LCVG

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's almost like a home version of the Mario Kart ride coming to Universal Japan and Hollywood (it's going to feature augmented reality).

That was exactly my reaction too. 

• Like 1

That's definitely a cool idea.  Not sure we have the house for it...although if I can rig up some ramps to get through the sunken den, we could set up a circuit on the main floor that could be pretty kick ass, since there's a natural loop...  My son wants it though.  See how long it'll be interesting for.

50 minutes ago, Kranix said:

I can't see myself shelling out for a Switch just so my kid can play this game... but damn, this looks cool.

but you could see yourself shelling out for a switch for yourself to play? 😁

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

With just one kart I'm assuming?  This could be hard to find...have to keep an eye on when preorders go up. 

Yes, with one Kart. There is a Mario bundle and a Luigi Bundle. It wouldn’t actually make too much sense to include both Mario and Luigi in the same bundle as you’d also have to include 2 copies of the game (although now that I think of it, the game could have been potentially made free as a download).

My wife scoffed at having to buy a second Switch (and we really have no need for another one anyway), so if we get this, it may only be one Kart. 

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly, my son's Luigi is due to show up today. I’ve been reading some reviews and these look like they move pretty good over a variety of flooring types. The biggest issue seems to be clearance. Say if you move from a carpet to a rug on carpet it can get hung up. But if you are just running on straight carpet they actually appear to not have major issues, but people have noted they move fastest on hard surfaces. 

I have also read that you aren’t supposed to use them outside which I don’t entirely understand. Aside from needing WiFi, I’d think that would work well. 

12 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I have also read that you aren’t supposed to use them outside which I don’t entirely understand. Aside from needing WiFi, I’d think that would work well. 

Might have more to do with sunlight and the types of surfaces the wheels are designed for?  I'm sure you could use it outside if you really wanted.

I managed to get one of these ordered from EBGames, so that's going in the Christmas pile as well. 

I haven't actually used the thing myself yet, but my son and his friend seemed to enjoy it yesterday.  I don't know what CC they were using, but it seemed to move pretty good on our carpet, no high pile.  I would say it moved almost as fast on the carpet as it did the tile of the kitchen.  We have two Switch's so I suppose we could add another, and the best part about another one would be the extra gates you would get.  You could make some really killer courses if you could keep from getting lost.  

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

the best part about another one would be the extra gates you would get. 

Does it actually support courses that use more gates?  Given that they're just cardboard, no reason you couldn't just make more if that was the case. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

Does it actually support courses that use more gates?  Given that they're just cardboard, no reason you couldn't just make more if that was the case. 

Apparently it only supports 4 gates. You can print out replacement gate signs (with the AR markers) and corner arrows. 

It would be neat if they could update the game to support more. 

2 minutes ago, iainl said:

You’d like to make more? Then make more:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/switch/software_support/img/mklive/gate.pdf

Printing them with those images is needed to get it to pick up the AR markers. 

This would replace the ones that come with it though. You can’t make a course with 2 gate number 1s and 2 gates 2s etc.