LCVG

4k pc monitor question

ChrisBardon

Question for those who are running 4k monitors on their PCs.  I just bought a pair of Acer CB282ks for my home office.  I'm running them off a Dell XPS15 and a WD15 dock that I previously had 2 random 23" displays connected to.  Goals with replacing were:

-Bigger screens

-No more per-screen DPI scaling

-Something 4k capable if I want to run games off the laptop

-Something 4k capable if I want to run a console in the office (since my son is on the basement TV more often than not)

I got everything installed this afternoon, which involved rewiring the whole office, and getting the 2 displays to work on both the desktop and laptop along with some random other things like the SNES classic going to the monitor HDMI, but then routing audio out to the speakers with volume control.  A couple of things I ran into that were weird and had me asking questions though:

-I had a 3:1 HDMI switch on the old setup that let me have a bunch of extra HDMI devices auto-switch on one of my displays.  This worked for my laptop, desktop, but for some reason NOT the SNES mini.  Blank screen.  Ended up ditching it and leaving an extra HDMI cable connected that can get manually swapped, but seemed strange. 

-I can't get either display to detect in Windows as HDR capable.  I have it set to "auto" in the monitor settings, but the Windows HD Color settings show the display capabilities as not supporting HDR.  Not sure if I have to be using HDR to enable HDR.

-What are folks using to calibrate PC monitors these days?  I tried the built in windows tools, and it looks OK, but not sure if something better is in order.  I tried starting with HDR set to "auto", which jacks the brightness to 100% and burns your retinas, but taking that back down to about 40 makes things look like they'll be usable. 

-I originally connected both displays to the WD15-one through HDMI and one through DisplayPort, but neither could go 4k with that setup.  Come to find out that the Dell 4k monitor dock with three different display connections can actually only drive one 4k screen.  No big deal I suppose-I just connected one direct HDMI to the PC, and one display port via the dock, but the one that's on DP insists that its native resolution is 2560x1440 instead of 3840x2160.  I can still set the display to full 4k, but it seems strange that the native resolution is mis-detected.  Might be a Thunderbolt issue.  It is still a little amazing that I can drive a usb hub, multiple displays, and charge the laptop over the same cable...  Any other ideas?  Already checked, and no firmware update for the dock. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:05 PM, ChrisBardon said:

-I can't get either display to detect in Windows as HDR capable.  I have it set to "auto" in the monitor settings, but the Windows HD Color settings show the display capabilities as not supporting HDR.  Not sure if I have to be using HDR to enable HDR.

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up disabling HDR on the monitors, and they look much better for work/standard PC stuff.  Text clarity is significantly better now than with the 1080p ones (even scaled to 200% so things are legible).  The general impression is that if you're not spitting out HDR content, then things are going to look worse, and other than specific implementations, it sounds like HDR on the PC is a mess anyway.  Add to that I'm not even sure that my XPS15 or the dock can handle that much bandwidth and it might have been ambitious anyway.  Still, 2 cables for a laptop that doesn't move much these days still isn't bad.