LCVG

MLB The Show 21 [PS5/PS4/Xbox Consoles... yes, Xbox consoles] - 20th April 2021

Paul

1 hour ago, kelley said:

Did Sony have to put it on Xbox to keep the MLB license?

Conflicting stories, but that one makes the least amount of sense. MLB had no real leverage. It was never a license exclusive to Sony, any other company could also license and put a baseball game on Xbox. Seems more likely MLB gave them a deal on the license in exchange for going multi platform.

Either way, it’s great that Xbox players will be able to play what has been consistently the best sports game on the market every year and also go cross platform, which I hope will force EA and 2K to stop their BS and do the same.

And don’t forget, this is also supposed to be coming to Switch.

I wish it were cheaper here but it's going to be launching at £60. On account of MLB having such a niche following in the UK the series never gets a physical release and is instead limited to PSN, so there's no option for getting it cheaper short of buying it from a US PSN account or waiting for a sale price. I enjoyed flirting with the the last instalment I bought (14 I think?) and am keen to see the game engine adapted to the next gen.

Worth noting the Xbox version will not support Smart Delivery on the standard edition (so they're pulling an NBA 2K1 there):

"Please Note: There will be no standard edition upgrade path from current gen to next-gen version of the game. If you are interested in having access to the game on both platforms, please wait for more info about the collector’s edition."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/02/01/mlb-the-show-21-coming-to-xbox/

MLB is also listed as the publisher of the Xbox version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mlb-the-show-21-xbox-series-x-s/9pbldt9bz8cq?atc=true&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

• Angry the Clown changed the title to MLB The Show 21 [PS5/PS4/Xbox Consoles... yes, Xbox consoles] - 20th April 2021
9 hours ago, Paul said:

Conflicting stories, but that one makes the least amount of sense. MLB had no real leverage. It was never a license exclusive to Sony, any other company could also license and put a baseball game on Xbox. Seems more likely MLB gave them a deal on the license in exchange for going multi platform.

That actually does make more sense. I was very surprised seeing this news, but as Dan mentioned this has been known to be happening since 2019. 

It really highlights how niche sports titles have become. There used to be 3-5 annual games for each sport (and in the case of football and basketball, Pro and College versions). Yes, in some cases it is due to licensing agreements, but even when those don’t exist, there isn’t any competition. 

• 1 month later...

They've been doing a series of videos.... featuring puppets for some reason... that give a glimpse of the game's visuals:

Not much footage to take in, but as expected it is looking very nice. Major reveal in the second video is the addition of a stadium creator on the next-gen editions. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, Josh said:

Stadium Creator looks neat! Could be almost a Theme Park mode... 

I was thinking the same thing. I enjoyed last years game. My only thing was online play was 80% laggy. Hopefully with the newer systems that’s not the case.

11 minutes ago, PHiL said:

I was thinking the same thing. I enjoyed last years game. My only thing was online play was 80% laggy. Hopefully with the newer systems that’s not the case.

I rarely bother with online. It's always been laggy and weird and the general player community tends to be pretty awful, doing things like pitching crap to get you to swing or leaving a game hanging if they are bad losers.

• 1 month later...

Spent some time with this last night after midnight launch.

I really like the clean, simple presentation, especially after years of clutter and promotions. I'm guessing some of that will come back as the season gets into full swing, but the in-your-face microtransaction stuff definitely seems dialed back.

I only played the introductory exhibition game, and my lord the lighting and FPS on PS5 are glorious. Shadows and textures are great, and even the crowd has more detail than usual. Kinda neat to see a jersey and facial expression of people in the stands.

Fielding seems tightened up, especially outfield ball landing points. That was a major annoyance last year, and they've tightened up the transition from pitcher view to fielding view that feels a lot more natural and reduces the amount of time it takes to reorient yourself.

In-game noise is strangely dialed back. Not sure if this was because I just played the exhibition / tutorial game, but I was surprised by the lack of chatter and replays. Will look into that more.

So far this is a massive improvement in terms of presentation and quality. UI changes alone are.

Wish I had a Series X to play it (goodness that was weird to type). I've such an outsiders flirtation when it comes to my interest in the sport, and in particular its various video game forms throughout the years, that Game Pass is the optimal platform to allow me to invest some time into it. 

Stadium Creator is great. I wish it provided more context / gamification, like a sim setting in which you could set concessions prices and see a game being played while trying to drum up attendance, but maybe that's in Diamond Dynasty. Will need to look into that as I've never been all that interested in DD.

Side note / warning: If you do Stadium Creator, the save system is wonky. I created a stadium, thought I saved it, and it's gone. Not sure what I did wrong - I think you need to use the blank slate stadium and create a copy of it. Mine simply didn't save when I edited an existing stadium. Bad.

Edit: here's how it works (stupid design): "Figured it out. When you're in the creator and save changes, it only saves the customizations. You then need to go to the hub, then save again, this time to your vault. THEN it's saved for real!"

• 3 months later...