LCVG

Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)

I’m not too worried about this. I imagine they follow the Minecraft formula. That’s just too much money spent. Not only, it seems people don’t consider the money it costs to maintain these large studios in between releases. Gamepass may have 15 million subscribers now, but that is still so small, it will only recoup them a fraction of these costs. They need sales. So you probably see smaller titles be exclusive or timed while the big AAA releases are everywhere possible.And yeah, they have all sorts of money to burn, but they didn’t get to that point by just throwing it away either. 

And honestly, Bethesda and related studios have had mostly misses or titles underperform the past couple of years. They aren’t coming from a position of strength at the moment, so this should help them,  because there is some great IP there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil Spencer be hiding all kinds of things in the background of his quarantine interviews. First the Series S, now this:    

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/?ocid=Parterships_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_buy_9.21.1   Huge news!

We're definitely being drawn into platform wars tribalism here. A lot of us, including me, are trying to figure which next-gen console to invest in for the next half decade or so. And I know I'm looking for pros and cons to guide me toward that decision.

But post-decision I will weaponize all of those reasons as comfortable reinforcement of why I made the right decision. So if Sony head quarters has a massive covid-19 outbreak killing everyone in the company, hell--yes I'll be posting here saying "Thank god I bought an xbox." Because that's how I roll.

But if somehow I DO get a PS5 and cancel my Series X preorder, then fuck Microsoft for buying Bethesda. Assholes. Maybe.

• Haha 2

I hadn't even thought about Obsidian and Bethesda being under the same parent now...  crazy stuff.  I'm also wondering what's up with that Carmack tweet.  Probably nothing, since he's working on AI and Oculus stuff now, but it'd be neat to see him come back to work on Id stuff to at least some degree.

As for the PS5 exclusives/publishing?  Given how readily they've done things like put games on Switch, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see things like Elder Scrolls 6 on playstation (as well as day 1 on gamepass).  After all-it still makes money, and if they can tie an XBL service login into your PSN ID, all the better. 

I think you're more likely to see Elder Scrolls 6 on Game Pass day one for 6 months before it hits Playstation 5. Timed exclusivity for the bigger releases makes sense. You get the Game Pass messaging, you get the exclusivity to maximize sales on your platform and you get the eventual money from Playstation 5 owners down the line.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

A lot of us, including me, are trying to figure which next-gen console to invest in for the next half decade or so. And I know I'm looking for pros and cons to guide me toward that decision.

The easiest solution - buy them all. Removes any pesky access issues.;)

I couldn't care less about corporate tribalism either. None of these companies gives a shit about us outside of the money they can extract from our wallets nor should they really. They aren't built to be altruistic, afterall. That's not to say they can't be forced to be better by our buying habits and competition.

What I actually like about where we are right now with the consoles is that there are really rather compelling arguments for owning each from the big three. That's not something I've felt for almost ten years now. The mental and financial gymnastics involved are really just trying to decide which to get first, and how to ultimately be able to divide up time between everything in the long term. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What I actually like about where we are right now with the consoles is that there are really rather compelling arguments for owning each from the big three. That's not something I've felt for almost ten years now. The mental and financial gymnastics involved are really just trying to decide which to get first, and how to ultimately be able to divide up time between everything in the long term. 

Pretty much. If I make it three months before buying an Series X, I'll be shocked. I'll buy a Nintendo Switch Pro whenever they want to release that, too.

• Cheers 1
1 minute ago, foogledricks said:

I like any man subscribe to the ideals of monogamy until it becomes inconvenient to my impulses. But try I must to choose one and be faithful.

Damn it, I know that some asshole is going to take my first few words out of context. Quote me in their signature. Post a deep-fake video.

6 minutes ago, iainl said:

Tango’s PlayStation exclusive “Ghostwire” looks an awful lot like a VR game. Being “console exclusive” is no skin off Microsoft’s nose if that’s the case. 

That assumes a lot about the quality of the final game, no? “Oh it’s just a shitty VR-like game so no big” is an oddly specific hill to climb on.

• Cheers 1
18 minutes ago, iainl said:

I’m assuming nothing about the quality. Just everything about how many VR headsets are available for Microsoft consoles. It would be stupid to bin development just to spite Sony. 

I gotcha, has Ghostwire been confirmed as a VR title?

I misread your statement as "it looks like an awful VR game" so that's my bad.;)

No, I’m just going off what we’ve seen so far, really. If it’s not, then I guess it’s a bit more of a challenge, but it seems all exclusives are timed if you wait long enough. 

Still, the footage shows, and the blurb all claims, that it’s a first person game based around using hand gestures to cast magic. Which sounds like the primary target is motion control VR, even if there’s also a flat option with buttons and Black and White style stuff. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, iainl said:

No, I’m just going off what we’ve seen so far, really. If it’s not, then I guess it’s a bit more of a challenge, but it seems all exclusives are timed if you wait long enough. 

Realistically I would imagine that there are contracts in place that Microsoft would have to pay out if they don't honor anyway so again, I don't think they are keeping those games there out of pure altruism. If they felt the games were going to make more money than paying out the contract, they'd likely break them though I'd have to imagine a breach of contract lawsuit would follow and that is more trouble than its worth.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iainl said:

Tango’s PlayStation exclusive “Ghostwire” looks an awful lot like a VR game. Being “console exclusive” is no skin off Microsoft’s nose if that’s the case. 

It's not PS exclusive, just timed, and it's never been a VR game that I know of.