LCVG

Microsoft acquires Zenimax Media, Inc (Bethesda and its studios)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil Spencer be hiding all kinds of things in the background of his quarantine interviews. First the Series S, now this:    

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/?ocid=Parterships_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_buy_9.21.1   Huge news!

8 hours ago, dogbert said:

It's not PS exclusive, just timed, and it's never been a VR game that I know of.

Ah, fair enough then. It just involves going around in 1st person and drawing shapes in the air with your hands to cast spells - so it really looked like a VR game to me. Happy to be corrected. 

10 hours ago, kelley said:

Important question: How long until I can play DOOM: Eternal on GamePass?

That's actually something I'm interested to see. The deal wont be finalised for many months, but whether that means having to delay bringing over the entire library to Game Pass I don't know. The Eternal DLC is a month away right? Might be good to throw the core game up on Game Pass by then if that were possible. 

To put this in some perspective...

Sony is coming off I would assume their most successful gen with the PS4. I did not do the math, but according to another poster, between 2013-2019, Sony had a total operating profit of 8.8 billion. 

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

To put this in some perspective...

Sony is coming off I would assume their most successful gen with the PS4. I did not do the math, but according to another poster, between 2013-2019, Sony had a total operating profit of 8.8 billion. 

Yes that’s their annual profit (not for all of those years combined). Sony averages nearly 75-77 billion in revenue every year. Their gaming division alone brings in nearly 6 billion in revenue. 

Microsofts gaming division posted an operating income of 3.63 billion thus far in 2020 (as of Q3). I could throw that number out in a vacuum as well to make silly comparisons, too.;) (not that you did but I saw that post on Era and rolled my eyes a bit).

Microsoft is obviously a much larger and more profitable company by nature of its business alone. Windows and Office guarantees that. Microsoft has nearly 129 billion cash in hand. Sony has a little over 5 billion. I want neither to go on this type of shopping spree again anytime soon. This type of industry consolidation scares the shit out of me as a consumer. 

That was a good interview. Definitely sounds as though Game Pass and being under the umbrella will help to alleviate some of the money pressure when designing their games. Curious to hear more about how Microsoft see Bethesda as a publisher long term but its cool to see them excited about the future.

14 hours ago, kelley said:

Just know, those GamePass subs are really nicely priced for MS employees. 

I had a pass earlier this year for the company store (they sent codes to anyone registered for //build), and another 12m of ultimate was $90 US (redeemable globally).  A much better deal than buying games one off from there.  Still not quite the 3 years for a buck that the initial conversion got, but cheaper than street price for sure.  If I could have extended past 2023 I would have.