LCVG

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury [Switch] - February 12th 2021

Angry the Clown

Nice-3d world is both one of the best, and absolute worst mario games.  After playing it with my son again recently, multiplayer mario is one of the worst ideas in gaming history, and nobody should ever be forced to play it :)  You get in each others' way, you'll randomly pick other players up when trying to run, you end up stealing power ups...just no...

I never had the chance to play it on the Wii U.

Alongside online multiplayer, the blurb for this release notes that "This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World also comes with gameplay improvements, like increased running speed for all characters and the ability to climb higher while using the Super Bell. You can even play using gyro controls!"

On Twitter they also said that there will be more enhancements and features to be announced closer to release.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This one is out in a couple days and reviews are starting to pour in. As I write this, it's sitting at a respectable 91 on Metacritic.

Additionally, Digital Foundry has posted their analysis of the game. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm guessing it's a good port based on what we've seen from other Wii U to Switch conversions.

Finally, if you're new to the game -- or your like me and replaying it on Switch -- you'll want to check out this video, showing how to get infinite lives on World 1-2.

Hopefully, you guys have the skills to beat World 1-1 without having a Game Over before you get here.😆

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The added Bowser game may be enough to get me to break my Wii U port rebuy policy.

Yeah, I'm way more excited about Bowser's Fury after watching that Digital Foundry video. I had expected it to be a nice but forgettable add-on to the main game. However, it sounds like it's well worth playing on its own.

5 hours ago, JFo said:

Yeah, I'm way more excited about Bowser's Fury after watching that Digital Foundry video. I had expected it to be a nice but forgettable add-on to the main game. However, it sounds like it's well worth playing on its own.

Mmm, it also sounds like it’s a bit of looking glass into the future of 3D Mario. Perhaps for an eventual Switch Pro launch? Perhaps a stretch on that last part but it’s certainly piqued my interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing the crap out of Super Mario 3D World on Switch the last few days and noticed a small — but significant — change from the Wii U version that I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere.

In the Wii U version, if you collect a green star or a stamp and die before you reach either a checkpoint or the end of the level, you have to collect them again when you restart. In the Switch version, keep them even if you die — no need to collect them again on your next life. You still have to complete the level in order keep them permanently — in other words, no exiting the level through the pause menu once you’ve collected them — but this change does make things significantly easier for the player.

While I do appreciate how this makes my life a bit easier, it does ruin some of the challenge involved with collecting these things. For instance, one level I played tonight had a green star floating over a huge lava pit. You can reach it with a long jump, but there’s no way to survive. The idea is to use the boomerang from the Boomerang Brothers suit to collect it. Unfortunately, when I first reached it, I didn’t have the suit. So, I decided to leap to my death in order to get it, knowing that I would still have it once I restarted at the checkpoint.

I don’t have much more to add. I just noticed this change and figured it was worth sharing. 

I was going to wait for a sale for this one, as I already own (and have actually played) 3D World on Wii U, but a store here with a points program was offering $23 in points (basically grocery money for us), and I’ve heard good things about Bowser’s Fury, so it’s on the way. Nice not to have to wait 6-12 months for Nintendo to put it on sale. 

I'm most of the way through World Star now on Super Mario 3D World. After that, it's Worlds Mushroom, Flower, and Crown. I've unlocked Rosalina too, which is a nice bonus. I can tell the levels are starting to get harder now. I've been playing this game the same way I played Sackboy: A Big Adventure a few months ago. I won't move on to the next level until I've collected everything, which in this case, means all three green stars, the stamp, and the top of the flagpole. Like I said earlier, the fact that you get to keep the stars and the stamps even if you die is making this playthrough of the game a lot easier, but it can still take me 20 minutes or more to "complete" each level.

I'm anxious to finish SM3DW and hop into Bower's Fury. I'm really excited to see how that game turned out. Hopefully, by the end of the week and wrap this one up and move on. I just hope it doesn't take me 10 hours to beat Champion's Road (the final level in the game) like it did the first time I played.

Well, I finished up Super Mario 3D World last night. I beat every stage, collected all 380 green stars, reached the top of all the flag poles and collected almost all the stamps. The only stamps I’m missing are the ones you get for beating every level with each of the five characters. As was the case with the original version on Wii U, I probably won’t be getting these either. The prospect of beating each level five times is way too much. Besides, I don’t know if there is any way I could possibly beat Champion’s Road with anyone other than Peach. I need her floaty jump to get past the section with the switch blocks (the red and blue ones that alternate between being solid and mere outlines you fall through).

It was a lot of fun replaying this one again. I think I enjoyed it a bit more the first time as the design and concept were newer for me back then. Still, I can’t get over the variety on display here. This game is bursting with crazy ideas that keep the gameplay fresh with each new stage. If Nintendo gets around to making another New Super Mario Bros. title, I would like them to take their inspiration from 3D World when designing their courses. It would be a welcome change of pace for the 2D side of the series. 

Next up is Bower’s Fury. I can’t wait to see what Nintendo has in store for this new take on 3D Mario.

I started Bowser’s Fury yesterday with my son. So far it’s pretty good, but I have a feeling I’m going to have to play the entire thing co-op with him since we started it together. As a result, I didn’t get to play it at all last night (he was at a sleepover at my mom and dad’s house).

Instead, I went back into Super Mario 3D World with the intent on finishing Champion’s Road with Mario. As I mentioned above, I’ve only ever been able to finish it with Peach. That’s fine and all — it’s not easy beating that level with any character — but I wanted to see if I could get through it with the our favorite Italian plumber.

After several hours of practice — including a couple hours last night and early this morning — I reached a point where I could reach the final section (the one with the boost pads and shockwave generators) almost every time. Once I got that good, I went and picked up a couple fire flowers with the intent of getting to that last section with them still intact so that I could take a couple hits without dying.

That did the trick. I ended up beating the level on my next try with Mario. Granted, I barely made it, but a win is a win. This is a challenge I’ve wanted to do since the game came out back in 2013, so it feels great to finally have done it.

I’ve played Bowser’s Fury for a number of hours (I’m at 40 Cat Shines). It’s very much a new game built on 3D World. It’s pretty cool how the whole game is one big world instead of different levels.... but it is very hard to stay focused on a particular task or island, and I find myself getting onto another island while working on a particular Shine and get distracted. On the other hand, it makes it super easy to move on to something else if you get frustrated with something. 

The cat motif is.... maybe a little overdone. 

Dunkey’s video about Bowser’s Fury is quite good. 

I finished the main story last night. It finishes up at 50 Shines and kind of forces you to finish it then. There are a total of 100, some of which open up after you finish the main story. 

One thing to know is that when you get to 47 or 48 Shines, Bowser doesn’t go away, so be aware of that. I was getting frustrated with this. 

Overall, it actually feels like much more content than I was expecting. The estimate that I heard of getting 100% in 3 or 4 hours is grossly underestimated. It’s a least 10, but probably closer to 15. 

One minor thing that frustrates me is that How Long to Beat lists Super Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury as one entry on the site, whereas I think of them as two distinctly different games. As such, the completion time for both games are mashed together, so you don't get a good sense of how long either one of them are.

2 hours ago, JFo said:

One minor thing that frustrates me is that How Long to Beat lists Super Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury as one entry on the site, whereas I think of them as two distinctly different games. As such, the completion time for both games are mashed together, so you don't get a good sense of how long either one of them are.

Well, you can just take the time from the Wii U version and subtract that from the Switch version and....394CACDA-EBED-43FF-A3AA-177BA6DC130A.thumb.png.ebfbcdd2e08a941f506b66c29fa1fc95.png

.... never mind. 

Got all 100 Shines in Bowsers Fury. I really enjoyed it and am glad I got to play it right away. It’s probably not worth $80, but it was much more substantial than I expected. To get a Switch version of 3D World is a bonus. 

There are a few tough Shines to get, but nothing terribly difficult. 

So, I guess I wasn’t quite done with Super Mario 3D World after all.

360F0CE3-046F-443F-91B6-C0BD3AF9E386.thumb.jpeg.b226af5fb5e47d590eea88dde86b59ae.jpeg

F1AAD66A-1FE2-4366-9727-78C47F30F515.thumb.jpeg.be0e88529cade632554c15753882e0da.jpeg

After beating Champion's Road with Mario last Sunday morning, I thought maybe I could look into finishing the last objective in the game from a completionist standpoint — collect the five remaining stamps, which unlock if you beat all the levels with all five characters. Normally, I wouldn’t bother with something like this because it would be so tedious. Essentially, it’s asking me to play through the entire give five times.

Thankfully, I learned of a this one neat trick that made the process much easier. In order for the game to register that a character has finished a course, they have to touch the flagpole at the end of it. If you’re playing multiplayer, that means up to four characters can finish a course in one run. The players don’t need to play through the entire level for it to count either. They just need to join the game at any point before the end so they can touch the flagpole.

Knowing this, I grabbed three extra Pro Controllers and laid them out in front of me on the coffee table in our family room. I then played through each level with a character I hadn’t beaten it with before (Rosalina was a very popular choice, thanks to her spin attack). When I reached the flagpole, I used the extra controllers to summon the other characters that needed to beat the level. Once they had all entered, I would have two characters pick up two other characters and position them all next to the flagpole. Then, I’d use two controllers at the same time and have all four characters jump onto the flagpole at the same time. The game would then register that all four characters had beaten the level. Upon exiting the level, I would have the three other players exit the game and call them back when I needed them again.

This meant that I only had to play through the whole game one more time instead of five. It’s still a bit tedious to have to do that, but it goes by a lot faster than you might think. The levels are pretty short for the most part, and if you’re not trying to collect anything, you can beat them all relatively quickly. I started late Sunday morning, and by the end of the day, had finished every level through World Castle. I finished the rest of the game by Wednesday evening.

So, as far as Super Mario 3D World is concerned I am now officially DONE done with it, which means I can move on to Bowser’s Fury  with my son and try to finish it up this weekend. It should be fun!

• 4 weeks later...