LCVG

Films - Watched and Thoughts 2021

Angel P

Jungle Cruise is a great leave your brain at the door summer popcorn throwback adventure flick.

I assume this will be a one off as well, which seems so rare these days, an adventure film without a sequel already on the back burner. I'm sure they could concoct a sequel, but it certainly feels like a stand alone one off.

My family all enjoyed it, and certainly more so than any had anticipated. Everyone was Luke warm going in, and really excited leaving. It's certainly a movie that'll make an impression on kids, with plenty adventure movie visuals (good and creepy), awe moments, jump scares & laughs. 

Take little bit of Indiana Jones, Romance & the Stone, The Mummy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jumanji, etc, throw them in a blender and then put it back together with care, you'll get the Jungle Cruise. Nothing ground breaking, but certainly a good summer ride. Appropriately so! 

I forgot to mention it's that we did see Jungle Cruise at a theater. The theater was full and it made the movie feel more special, as all of the bug moments elicited strong audience reactions. We had seen Black Widow in a full theater, but it was a far more subdued experience, where Jungle Cruise in a full theater really felt like old school throw back fun in every way. 

Val - My wife and I watched this last night and it was really interesting. So much about the guy we never knew and some really in depth segments on how he prepared (or didn’t) for different roles. While it is a bit narcissistic in ways I thought it was really well done and even poignant in parts. 

Watched The Suicide Squad - It was fine but pretty forgettable. Margot Robbie is excellent and Idris Elba was good and had some of the funnier lines but, it just never quite comes together as anything more than “fine”. 

• 5 weeks later...

Worth - Wonderfully acted and a heart wrenching portrayal of the 9/11 victims compensation fund process on Netflix. Keaton, Tucci and Amy Ryan are just so good in this and the direction/editing keeps the pacing moving forward and never goes heavy handed on the emotional beats. The stories of these people are enough to elicit an emotional response and don't need a bunch of fluff around it and the movie understands that. You'd have to be a pretty hard hearted person to not be affected by this film. It's well worth spending your time with it and I recommend it.

Malignant - I don't know whether I loved or hated this to be honest. It's right on the cusp of being so bad, its good if that makes sense. I don't think the movies marketing did it any favors as this isn't a standard horror film. It has a helping of humor and not taking itself super seriously. The finale is just bonkers and will leave you rolling your eyes while still being captivated by the insanity on the screen. I'm sorry if this "review" sounds disjointed but this isn't one that's easy to classify and say "yeah it's junk". I mean, its junk yes but its just insane enough to be compelling!

On 9/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, Romier S said:

Malignant - I don't know whether I loved or hated this to be honest. It's right on the cusp of being so bad, its good if that makes sense. I don't think the movies marketing did it any favors as this isn't a standard horror film. It has a helping of humor and not taking itself super seriously. The finale is just bonkers and will leave you rolling your eyes while still being captivated by the insanity on the screen. I'm sorry if this "review" sounds disjointed but this isn't one that's easy to classify and say "yeah it's junk". I mean, its junk yes but its just insane enough to be compelling!

I really, really enjoyed this.  That ending reminded me of 

Spoiler

1982’s Basket Case.

It's a complete homage (ripoff?) of that, yes. Again, if you accept that the movie isn't made with any level of seriousness, then its wonderful cheese/junk integrated into a 70's/early 80's Italian horror movie. The problem is (and this something I agree with the RLM guys on), Wan is too slick a filmmaker for it and tonally it never quite feels right. It starts with a totally tongue in cheek intro ("It's like he's broadcasting his THOUGHTS!")  and then switches to being a Conjuring movie and then back, etc. It's just fucking weird lol. By the end, I was legit cackling at some of it ("Next time....I'll be ready!" *super serious look on her face*....I nearly spit my drink out LMAO).

Again, I don't know how to feel about it other than its certainly a laughably bad movie but fuck its entertaining.