LCVG

Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil Spencer be hiding all kinds of things in the background of his quarantine interviews. First the Series S, now this:    

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/?ocid=Parterships_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_buy_9.21.1   Huge news!

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

I always got the impression that in From's case the value was more in the development team itself rather than the IPs. 

I'm not even sure how we're on this track of discussion but ok lol.

• Haha 1
  • dogbert changed the title to Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)

I'm sure it makes the most sense for Microsoft (who make no secret of just wanting your subscription, whether you buy their hardware or not) being only too happy for people to know that (e.g.) Deathloop is a lovely game they're welcome to hand over SEVENTY FRICKING POUNDS STERLING for the honour of having a PS5 copy, or just run a platform that allows Game Pass and pay £11 per month.

Just now, Romier S said:

I'm not even sure how we're on this track of discussion but ok lol.

Well I just mean what value would a Souls or a Bloodborne have in the hands of anyone but Fromsoftware (Demon's Souls remake doesn't count).

Phil did say he was interested in acquiring a Japanese developer. :spencer:

But I'm just teasing. Anyway, yes... Bethesda...

26 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Well I just mean what value would a Souls or a Bloodborne have in the hands of anyone but Fromsoftware (Demon's Souls remake doesn't count).

I'm not looking to lessen the importance of Hidetaka Miyazaki and his team at From who have produced some of my absolute favorite experiences this generation but there are also plenty of studios out there that have taken on the Souls-like genre and succeeded in making their own worthwhile games. I would have confidence that a studio like Bluepoint could take the lessons learned from remaking the game that started the sub-genre from top to bottom and produce something worthwhile if From were not interested or available. Certainly, I would prefer to have Miyazaki at the helm (duh) but no, I'm not gonna say " Demon's Souls" doesn't count based on the amount of work that Bluepoint have had to do to make that game a reality and the value the title has as a launch game for their new platform. Do you truly believe a Bloodborne remake by Bluepoint has no value for example? Again, this is a silly tangent anyways but well, you started it.;)

13 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm not looking to lessen the importance of Hidetaka Miyazaki and his team at From who have produced some of my absolute favorite experiences this generation but there are also plenty of studios out there that have taken on the Souls-like genre and succeeded in making their own worthwhile games. I would have confidence that a studio like Bluepoint could take the lessons learned from remaking the game that started the sub-genre from top to bottom and produce something worthwhile if From were not interested or available. Certainly, I would prefer to have Miyazaki at the helm (duh) but no, I'm not gonna say " Demon's Souls" doesn't count based on the amount of work that Bluepoint have had to do to make that game a reality and the value the title has a launch game for their new platform. Do you truly believe a Bloodborne remake by Bluepoint has no value for example? Again, this is a silly tangent anyways but well, you started it.

That's not to dismiss their work on the Souls remake, but I can't look at it as their game (in the typical sense) any more than I can Shadow of the Colossus. That's an absolutely fair point re: Bluepoint's abilities as a developer in general though, and a big reason I'd like to see them branch off from doing remakes in the near future. It would make sense for Sony to acquire them that's for sure.

Jokey comment was not intended to turn into a protracted conversation. :) 

ANYWAY... Bethesda...

That's interesting if true. How long has it been since Starfield was announced (in the "here's a logo" sense)? It's a game that in my mind I still think of as being years away from release.

• Interesting 1

Fuck Sony for negotiating for Starfield exclusivity, too.

In so far as my general feelings about this announcement, I'll reiterate what I said in the Avengers thread...

We already are. Timed and general exclusivity is never going to not be a thing in this industry while you have competing platforms (regardless of articles telling us that the console war is "over", too). Sony featured a slew of indie and third party titles that are exclusive to the PS5 platform and despite plenty of lip service from Phil Spencer about how anti-consumer exclusivity deals are, Microsoft isn't operating any differently in that regard. Plenty of "console launch exclusive" and timed exclusivity deals for their platform shown at their recent event last I checked.

It's shitty regardless of the purveyor. I'm always a fan of seeing good games and experiences get into the hands of as many gamers as possible which is why the uproar over Sony releasing Horizon on PC was hysterical nonsense to me as an example. I would applaud Sony releasing the damned game on Xbox Game Pass if it let more folks enjoy that game. Not that it will ever happen and I'd question their business sanity a bit there but you get my meaning.

I think there are definite positives here from a value proposition in terms of these games appearing on Game Pass day one (I would buy physical copies anyways so that value is lost to me, anyways but good for those that take advantage) and it absolutely makes sense for Microsoft as a Game Pass play. Otherwise, I'm not cheering on the possibility of several big franchises getting locked down to a single platform nor will I would I cheer it on if Sony went out and bought Capcom tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is... is that true, though? I'm honestly asking, because based on how Rare and Bungie worked out... are we looking at another potential exodus?

Just now, Josh said:

Is... is that true, though? I'm honestly asking, because based on how Rare and Bungie worked out... are we looking at another potential exodus?

Carmack and Zenimax had a huge lawsuit about them saying he took technology from id and gave it to Oculus/Facebook. So with that Carmack was banned from coming into contact with anything to do with id. It's so petty that NIN recently released the soundtrack to Quake on vinyl and Zenimax made then take out the liner notes written by American McGee and Carmack. NIN published them on their website AND Zenimax even forced them to take them down from that. The hatred for Carmack at Zenimax runs fucking deep.

As a (not entirely equal) comparison, here is how much Disney spent on its acquisitions (not including Fox as that is at a very different level). 

Pixar - 7.4B

Marvel - 4B

LucasFilm - 4B

This is very surprising news and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. In terms of a business acquisition, 7.5B seems like quite a lot, that will take some time to recoup, but I understand why they did this.

Its funny how MS has made a habit of acquiring studios that have exclusivity deals with Sony that they have to honour. 

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

Its funny how MS has made a habit of acquiring studios that have exclusivity deals with Sony that they have to honour. 

Microsoft is playing the long game here and they can because they have the backing of Office 365 and Azure to be able to afford to do this.

7 minutes ago, kelley said:

Microsoft is playing the long game here and they can because they have the backing of Office 365 and Azure to be able to afford to do this.

Oh I understand that, and I’m not worried about them over spending. I think it’s just amusing. MS also isn’t against publishing games on other platforms (ie Minecraft) if it makes sense for them to do so.