LCVG

Back 4 Blood from Turtle Rock Studios

Starhawk

• 1 year later...

Wow - I didn’t realize this thread hadn’t been updated since 2020 until I was looking for it  😊 Anyway, I’ve almost finished this one (Act4) and have been playing coop with a friend throughout. It’s a brilliant evolution of the L4D formula and I’m really liking it and just like L4D, I expect to replay all these B4B maps over and over again. I’m really liking how the cards change the feel of the game from 1 level to the next like bonuses for killing bosses, watching out for armored guys, etc. But, of course if you get a bad set of corruption cards dealt against you, it doesn’t seem to matter how good you deck is - it’s not going to help much. For example, me getting extra team health + ammo + stamina + whatever hasnt helped when I’ve had  extra bosses + armoured guys + exploded-head guys + insta-screeches dealt against me 😳 Still fun though heh. 

My friend and I retried Act 4 a few times but we’re still failing it 😕 This is with 2 of us and 2 bots but damn are they bad. Looking at guides it seems this one final level needs a custom deck build with dmg resistance and weak spot dmg and also almost all guides recommend 4 players since you can’t rely on the bots and at least 1 person needs to be dedicated to crowd control which the bots won’t do (ugh). It’s fine I guess but, feels kinda like “cheap” boss fight design right at the end while the rest of the game has been a lot of fun. The game up to now has needed a more well-rounded deck build with a mix of health, dmg, stamina, etc and has been fine with 2 of us + bots but, not the final level. It’s ok but, kinda a bummer to have this right at the end. 

I'm occasionally playing it, but just not as into it as Left 4 Dead. Some of my peevs are the enemies do seem to be cheap at times, zombies spawn literally everywhere, almost as if the map doesn't make sense or make any difference, the directional audio isn't that helpful to hear where they are coming from, and the aiming and controls in the game aren't the best.

Still, I have fun with it but it really helps with my friends I play with. 

Yea it’s a different game in coop (way better) vs single player. I like the cards and deck building aspects, the character bonuses and the ogre bosses are fun but, it also feels cheap in ways that L4D never did (like the zombies spawning from anywhere - even just coming up out of the ground, grenades being so ineffective, etc). We’ll beat the final boss soon enough and I’ll be glad to be done with that part and will probably still replay other levels and stuff but, it just doesn’t have the amazing feel; it doesn’t inspire that desire to replay it over and over that L4D did. Oh well, thank god for Gamepass 😊

Ok so we finished this today using custom “Boss” decks with weak point dmg, stamina, etc and it wasn’t too hard at all (the deck matters a lot). Anyway, it was fine but still isn’t a L4D replacement IMO. I liked it and had fun playing the levels and I know we’ll replay a few acts for fun (harder difficulty, different characters, etc) but otherwise I don’t see coming back to this one regularly like I always have with L4D. Regardless, fun game and easily worth playing through Gamepass 😊🧟‍♂️