LCVG

Racing Wheels and stands/setups

AlbertA

Does anyone have a recommendation for racing wheels?

How come in 2020, you can't have a racing wheel that covers PC, Xbox One and PS4? (Peripheral licensing must suck for manufacturers)

Where's the wireless support?

I bought a Thrustmaster TMX Pro to play Forza with but I think I'm going to return it.The pedals are great but not convinced about the wheel itself.

I searched for an equivalent of the T300RS with Xbox support but I guess this doesn't exist? Very confusing.

Any suggestions for stands?

You aren’t going to find any that specifically are made for both major consoles. Probably due to needing different internals. The best bet would to find something that was PC only then search to find if it is compatible with both. But that’s not likely. 

This is the 300rs equivalent for Xbox or as good as one gets:

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/node/6833

I bought some variation of this stand. Don’t think it cost as much as this one.  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYMCRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dARqFb6XSDR6P

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for racing wheels?

How come in 2020, you can't have a racing wheel that covers PC, Xbox One and PS4? (Peripheral licensing must suck for manufacturers)

Where's the wireless support?

I bought a Thrustmaster TMX Pro to play Forza with but I think I'm going to return it.The pedals are great but not convinced about the wheel itself.

I searched for an equivalent of the T300RS with Xbox support but I guess this doesn't exist? Very confusing.

Any suggestions for stands?

I also have the stand Eldorado mentioned and I really like it. And as he noted, the price seems to have climbed a bit. I got mine about 5 years ago. 

I haven’t really kept up with wheels, but I thought Fanatec had a when that was compatible with PS4 and Xbox (not sure about PC). Of course their wheels aren’t cheap. 

I have a T300RS, which also came with a pair of low-quality pedals (Thrustmaster’s MO). So I replaced those with the T3PA pedals that have a clutch pedal. It’s annoying to spend that much on a wheel and get lame pedals, BUT the TPA pedals are quite nice and make the package feel complete. I’ve put many, many miles on the wheel and pedals and it’s performed like a champ. And that’s 90% rally, which is pretty brutal on the wheel. 

I haven’t seen confirmation of this yet, but supposedly Sony will carry forward wheel compatibility from the PS4 to the 5, so I believe the T300 will still work, I hope so. If I was forced to get a new wheel now, I would look at Fanatec for sure. 

• 10 months later...

Rise from your grave!!

So I've been getting into racing sims and upgraded my trusty Logitech G29 to a direct drive setup by Fanatec. Brother, let me tell you, it's a whole different immersive experience. Covid sent racing sim interest into the stratosphere, and there are a bunch of products that elevate the experience - you can achieve quite a lot of fidelity nowadays.

Here's what I ended up with so far:

Fanatec DD2 wheel base

Fanatec R300 wheel and a 2021 Limited Edition F1 wheel

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted

Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ and Handbrake

Sim Lab P1-X racing cockpit (Sparco Evo II US seat)

Samsung Odyssey G9 49" curved display

Alienware M15 w/ RTX 3080

I'm looking into adding a seat mover (like Next Level Racing's Motion Platform V3), but there are options here, like those from DOFReality. Other than that, I might collect a few more wheels, but the setup is pretty done for a while.

The way all the road information gets transmitted to the wheel is something else. You get some great force feedback with the Logitech, but it caps at around 2.5 Nm of force. That's not a lot of headroom to convey it all. The DD2, on the other hand, has 25 Nm of force at the ready, coupled with a free-floating, non-geared drive shaft that feels like butter to spin, which is enough to break your wrists (not broken bones, but broken grip - I GUESS it could break your bones too if you crank up the juice and don't pay attention, who knows...)  and deliver an immersive experience like no other.

20210624_144607.thumb.jpg.f85deb65f8b14b32ac01a75d9a2ce40b.jpg

20210625_031805.thumb.jpg.9e1592ba26b5c6efa63665da5ce1dd0c.jpg

After I skill up a bit, I'll try my hand at racing with the crazies in iRacing. Steam's current sale has the year membership at $30, so that's almost a no-brainer.

If anyone else wants to hop on an race Project Cars 1, 2, 3, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Assetto Corsa, or rFactor 2, holler. I'll try any game, just pick your poison.

EDIT: Gah, didn't see the older thread that's probably a better home for this! If a mod would be so kind as to move this post there I'd love you long time.

Damn that's a thing of beauty, James. Nice going!

But I see a massive hole in your post, where the heck is Dirt Rally 2? Between DR 1 and 2, I've spent a significant part of my life over the last 7 years on those wild and twisty roads. To my mind there is no better or challenging racing experience, and a FFB wheel makes a massive difference. The good thing is that you only need to get DR 2 with the DLC to get all the content from both games.

Heck, even the latest WRC games are pretty stellar, some argue they have surpassed DR. I do think the tarmac handling is pretty sweet in WRC 9, but overall I still prefer DR2.

• 1 month later...

Installed a Next Level Racing Motion V3 into the rig over last weekend. One step closer to having a simulator that costs as much as an actual car.

All you hear in the video are the tensioner springs flexing, but in hindsight I should have let the system blare instead of game sound staying in the headset. 

Also picked up some more wheels (simple, buttonless rally wheel and an F1 buttons-out-the-wazoo wheel). Next up, some sort of bass shaker solution like what Sim Racing Studio offer. (https://www.simracingstudio.com/product-page/srs-shakekit-shakeseat-integrated-with-shakebox-lite) Then some reactive lights or wind generators? Who knows...

TBC

3 hours ago, iainl said:

So is it just the seat that moves, and not the pedals, wheel & screen? Though I supposed it’s not enough to complicate things too much. 

Yeah, just the seat. The company sells a traction platform that slides the whole rig side to side on 2 independent front and rear rails, this Motion V3 just moves the seat. Together they make quite an experience, but the single greatest immersive upgrade one can do is just move the seat, imo. It's impressive how even just a slight movement can create a deep connection with the action on the screen.

If you add an Oculus, watch out, brother!

Wow, James, that’s a pretty sweet set up. I’m not as big a racing game enthusiast as you clearly are, but I would still love to try something like that out someday, just to see what it’s like with something like Forza Horizon.