LCVG

Games Finished in 2021

Angel P

#13 is Oddworld New ‘n Tasty - the remake of the PSX original Abe’s Odyssey. I couldn’t very well start Soulstorm without completing the original and I had forgotten I bought the digital version of this ages ago but it did not run at a locked 60fps even on the Pro. That is not an issue on the PS5 where the FPS is flawless. I rescued all 299 Mudokens while I was at it.

0BA83EBE-1B06-4050-8717-5C421A0B5ED9.jpeg

#20 is an awesome little Irem arcade game made by many of the same folks responsible for the Metal Slug series. It’s readily available as part of the Arcade Archives line on PS4/Switch and well worth it for $8.

D0F3E79E-7E68-41EA-A822-27A6F64EEE08.jpeg

4793F06C-76C3-4F61-B625-E7BF0DC35D8C.jpeg

#22 is the great remaster of Monster World IV, now titled Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World. This is technically a direct sequel to the previously released “Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom” but considering the remaster is based on a Mega Drive/Genesis release? This is a much simpler game. It’s an action/platformer with some RPG elements but the level design is straight out of the 16-bit era. The game can be beaten in 3-4 hours, too but that’s ok cause it’s a blast to play just like it’s predecessors. My only complaint here would be that the new 3D visuals lose some of the charm of the originals superb pixel art but it makes up for it with more expressive characters and a few worthwhile quality of life improvements. Check it out if you get the chance.

7B7F64D9-052F-4551-A159-DF48F6C6A89D.jpeg

#23 is Castlevania Lament of Innocence on the PS2. I never finished this game back in the day. However I had a really great time revisiting it. It suffers from repetitious level design and a somewhat lack of depth in its combat system but I really, really enjoyed the simplicity of this game. It’s somewhat maligned by others and I don’t quite understand why. I think it has a really solid foundation and some pretty nice visuals on the PS2. I also really enjoyed the story as it functions as a prequel for the entire series. The voice acting is schlocky and it shows how far we’ve come in modern games, but it works.

It also looks fantastic via the Retrotink5x on my TCL.

...and my god the music. This might be Yamane’s best work for the series and that’s saying a lot considering she composed the music for Symphony of the Night!

Heres my final save file and the only thing I’m missing is two relics that are random drops from enemies that aren’t a priority for me.

6A1513C5-BC9F-4F58-84E2-2A5611C863C3.jpeg