LCVG

Super Mario 3D All Stars (featuring Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy) [Switch] - September 18th

Angry the Clown

The weird thing is that both physical and digital releases will be limited run until the end of March 2021. What the hell's that about? Individual releases thereafter perhaps (which would pave the way for Galaxy 2)? 

"Please note: Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021."

https://supermario3dallstars.nintendo.com

35 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

3D World will be a general release. It's only All Stars that's getting pulled in March. 

Oh, that’s good then. I confused Mario 3D Allstars with Mario 3D World and thought your note was about 3D World also being limited. 

Admittedly I was confused as to why you mentioned that in the 3D Allstars thread, and not the 3D World thread. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

"Please note: Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021."

Um...ok...  Seems like a really strange thing to do with the only major thing coming to your platform.  I suppose I was going to buy this anyway, but maybe this means a new release later on with Galaxy 2 (that you have to pay full price for )?

43 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Um...ok...  Seems like a really strange thing to do with the only major thing coming to your platform.  I suppose I was going to buy this anyway, but maybe this means a new release later on with Galaxy 2 (that you have to pay full price for )?

I don't think they will do a re-issue with Galaxy 2, but I can see 64, Sunshine and Galaxy getting individual $30 releases on the eShop after March. It would be weird if they just vanished from sale entirely (they haven't done a huge amount of work on these ports, but some degree of work has gone into them).

6 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Wasn't the "original" Super Mario All-stars a limited time release too, or am I mis-remembering?

On Wii? It was, yes. The frustration many have with this one is limiting the digital edition too though.

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

Seriously, no widescreen for Mario 64? Wasn’t the 3DS version widescreen?

I can't remember, but they specifically called out 16:9 support in the direct.  I also saw a flash in there about Galaxy that said "playable with two joycons", so maybe no reworked controls in there after all?

I haven't seen anything about 64 being anything other than 4:3. Galaxy is also expected to be the only one that's 60fps too I think.

On controls, the UK page for the game states:

All three games are optimised for Nintendo Switch with updated Joy-Con controls – including rumble! You can also use Joy-Con controllers to mimic the original Wii Remote motion controls when playing Super Mario Galaxy.

Japanese webpage also confirms Pro controller support:

XfFPvl7.png 

There's definitely some texture improvements to 64 as well:

Not sure that’s really improved texturing at all versus additional resolution and bypassing the N64’s fuck awful video processing. You increase the resolution of a 240p game x3 and you’re going to see some level of texture improvement/clarity. You add in the fact that they’ve removed the bilinear filter/blur and automatic anti-aliasing that plague all N64 games and that will net you the type of immediate gain to texture clarity you’re seeing there.

Check this (go to about the 14:20 mark):