost in deep space and ran out of fuel, so I would open up the game to online play to call on a player group known as the FuelRats who exist purely to travel out and help players who need refuelling. To date that remains one of the most wonderful encounters of online play that I have ever experienced in a game. 

One benefit of this being so far off is I can add Fable Anniversary to my to do list as I only played the Xbox original.

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

Ending the show on what is less than a teaser though is a strange choice I have to say. I would have liked to have seen some semblance of game play shown. Though that may point to how far out the games release may be.

I figured that just meant that it was a ways off.  2022 game?