LCVG

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (PS4, PS5, XBO, XSX, PC) - Releasing November 13th, 2020

Romier S

New gameplay video for the new Call of Duty for those interested. This is captured on the PS5. The game launches on November 13th and "will meet the next gen console launch" so it looks like the PS5 should be releasing around that time period as expected:

Pricing has also been announced with a $10 premium on the cross-gen buy:

Locking the next gen upgrade to only the Playstation platform is scummy as shit, frankly. The digital story doesn't change any either. Cross gen upgrade only on Playstation. I've read that Activision isn't supporting "Smart Delivery" outright as well.

I don't buy Call of Duty games until they are well discounted anyways but I can understand those that do buy the games on day one and are Xbox owners first being less than enthused with the pricing reveal.

Edit: See post below, digital upgrade will be available. 

Which all sounds rather like Microsoft won’t allow companies to charge $10 for a texture pack and resolution options. Good on them. 

Will be interesting to see how “your purchase does not include a Series X version” sits with Microsoft claiming every non-Kinect Xbox One game is compatible. 

53 minutes ago, iainl said:

Which all sounds rather like Microsoft won’t allow companies to charge $10 for a texture pack and resolution options. Good on them. 

Will be interesting to see how “your purchase does not include a Series X version” sits with Microsoft claiming every non-Kinect Xbox One game is compatible. 

It'll be compatible + playable as a "backwards compatible" xbox one game, you just won't get the fancy textures + resolutions. Look at the text in the bottom left corner: 

ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

Next gen versions will run at 4K/120hz with global illumination and ray tracing support. Also includes support for haptic feedback and the SSD’s will provide seamless transitions with nearly no loading. Cross play is supported as well.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/08/26/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-arrives-with-cross-generation-cross-platform-play-on-november-13/

With next-generation consoles, the game will play at 4K resolution and refresh rates at 120hz. Cold War will use haptic controllers. The solid-state drives (SSDs) with flash memory in the new consoles will have faster load times, and that means that the loading screens will be gone, with seamless transitions between cinematics and gameplay.

“We want to make sure that the framerate is responsive, and that it feels like there’s nothing on the technical side preventing you from having a good time,” Bunting said.

The game will feature a global illumination system that makes use of real-time ray tracing. That means the lighting and shadows will be accurate, with rays of light bouncing around a scene in a realistic manner. You’ll see the effects of this in things like Woods’ pickup truck (with the fictional brand name Bannerocks), which has a run-down look that feels like it’s from another era. You see duct tape, cracked vinyl, and a CB radio in the interior.

“With the power of the next-gen systems, we’ll be able to add even more detail and put even more love into everything we create,” said Katie Sabin, a vehicle artist at Raven Software.

Activision has also confirmed they are increasing the price of next generation standard games to $69.99 starting with this Call of Duty...

Activision has now confirmed they will be increasing the price of the Standard Edition of next-generation games for their franchise starting with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The “Standard Edition” for next-gen will include a copy for current-gen users who want to play on that version too.

7 hours ago, Romier S said:

A14FB5C1-E029-4AE3-90F2-E812740B8963.jpeg

1D2BEE3F-F4D0-443F-A14B-9CD1F4284BE0.jpeg

Next generation isn’t confusing at all.:)

Ugh. Just put out the $69.99 version that has both and be done with it. 

At least the PS4/5 packaging is somewhat distinct. There is no way someone who doesn’t know WTF is going on with all the cross gen crap could tell you what the difference between the two Xbox games is. 

They should make the Series X cases black. 

I’m still curious as to why there is not a direct path to upgrade the physical edition of the Xbox version. Ultimately, it is still going to cost the same since the Series X version comes with the Xbox One version, so it seems you can buy that version at launch, play it on your Xbox One and then when you get a Series X, you’re good to go. Is there a policy MS put in place that they had to do it that way?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The installation of this game is the most stupid thing I’ve ever seen at a console launch. I picked up the PS5 version yesterday. I put the disc in tonight and it pops up and asks you to install the multi, zombie mode or warzone. No option to install the campaign. Ok, then...I just hit install. (Which apparently installs all three)

Anyway, I started the game up and the campaign had a lock on it and an option to install. So I hit that and hit download. 23GB download. I hit back since that download went to my standard upload/download menu. So I hit back...I get an error and get booted to the menu. I closed the game out and waited for the campaign download to finish. I restarted and now the campaign was available but it said “partially installed”.....huh? There was another option to download so I did that again and now I had to install the “CoD campaign 2”. Another 15GB. Ok. I backed out, got another error and then closed the game out and waited.

So with the second pack installed, I restarted. Partially installed.

wtf GIF

Another install option. I hit it and now I’m downloading “CoD campaign 3”. Another 20GB. This time I stayed on the screen. It finished and went back to the menu. No more partial install. I closed the game and played something else cause the install process was enough.

Seriously, what absolute moron thought this was a good idea? Apparently you can go into “Manage Content” and add the various campaign packs but what a fuck awful experience top to bottom. On top of having to create an Activision account to do anything online. 
It swiftly reminded me why I don’t buy these games at anything above $20. I feel like I’m going to regret having broken my rule here but hopefully the campaign is at least fun and I can sell it off easy enough if it’s poop.

I played the first two missions a night or two ago and man, the adaptive triggers on the PS5 is nuts in this game. The kickback and tension when shooting a weapon (especially single shot vs press and hold) is really damned impressive! The words "game changing" are too often used but well for first person shooters? It's kind of game changing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's so bloated.  My son ran out and bought an external drive just in case.  He's really hooked on warzone.   We're having a lot of fun playing together on weekend nights. 

There's a new zombie mode, Outbreak, worth checking out.  It's more openworld, and outdoors, and less dungeon crawl in feel.  Some depth to it also, as you can still level up your weapons, skill, field upgrades as you progress to help you get through the level.  Gets super hard at level 5.  I have not lived passed that with the randoms I played with yesterday, but I'm hoping with a good squad and good comms, we'll go farther tonight. 

Carlos.