LCVG

Pikmin 3 Deluxe Edition [Switch] - October 30th

Nintendo just randomly dropped this announcement. I never got to play it on the U so I'll certainly take up the chance now. I've greatly missed playing a Pikmin game. This port promises "multiple difficulty modes, new side-story missions featuring Olimar and Louie, and all the DLC from the original release." 

No real shock from Nintendo but it will be $60/£50.

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

When Super Mario 3D Land hits, the Wii U will have been mostly erased.

Yes. I'd imagine Twilight Princess and Wind Waker will make it over next year for the Zelda Anniversary. There's Yoshi's Wooly World which I'd be happy to see ported, but suspect it's unlikely since it already had a second life on 3DS. 

I need to redeem another two eShop game vouchers which does help reduce the price of ports like this, so I may redeem one on Pikmin and then hopefully we get a bounty of Mario for the titles that I can put the other one towards. 

I'd love to see Wind Waker moved over, yes. Twilight, less so. I mean if its easy enough, sure but I doubt I'd rebuy it. It's just not a game that appeals to me much. Wind Waker on the other hand is my favorite Zelda game and the remaster was superb. I would absolutely love to see Nintendo remaster Skyward Sword as I've said before. Its in dire need and the visual style is one that's begging to be shown in HD. The waggle stuff is doable with the joycons but I'd be quite happy if they went with more traditional controls as well. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I would absolutely love to see Nintendo remaster Skyward Sword as I've said before. Its in dire need and the visual style is one that's begging to be shown in HD. The waggle stuff is doable with the joycons but I'd be quite happy if they went with more traditional controls as well. 

+1 on this.  I actually enjoyed Skyward Sword when I played it, although fighting with the controls was obviously a challenge.  I really wonder how well the game would translate without motion controls though-the combat was really designed around that 1:1 motion.  Part of me wants to just get it in VR, since those motion controllers actually work really well, but given that will never happen, joycons are probably the next best thing.  Giving it a Wind Waker level of polish though and tightening up some of the sequences would be great though! 

What would have made this even better is adding Pikmin 1/2 to the package, even if they're just gamecube ROMs. 

Good old Nintendo.

They announce the remaster and then they remove the $20 Wii U version from the Wii U shop. 
This is the one bit of hypocrisy in the gaming world that drives me up a wall. Nintendo is fucking awful in this regard (I’d argue worst than Sony and Microsoft) and doesn’t get called out anywhere near enough on it, IMO.

A $60 premium price for being “blessed” with a portable version of an already 720p game that will see minimal visual boost on the Switch and then remove any means to buy it cheap digitally on their previous platform cause “fuck you pay me.”. They pulled the same shit with Donkey Kong when it released on the Switch, too.

https://nintendoeverything.com/pikmin-3-removed-from-the-wii-u-eshop/

This is why I haven’t touched a single Switch remaster from them. That won’t change here. Don’t get me started on Nintendo Online.

40 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Good old Nintendo.

They announce the remaster and then they remove the $20 Wii U version from the Wii U shop. 
This is the one bit of hypocrisy in the gaming world that drives me up a wall. Nintendo is fucking awful in this regard (I’d argue worst than Sony and Microsoft) and doesn’t get called out anywhere near enough on it, IMO.

A $60 premium price for being “blessed” with a portable version of an already 720p game that will see minimal visual boost on the Switch and then remove any means to buy it cheap digitally on their previous platform cause “fuck you pay me.”. They pulled the same shit with Donkey Kong when it released on the Switch, too.

This is why I haven’t touched a single Switch remaster from them. That won’t change here. Don’t get me started on Nintendo Online.

In all fairness, how important is it to keep a digital copy available to buy on a system that if it goes tits-up you lose the game anyhow?  I’ve practically told my son he is forbidden to buy digital games for both the Wii U and 3ds for that very reason. 

Not that it excuses the old game at a premium price. 

52 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

In all fairness, how important is it to keep a digital copy available to buy on a system that if it goes tits-up you lose the game anyhow?

Well, that's up to the consumer to make that decision, no? I'd argue what you're saying is pretty low risk mind you as there's not some rash of Wii U systems going tits up these days nor do I expect it to happen anytime in the near future. You are totally within your rights to make that choice of not investing in those platforms. However, if a Wii U owner (all 20 of us!) wants to spend $20 on that version of the game via their shop, why not? Other than the obvious that is. Had Nintendo removed the game a year ago or something or outright shut down the Wii U shop in general (and I legit question why its still active, frankly)? Yeah, that's totally fair but I'm not going to give them fairness brownie points for removing an avenue to purchase a cheaper version of a game at exactly the moment they announce the remaster. Nintendo isn't altruistically trying to protect your $20 investment from system failure here.

It’s bad timing sure. But the game is far from new. If you wanted it you’ve had forever to buy it. Don’t get mad because all of a sudden it’s discontinued. Digital things are not on perpetual offer, which I think has been your purpose in buying physical nearly exclusively. 

It’s beside the point that systems aren’t going tits up. Anything with an optical drive has the same eventual destiny. 

Just to add, my point isn't really that I plan to buy a $20 version of Pikmin 3 on the Wii U and fuck Nintendo for taking that away from just to be clear. In the end that is what it is. I already own a physical copy. It's mostly just to point out that the perceived disparity in how much shit gamers will shovel at Microsoft and Sony for their anti-consumer efforts while Nintendo slips by with a "Oh that's just Nintendo." mindset..

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

It’s bad timing sure. But the game is far from new. If you wanted it you’ve had forever to buy it. Don’t get mad because all of a sudden it’s discontinued. Digital things are not on perpetual offer, which I think has been your purpose in buying physical nearly exclusively. 

It’s beside the point that systems aren’t going tits up. Anything with an optical drive has the same eventual destiny. 

...and you've missed the point.

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

In all fairness, how important is it to keep a digital copy available to buy on a system that if it goes tits-up you lose the game anyhow?  I’ve practically told my son he is forbidden to buy digital games for both the Wii U and 3ds for that very reason. 

Not that it excuses the old game at a premium price. 

Hello is this thing on?

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I don’t excuse them at all. I don’t buy Nintendo games. I also don’t shovel shit at Sony or MS for doing the same. 

I didn't accuse you of that last I checked. It's a general statement you seem to be taking personally or pointedly for absolutely zero reason. It's a general frustration I have with the overall conversation around the internet with these platforms which does extend beyond our little forum here.:D

19 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

No one deserves slack for lackluster effort. But all companies are going to do what they are gonna do. 

The rest of the Internet I avoid. It’s filled with whiny self absorbed folk with nothing else to do but complain. 

Right. I don't think any rational human being would disagree. I only wish that was applied more logically and consistently in a lot of the discussions around the web in which I do read and partake. Both in the game news space and obviously in the world of youtube/forums. 

I commend your avoidance of the rest of the internet. I do my best on the social media front which I feel will be the ruin of our society but I'm less strong on other fronts.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, Romier S said:

Good old Nintendo.

Pikmin 3 has now been restored to the Wii U eShop apparently (still $20).