LCVG

Super Mario 3D All Stars (featuring Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy) [Switch] - September 18th

Revisiting 64 has largely, for me, been as happy an experience as I was hoping for. I finished it up last week with 78 stars and may go back gradually over time to 100% it again for old time's sake. It brought back enough happy nostalgic memories. In many ways I was more fascinated by how aggravating the camera and the timing is than I was downright annoyed. As I wrote recently, it really says a lot about how far we've come and the muscle memory we've adapted to in having fluid 360 camera control, and how that affects the speeds in which we can move around contemporary virtual spaces. I never felt constrained by its limitations on release because it was all so new. 

Goals so opaque at times that I'm not sure how anyone could finish some of them without referencing a guide. 

This I thought was really interesting. I never needed a guide way back when to get to 70, only to go beyond and get all 120 stars, find Yoshi...etc. All these years later however, I found myself regularly confounded by many tasks on the road to simply acquire the minimum for completion. Most extraordinary for me was nearing 70 and thinking to myself "hang on... why haven't I come across the desert level?" Unless you have a guide, you might never know it's there short of overshooting trying to catch the rabbit in the sewer and flying headfirst through the portal wall (which is precisely how I came to find it back in 1996, and what the game seemingly hopes you will do by design).

I'll probably start Sunshine this weekend with a view to getting that finished before the PS5 arrives, though I'd also like to finally complete Luigi's Mansion 3 this month too.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally got around to purchasing this collection after the new year. I just finished playing through all three games and wanted to share some quick thoughts on how well they hold up in 2021 and talk

I was reminiscing over 64's soundtrack via way of Youtube and stumbled upon this utter delight:     The File Select music always whisks me back to a happy place.

It's a three!       Sad the rumours were true that Galaxy 2 is not included, but I must have this regardless.   As I posted below, BOTH DIGITAL AND PHYSICAL REL

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m surprised how slippery I am finding Mario in Sunshine. I don’t recall that being an issue for me when it came out. 

It's not just you!  I also found myself struggling with the way Mario's feet seem to be coated in WD-40.

I finished up Sunshine very early this morning (admittedly doing little beyond the required 50 episodes) and mostly enjoyed it, despite its many shortcomings.  The only stretches I really disliked were the FLUDD-less hellscape gauntlets.  I've regretted giving this one away without finishing it back in the GameCube days, and it's a great feeling to finally be able to cross this one off my list.

• 2 weeks later...

Needing to get back into Sunshine. Hoping to clear it off the slate by the 19th so I can hand over the rest of November to the PS5. I'll only go for the minimum number of shines, which is 50 if memory serves. I've got 21 so far.  The obstacle course based shines really are some of the most hateful things in the game. I'm still taken aback by how slippery Mario feels, something I really don't remember from back in the day. With so many levels forcing you to scale and traverse narrow platforms, the inconsistency in the feel for how he will move is deeply infuriating.

In short, after all these years I'm not saying I'm coming around to the belief that Sunshine is a bad game.... but... :) 

22 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

In short, after all these years I'm not saying I'm coming around to the belief that Sunshine is a bad game.... but... :) 

It's all right. You can say it. I give you permission.

There's a reason I was so thrilled when Super Mario Galaxy came out. To me, it was the follow up to Super Mario 64 I dreamed of quality-wise.

Well I have 40 Shines now, but progress on every world depends on my getting past a one of those bastard obstacle course levels, each of which I have already attempted a dozen times over (accompanied by much screaming at the television). We'll have to see how much patience I can muster at the weekend. 

Well, after much screaming, I finished Sunshine.

In a year of misery and frustration it's quite something that the final level just happens to be named Corona Mountain. That damn boat section, the camera and collision detection during the Bowser encounter... It's a game determined to end showcasing the frustrations that plague much of the game throughout. Honestly, revisiting this one left me wondering if the developers were even playing parts of the game when they were making it. 

Still, I don't hate it. I'm less enamoured with its inventiveness today than I was eighteen years ago, purely because of some of the more ingenious design that has come via way of the Mario games that followed, but it is surprisingly repetitive compared even to Mario 64 which really went out of its way to serve up as many different types of levels and challenges as possible. Visually it looks really nice here in the All Stars package though.

I ended with 63 Shines which struck me as fairly respectable, and was over the minimum 50 I thought I'd aim for. 

I'll get to Galaxy over the Christmas period.

9 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I ended with 63 Shines which struck me as fairly respectable, and was over the minimum 50 I thought I'd aim for. 

To give you an idea of how disappointed I was with Sunshine, it’s the only 3D Mario game I’ve ever played were I did not collect all the Stars/Shines/Moons. It just wasn’t worth it.

I really would have loved it if Nintendo gave it the full remaster treatment like they did with The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on Wii U. Go back in and fix some of the quirks that make it one of the more frustrating games in the series. Make the camera less obtrusive. Tweak some of the quirky physics. Make it easier to track which blue coins you’ve collected. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to have put the minimal effort into this collection instead, missing an opportunity to take what was an okay game better.

9 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'll get to Galaxy over the Christmas period.

It’s been ages since I’ve played the Galaxy games, but I do believe they will hold up much better. I absolutely adore both of them and can’t wait to play the first one again at some point.

10 minutes ago, JFo said:

Make the camera less obtrusive. Tweak some of the quirky physics.

I know I commented as much before, but it really did surprise me how slippery Mario feels. Jumping mechanics often felt inconsistent and even occasionally with some latency issues too. That's mostly what drove me mad in the platforming obstacle levels as often Mario would do a special jump when I didn't want him too, would miss timing on what should have been the most basic of platform jumps and generally slip around all over the place when landing after a jump.

I don't remember it being that enraging of an experience on the Gamecube, but as with 64 I wonder how much of it might be to do how we've been conditioned we may have naturally become to improved gaming mechanics over time, and how much my brain just wants to move through old gaming levels at a modern pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Patch adds Gamecube controller support!

I just checked my Switch to find that Ver 1.1.0 with the camera controls added are finally out!

Patch Notes
General

Players can now invert the camera controls within all three individual titles.

Super Mario Sunshine now supports the Nintendo GameCube controller (sold separately). Players can now play this title using the same controls as found in the original GameCube release.

The Nintendo GameCube controller for Super Mario Sunshine is supported only in TV mode.

You’ll need the GameCube Controller Adapter (sold separately) to use this controller with your Nintendo Switch system.

The Nintendo Switch Lite system does not support this controller option.

All button displays within Super Mario Sunshine will not reflect the Nintendo GameCube controller.

Other general fixes have been applied to improve overall gameplay across all three titles.

• 2 months later...