LCVG

EA bringing back college football?

Soo happy for this news!

The ESPN article i saw said there may be a ruling change on the 'likeness" later this year.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30821045/school-plan-ea-sports-do-college-football

For now, EA Sports is planning to move forward without rosters that include the names, images or likenesses of real college players. Current NCAA rules prohibit athletes from selling their NIL rights while in college.

However, those rules are likely to be changed at some point in the coming year -- by the NCAA, state legislatures or Congress. It's not yet clear whether the evolving rules will allow for the kind of group licensing arrangements that would be needed for EA Sports to negotiate with athletes to use their names in the game.

Still.  Give the internet a week and we'll be able to download accurate rosters.  

I’m going to sound like an idiot here, and ask the ignorant question. 

Does College Football have a different rule set to the professional game? Or is it just a different roster of names and outfits you want from this over Madden? 

6 hours ago, iainl said:

Does College Football have a different rule set to the professional game? Or is it just a different roster of names and outfits you want from this over Madden? 

How the hell can you possibly know or care about the players and teams of college teams?! If anyone is any good in college I'll see them in Madden eventually and could care less about the fight song of Notre Dame versus LSU or whatever. And yet, I'm wrong. The college football game was super popular back in the day. People love this shit. Somehow. 

And yes I see the irony of a "videogame enthusiast" questioning the validity of a pastime that makes a group of people happy.

10 hours ago, iainl said:

They're pretty similar, but the College Football does have some minor differences in rules compared to the pros (# of feet inbounds for a catch, overtime rules, clock stoppage).

The video game itself is not just a roster/palette swap.  There are gameplay differences, i.e. play styles and things like that.  

As the owner of more racing games than sense I’m certainly not criticising anyone’s need for more variants. And let’s face it, the differences were always going to be at least as big as between the ‘97 and ‘99 Subaru in a Gran Turismo or whatever. 

But if there are differences like that, it makes more sense to me why people would want a new College game in principle, rather than just “someone else makes a football game, instead of the Madden Team again.” Thanks!

Come on over to the States and I will take you to a Georgia game! Then you will truly understand (although you might be terrified.) In my opinion, college football is our analogue to European soccer. We are spoiled for choice in sport, but nothing else quite stirs our passion — good or ill — like college football.

There are quite big differences for those that enjoy the management side of these games (GM/Dynasty modes). I’m not a player of these modes, so I might be making things up but managing a college team is very different than managing an NFL team. College is more about recruiting and developing players knowing that they will all leave within 4 years or so and will need to be replaced. NFL is more about drafting, picking up players off the waiver wire, resigning players to contracts, trading etc.