LCVG

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury [Switch] - February 12th 2021

Nice-3d world is both one of the best, and absolute worst mario games.  After playing it with my son again recently, multiplayer mario is one of the worst ideas in gaming history, and nobody should ever be forced to play it :)  You get in each others' way, you'll randomly pick other players up when trying to run, you end up stealing power ups...just no...

I never had the chance to play it on the Wii U.

Alongside online multiplayer, the blurb for this release notes that "This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World also comes with gameplay improvements, like increased running speed for all characters and the ability to climb higher while using the Super Bell. You can even play using gyro controls!"

On Twitter they also said that there will be more enhancements and features to be announced closer to release.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This one is out in a couple days and reviews are starting to pour in. As I write this, it's sitting at a respectable 91 on Metacritic.

Additionally, Digital Foundry has posted their analysis of the game. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm guessing it's a good port based on what we've seen from other Wii U to Switch conversions.

Finally, if you're new to the game -- or your like me and replaying it on Switch -- you'll want to check out this video, showing how to get infinite lives on World 1-2.

Hopefully, you guys have the skills to beat World 1-1 without having a Game Over before you get here.😆

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The added Bowser game may be enough to get me to break my Wii U port rebuy policy.

Yeah, I'm way more excited about Bowser's Fury after watching that Digital Foundry video. I had expected it to be a nice but forgettable add-on to the main game. However, it sounds like it's well worth playing on its own.

5 hours ago, JFo said:

Yeah, I'm way more excited about Bowser's Fury after watching that Digital Foundry video. I had expected it to be a nice but forgettable add-on to the main game. However, it sounds like it's well worth playing on its own.

Mmm, it also sounds like it’s a bit of looking glass into the future of 3D Mario. Perhaps for an eventual Switch Pro launch? Perhaps a stretch on that last part but it’s certainly piqued my interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing the crap out of Super Mario 3D World on Switch the last few days and noticed a small — but significant — change from the Wii U version that I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere.

In the Wii U version, if you collect a green star or a stamp and die before you reach either a checkpoint or the end of the level, you have to collect them again when you restart. In the Switch version, keep them even if you die — no need to collect them again on your next life. You still have to complete the level in order keep them permanently — in other words, no exiting the level through the pause menu once you’ve collected them — but this change does make things significantly easier for the player.

While I do appreciate how this makes my life a bit easier, it does ruin some of the challenge involved with collecting these things. For instance, one level I played tonight had a green star floating over a huge lava pit. You can reach it with a long jump, but there’s no way to survive. The idea is to use the boomerang from the Boomerang Brothers suit to collect it. Unfortunately, when I first reached it, I didn’t have the suit. So, I decided to leap to my death in order to get it, knowing that I would still have it once I restarted at the checkpoint.

I don’t have much more to add. I just noticed this change and figured it was worth sharing. 

I was going to wait for a sale for this one, as I already own (and have actually played) 3D World on Wii U, but a store here with a points program was offering $23 in points (basically grocery money for us), and I’ve heard good things about Bowser’s Fury, so it’s on the way. Nice not to have to wait 6-12 months for Nintendo to put it on sale. 

I'm most of the way through World Star now on Super Mario 3D World. After that, it's Worlds Mushroom, Flower, and Crown. I've unlocked Rosalina too, which is a nice bonus. I can tell the levels are starting to get harder now. I've been playing this game the same way I played Sackboy: A Big Adventure a few months ago. I won't move on to the next level until I've collected everything, which in this case, means all three green stars, the stamp, and the top of the flagpole. Like I said earlier, the fact that you get to keep the stars and the stamps even if you die is making this playthrough of the game a lot easier, but it can still take me 20 minutes or more to "complete" each level.

I'm anxious to finish SM3DW and hop into Bower's Fury. I'm really excited to see how that game turned out. Hopefully, by the end of the week and wrap this one up and move on. I just hope it doesn't take me 10 hours to beat Champion's Road (the final level in the game) like it did the first time I played.