LCVG

Dune - Directed by Denis Villenueve (Blade Runner 2049, The Arrival)

Romier S

On 7/22/2021 at 8:12 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I read on Twitter last night a post stating that on screen it will be titled Dune Part I, but am not sure where confirmation of that is coming from. If true, it would at least imply that Warner are committed to Villenueve's vision for this.

Didn’t they already film Part 2?

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to revisit the 2000 mini-series, this channel has a nice 1080p upload of it:

It has some seriously spotty production values (laughably bad at times, unfortunately) but it’s a much better adaptation of the novel.

• 2 weeks later...

An album consisting of around 70 minutes of 'sketchbook' exploration concepts and themes that Zimmer created during the development process, the first of three Dune score albums coming out, was released today (also available in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music).

The film's actual score album will release later this month, along with another album of Music Hans Zimmer was inspired to put together as a companion piece to the $600 edition of the Art and Soul of Dune making of book (yes, you read that right) which will release in late October.

84111-96501-cover_2048x2048.jpg?v=162870

https://insighteditions.com/products/the-art-and-soul-of-dune-le

I've a terrible weakness for monographs and, consequently, that kind of price tag isn't actually a shock or turnoff to me as I'm used to it, but I just don't have the disposable funds for this one right now. Pity as I'd really love that companion photography book.

The Art and Soul book is, of course, getting a $50 standard edition.

80182-96512-cover_2048x2048.jpg?v=162880

From one of the early screening reviews.

"The set pieces provide a welcome diversion from the exposition and the sometimes overly serious tone of the movie. At times, it feels as though everyone is a bit miserable in Arrakis and weighed down by either destiny or an ominous future. It doesn't mean we want Star Wars quips, but when everybody is sombre and not much is going on, Dune: Part One isn't the most enticing of watches."

So.....you're telling me its Dune, then. :)

This is one of the reasons general audiences, specifically modern general audiences are going to struggle with this film.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read:

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/dune-hbo-max-release-1235062312/

“Dune,” which runs at two hours and 35 minutes, is the first entry in an expected two-part saga. Already, a spinoff TV series titled “Dune: The Sisterhood” has been set in motion at HBO Max, but a sequel to the movie has not officially been greenlit. It stands to reason that the performance of “Dune: Part I” will help determine the financial viability of moving forward with another big-screen installment. However, it’s unclear what Warner Bros. and Legendary will deem a success in plague times. Studio executives have said streaming metrics on HBO Max have been in line with ticket sales; when a Warner Bros. movie hits big at the box office, it has also seen a sizable audience on HBO Max. But when a film has fallen flat in theaters, it has gone similarly unwatched on streaming. That means it’ll be trickier than ever to conclude if film producers should sink another $165 million into the interplanetary tale set in the desert land of Arrakis.

However, insiders say the HBO Max deal gives Villeneuve assurances that diminished box office revenues won’t prohibit him from having the chance to make his follow-up film. Other films that had a hybrid release still have sequel talks, with Warner Bros. looking to develop other installments in its “Mortal Kombat” universe.

I'll 100% watch it at home to do my part in driving the streaming views.

There was certainly a time when the 'theater experience' was a must-have for me. Now I'm old and grumpy and my time is significantly more valuable. Driving to the theater, dealing with the maskless, paying crazy money for Applebee's-level crap food, are all avoidable by watching from the comfort of my living room. The big screen and theater sound system aren't sexy enough to lure me any longer.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/dune-makes-promising-international-box-office-debut/?fbclid=IwAR3c-j1tXSo3CSL3PUxR8F-WVytDGo15zOj9RYw6t40QsfWk_jgV0MOKdBA

From its opening weekend in 24 markets, Dune has already earned $35.8 million – a strong start for a potentially niche proposition, with a mightily impressive but not necessarily all-out A-list cast, and a dense plot that some worried might not be mainstream-audience-friendly. But in those countries lucky enough to get it early, Dune has mostly blasted straight to the #1 spot in the film charts, and is seeing a decent chunk of money coming in from IMAX screenings (an ideal format to take in the vast scope of Arrakis’ sand dunes).

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV