LCVG

Games Finished in 2021

I loved it. I was genuinely surprised at how fantastic this game is. I felt the controls to be, at times, a bit wonky when it came to simultaneously turning and strafing but can’t speak to how that compares to prior to the latest patch. 

Continuing my Mario theme, I finished a complete play through of Super Mario Bros 2 Japan (aka Super Mario Bros Lost Levels) including the insane World 9. 

What a weird Mario game. It felt more like a compilation of Mario Maker levels than anything Nintendo has made. I know it was designed to be hard, but there were some choices with level design that are just bizarre. Everything about it just feels off. The game is obsessed with hiding almost all of the power ups in hidden or hard to reach blocks and there are long stretches in many levels where there is almost nothing happening. I felt like I spent 90% of the game as small Mario and maybe 1% with a fireball. 

Hats off to anyone that managed to finish that back in the day without save states.

NOA definitely made the right choice in not bringing this to North America. 

What Mario adventure will be next?

4270E64D-FBC1-4F02-A7D8-3883C1E52CC7.thumb.jpeg.e9d79f4cd50fb4433c5b050a383123ed.jpeg

Finished the Cold War campaign on PS5, did both endings. Working on The Medium and Cold Steel III. Once they are done, probably going 13 Sentinels or AC:Origins on PlayStation and Gears 4&5 or The Outer Worlds on Xbox.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, Graeme said:

I was going to finish a Mario World play through I had started last year, loaded up my game and discovered that I HAD finished it but completely forgot..... so on to something else. 

60E7C83C-5159-4B95-AA90-086D066C7D59.thumb.jpeg.dde919b8d01669aae2495afabc904639.jpeg

Super Ghouls and Ghosts was one of the earliest SNES games I owned and I really liked it despite how challenging it was. I was never able to finish though. I would get through the two playthroughs and then would run out of continues on the final level boss (before the actual final boss, which I’m not sure I knew about). Along with Battletoads, it’s always been one of those games that I put a lot of time into, but couldn’t finish. 

This playthrough did make some liberal use of save states (especially at the end), but it was nice to finally get through it.

Trails of Cold Steel III is done. Even though it ends on a major cliffhanger, I am taking a break. Going back to back to back with 3 100 hour plus JRPG’s was just too much. I was thinking AC next, but I want to play some smaller games. I’m thinking the Medium, 13 Sentinels, and then go from there.

I finished a playthrough of Shadowgate and Déjà Vu on NES.

I had to use a walk through more than I would care to admit for Shadowgate. There are a lot of puzzles that have clues so subtle you don’t realize their clues, or just puzzles with no real clue at all. 

Deja Vu wasn’t so bad, but I still needed a walk though for a few things. 

Oh man, i was playing Deja Vu and lost my save.  Not a big deal considering it’s a short game so I’ll restart it but i remember playing this and Shadowgate on the NES way back in the day.  Needed a walkthrough a few times myself.  

3 hours ago, Angel P said:

Oh man, i was playing Deja Vu and lost my save.  Not a big deal considering it’s a short game so I’ll restart it but i remember playing this and Shadowgate on the NES way back in the day.  Needed a walkthrough a few times myself.  

I lost my save for Shadowgate during my playthrough because I did a factory reset on my device without backing it up. It only took 10-15 mins to get back to where I was since I had just done it all. 

In Déjà Vu there seems to be a feature where it will delete your save if you die in the same place numerous times. I’m glad I had save states when that happened. 

On 3/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, Graeme said:

I finished Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins last night. 

This was a bit of an unexpected one. I hadn’t even thought about this game at all, but saw it on the Eshop and bought it. 

I had never played this before in any form. I’m not entirely sure why, but I must have been over my Gameboy phase by then?

It’s quite good. The jumping physics are a little weird compared to other Mario games, but I adjusted to them pretty quick. It’s pretty impressive graphically compared to Mario Land 1 and the variety in levels and outfits are pretty great too. 

My only complaint is that it’s quite short, and playing it on a 3DS caused my hand to cramp a bit. 

#10 is a playthrough of the excellent Klonoa Door to Phantomile to break in the new PS1Digital/XStation. It’s a lovely 2.5D platformer but the physical copy has gone up in price to insane levels. Even the Wii remake is over $100 now and it’s PS2 sequel is skyrocketing as well (I thankfully own that one). Anywho, I completed the game and rescued all of the world inhabitants to unlock the extra vision, too. It’s a blast to play and it’s available for $5.99 as a PS Classic on the PS3 so go grab it while you still can.

27E87317-23A9-4A94-BD9F-B4C96A618D8F.jpeg

7EBD8938-D065-44B0-80C6-91BC1BFB73DA.jpeg