LCVG

Hades-Supergiant Roguelike (PS, Xbox, PC, Switch)

ChrisBardon

I had a run last night where I made it to 

Spoiler

Elysium.

I got the curse that gave me 60% less health but 2 points recovery for every attack, buffed my attack to do an extra 80% damage, and had a double hit on my special.  I feel like I should had gotten farther but got sloppy, died after choosing one god over the other.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

I had a run last night where I made it to 

Hide contents

Elysium.

I got the curse that gave me 60% less health but 2 points recovery for every attack, buffed my attack to do an extra 80% damage, and had a double hit on my special.  I feel like I should had gotten farther but got sloppy, died after choosing one god over the other.

Such a fun game of choices.

So they actually added some new stuff since last year that's pretty game changing.  I don't remember ever seeing the item that restores a use of Death Defiance before, but that's basically made sure that I always have 200 gold on me once I've used that at least once.  I actually ran across a character in Elysium yesterday that gave me an item that restored ALL uses of Death Defiance, but somehow I still wasn't able to beat that level boss.  That was a Fists run, which are great at dealing with single enemies, but not so much on large mobs and bosses.

• 2 weeks later...

46 runs before I beat it this time, but then I made it out on 47, 48, and 50 with different weapons.  Such an awesome game.  Stuck with some analysis paralysis on what to dump titan blood into though.  I have shield and spear left to beat the game with.  I got the chaos shield, but it doesn't seem great so far, but I think that might just need another upgrade or two? 

Might not even matter though.  If I've learned anything from this game so far, somehow every build is viable.  I don't know how they do it, but somehow, no matter how strange the description seems, the different strategies just...work.  I just won with the sword and a keepsake that gave you a damage bonus for attack/special without boons on them, so I invested in stuff that made my dash strike better (as well as call and other "misc" upgrades).  This is what I wrote down:

-Shattered Shackle: +50% damage to attack/special without a boon (leveled up to 75% later)

-No god boons on attack/special

-+75% dash strike damage

-+100% dash strike damage

-Dash strike hits twice and +20% damage

-15% chance of critical after special

-Dash spawns lightning

-Lightning causes Jolted

-Jolted does not expire on attack

Which probably means base +270%, then +40% for a bloodstone and then hitting twice (not sure what's additive and what's multiplicative).  Absolutely devastating for a keepsake I grabbed just to see how it worked.  This is after several runs of trying to max out the benefits of the +40% for two curses effect too...

Going to at least see this one through to the end of the story content.

Up to 7 successful runs out of 54 now, and hitting a wall on being able to beat Hades.  I upgraded the fists to max out the aspect of Talos, which has an awesome effect where the special pulls in enemies, and makes you deal 50% more damage to them for a few seconds afterwards.  Works great on everything except Hades honestly...  I think I need to go back to a different weapon and try some other stuff (and earn more titan blood, since I wasted all the bonus that I had).  I've definitely settled into a few boons that I really like though.  Zeus' cast ability is great for mobs, chill on at attack is really useful, and artemis' greater call ability does a ton of damage to bosses.

I also did the math, and it looks like the bonus percentages are all additive, so if you have, say 40% for a bloodstone, 30% for backstab, and 50% for magnetized, you'll do base * 2.2 damage.  There might be something in there that's multiplicative, but I haven't been able to check those out (just basing those numbers on beating up skelly.

And credits!  There is an "ending" to Hades, but even after that, there's still more you can do.  I did read up on the requirements to get the epilogue, which sounds like you need to play a lot more runs at increasingly higher heat levels.  I have no idea how much longer it'd take to get through all of that, but I think I might take a break for now and start something new. 

Part of me really wants to get a look at the code for the game and know how they did what they did.  There has to be some logic in there around what boons etc are complimentary, as well as doing things like increasing the probability on things you haven't received yet.  It could be as simple as certain things being defined as mutually exclusive, and then choosing from a random set?  If I had to guess, for god boons, I'd suspect it'd be something like a probability for the rarity of a boon slot, followed by a roll for which boon goes into that slot from a set that has any boons that are already assigned at equal or lower rarity removed.  This is why you'll never get the option to replace an attack boon with a less rare one.  So slot 1 rolls "rare", and you have epic attack and cast already, so you might get a special, call, and some other generic boons in that slot.  Then perhaps apply a slightly higher weighting to a boon that you haven't gotten before if it's in the eligible list, possibly with an increasing weight on the save until eventually you're all but guaranteed to see it?  Same may apply for pairings actually-as you go through the game, you'll eventually see every pairing possible (or does this only rely on using the keepsakes to mess with the RNG)?  In some ways, the procedural stuff is a really cool problem to have to solve if/when you're in the mindset for that kind of thing, and it seems incredibly easy to do very badly. 

I think you're on the money about rolls being weighted towards what's positive for you vs just purely random. 

You're much better at this than me -  I haven't had much time to play this week, but still frustrated by the damn bone hydra. I was a sliver of health away from beating it last time. 

And of course, what did I end up doing last night when I booted the Xbox...played more Hades (and finished two more runs, neither of which I expected to win given early progress) :)  There are still more builds to try out, and the endgame systems that let you earn more rewards are certainly interesting. 

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

You're much better at this than me -  I haven't had much time to play this week, but still frustrated by the damn bone hydra. I was a sliver of health away from beating it last time. 

For the Hydra, you can do pretty well hitting the main head at range.  It's when you get the extra heads spawning that things get messy.  Dash + deflect is great here, as is something that can cause status effects.  At full upgrade, it's a 40% bonus for 2 or more effects, so that can be pretty effective. Also, the damage bonus for enemies with bloodstones embedded is useful, but it also doesn't matter if you have 1, 2, or 3 in one of them, so it not usually worth having more than one stuck at a time. 

If it's any consolation, I still haven't beaten Dead Cells? 

I was actually going to start Psychonauts 2 this weekend, but when I went to launch, there was a 28GB update, so what did I do...played more Hades while that downloaded.  I think I'm at the point where I might try to clean up the last of the achievements on this one.  I managed to get the second statue last night:

Spoiler

As it turns out, you can increase heat as high as you want without losing the rewards in between.  I did a few runs with the sword from heat 1-8, and then jumped straight to 16 to get the second skelly unlock.  That gives you the rewards for heat 9, but counts as beating it at 16. 

So far I think I'm at 22 or so completed runs, and there's still more story to go.  More importantly, the game continues to be fun to play, with the extra challenge layer adding a lot, and switching up weapons/boons gives you a bunch of variety (although I'm definitely finding I have favourites that I'm going back to).  Last few achievements seem to mostly be around finishing out the last few prophecies, so still some more things to try out. 

Done:

image.png.876e4fdaebe5c52c90bc1b50160d89cb.png

Final tally was 108 attempts, and the last few achievements were just waiting on the right RNG.  Getting to the epilogue is neat, and I'm still amazed that I don't think I had a single repeated line of dialogue the whole time.  If I were to go back and do anything, it'd probably be to try some of the aspects that I didn't get a chance to try out as much (the alt for the rail seems neat).  Last run I did was with the bow, the aspect of hera, and Artemis' cast.  I added on boons that took the bloodstone drop time to 1.2s, and then got exit wounds up to 120 damage on drop.  This meant: load cast into bow (x3), power shot (bow damage + 3 cast damages), then pick up stones 1.2s later after they've done another 360 damage (assuming the target survives.  

Definitely the most time I've spent with a Supergiant game yet.  I really need to go back and finish Pyre and Transistor, since I barely touched those two.