LCVG

Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)

Starhawk

• Romier S changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda and it’s studios
  • Starhawk changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda and its studios
10 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I also wouldn’t make the assumption that Bethesda is now 100% exclusive now. We need to hear a lot more about the fallout of this including how autonomous Bethesda will be. Adjusted the thread title accordingly.

They are still publishing their own titles so that may be the case. 

But the key point is we’re still Bethesda. We’re still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we’ve worked with for years, and those games will be published by us.

So why the change? Because it allows us to make even better games going forward. Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play. Simply put - we believe that change is an important part of getting better. We believe in pushing ourselves to be better. To innovate. To grow.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1iLtcvwY6Nb1GeKADyDUEX/why-microsoft-is-the-perfect-fit

I’ve no doubt some games will be made exclusive -  if not 100%, then timed on Game Pass but yes, cutting out the revenue from multi-platform publishing would not be a smart business move when you spend 7.5 billion on a publisher. We’re not just talking a game developer or set of studios here. MS gets a cut of every sale for the games they sell now. Which is why I made the point to wait before making assumptions.

• Romier S changed the title to Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and it’s studios)

Been looking for an excuse to go Microsoft. Seriously, been deluding myself into thinking it is a good idea. But friggin MS owns friggin Doom, Skyrim, Fallout, Starfield, and dishonored ... hard for me not to start thinking that Microsoft is a good bet now.  Especially with Last of US, Spiderman, and Horizon on the PS4. Once I get my fill of those games, I can walk into the next-gen sunset with MS.

That is until Bloodborne 2 comes out. Then I don't know what will happen.

I wonder if MS has any more acquisitions up their sleeve?  Larian Studios is something I would think they'd want.

It's funny — I was just rewatching the excellent episode of Podcast Unlocked with Phil Spencer, Peter Moore, and Shamus Blackley about the history of the Xbox brand. During the episode, Moore recalls the anxiety he felt leading up to the business review meeting he had with then-CEO Steve Ballmer to explain the Red Ring of Death and how much money they would need to fix it. Total cost: $1.15 billion.

Don't get me wrong; that's still a lot of money, but it's small potatoes compared to this deal. Hell, it's not even half of what they spent to acquire Minecraft ($2.5 billion).

This, along with the announcement of EA Play being added to Game Pass, is a huge win for Microsoft. Even if Bethesda's games don't become exclusive, the fact that they are on Game Pass gives players a huge incentive to get an Xbox Series X/S and subscribe to the service.

• dogbert changed the title to Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)