LCVG

Ubisoft Star Wars Open World Game

LUCASFILM GAMES announced that it’s entering a partnership with Ubisoft to create an open-world Star Wars game. The title will be developed by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment, marking the first time that a company outside of EA has produced a Star Wars game since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, ending nearly eight years of exclusivity. Also in the works is a new Indiana Jones game, to be developed by Bethesda Game Studios, a newcomer to Lucasfilm’s and Disney’s properties.

Development on this new title is still very early—Massive is still recruiting for the project even—so details are sparse. Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game’s creative director, and the title will use Massive’s Snowdrop engine. Beyond that, Lucasfilm Games hasn’t revealed anything about the characters or settings within the Star Wars universe that the game will feature.

Clearly Disney/Lucasfilm's strategy has shifted. I would say for the better, as long as they don't try to do too many games. I prefer the old 1980s-early 90s LucasArts approach of quality over quantity, before they went nuts in the prequel era with a lot of mediocre licensed titles outsourced to developers.

I'd love for them to take advantage of their old, non-SW/Indy-related IP, but I very much doubt we'll see that happen.

It’s not surprising. It’s basically the Marvel Games blueprint. License out to respected developers and let them have a go with it. EA deal ends in 2023, so nothing before then. As a huge fan of the Division 2 though, excited to see what Massive does with it. Indiana Jones I have no interest in. I have my doubts that they can do anything different or better then Uncharted or Tomb Raider has the past 10 years or so.

17 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

People seem to love the Division, so maybe that's a sign of what we're going to see?

Maybe not?

So, what can you tell us about the game so far?

[Julian Gerighty, creative director]: : Right now, we are in the beginning of our new journey, so we are still working out many of the details. But, what we can tell you is that this will be a story-driven open-world game.

For me, personally, this will be a departure from the world of The Division, and both I and the team at Massive are very excited to start crafting this new experience. We truly look forward to create something totally different from what we have done in the past, while upping the bar for the industry.