LCVG

Microsoft’s “FPS Boost” on Series X/S

Romier S

This is pretty cool. I’m trying to think of which old games I would like to see updated to take advantage of this. The first one that comes to mine is Forza Horizon 3, which ran at 30fps in 4K on the One X. A 60fps boost would be amazing to see. Also, give me that boost for the rest of the Assassin’s Creed games I have let to play, and I’ll be a very happy man.

8 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It is indeed cool but my mind is still on OG Xbox titles I want added to the list. I really hope we start to see much stronger spin up on those additions now that the gen is underway.

Yeah, it's a cool idea... But I need more games using it. And I'd love to see another few rounds of additions from OG + 360. 

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

It is indeed cool but my mind is still on OG Xbox titles I want added to the list. I really hope we start to see much stronger spin up on those additions now that the gen is underway.

I think that’s more up to the legal department at Microsoft than the BC team. I wonder if they’ve made any headway in finding determining the copyright owners for some of those old games in the time the team has spent preparing for Series X and S. 

In the meantime, I’ll gladly take a framerate boost for some of these old Xbox One titles. Any kind of an enhancement here is a win in my book.

13 hours ago, JFo said:

I think that’s more up to the legal department at Microsoft than the BC team. I wonder if they’ve made any headway in finding determining the copyright owners for some of those old games in the time the team has spent preparing for Series X and S. 

Microsoft announced backwards compatibility with original Xbox titles. They paused any and all enhanced additions to that list to concentrate on their next gen launch. That was understandable. The new systems are out. The point I was making was that I’d prefer to see equal, if not more focus given to original Xbox title releases alongside FPS Boost titles. Legal minutia not withstanding, there are still plenty of Microsoft published OG Xbox games that are ripe for the enhanced BC treatment that are MIA, so pointing at a legal issue here is fuzzy at best.

In the end, I agree that all of these enhancements are a win but if two years from now we’re still sitting at the same list of OG Xbox titles being BC as when the gen started? That’s going to be a rather major point of disappointment to me. The backwards compatibility program is literally the main reason I bought the Series X and the original Xbox (and 360!) has some of the best games of its generation. I want to see that promise of having those games enhanced on the current hardware realized and yes, that is of greater priority to me than “FPS Boost” for last gen titles despite my appreciating its existence and wanting to see more games enhanced. 

Jason Ronald appeared on Major Nelson’s podcast this week to talk about FPS boost (interview starts when you click the video).

Of note, he does say that this will not work with all titles as it can screw up other apsects of a game such as physics and anitmations.

23 minutes ago, JFo said:

Jason Ronald appeared on Major Nelson’s podcast this week to talk about FPS boost (interview starts when you click the video).

Of note, he does say that this will not work with all titles as it can screw up other apsects of a game such as physics and anitmations.

It's incredibly easy for game programmers to make things dependend on a fixed framerate (e.g. 30fps or 60fps). I know I've worked on games that did it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:05 AM, dogbert said:

It's incredibly easy for game programmers to make things dependend on a fixed framerate (e.g. 30fps or 60fps). I know I've worked on games that did it. 

So, question — if you have a game that is cross-platform and can run at 60fps on PC but not console, could that possibly be an indicator that a game would work with FPS boost?

13 hours ago, JFo said:

So, question — if you have a game that is cross-platform and can run at 60fps on PC but not console, could that possibly be an indicator that a game would work with FPS boost?

Off the top of my head, it's potentially a good indicator, but again, it's really easy to hardcode some physics calculation to be 30fps. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sweet! It looks like the next two games in my Assassin's Creed series play through-- Rogue Remastered and Unity -- are two of the titles to receive the FPS boost update today. Hopefully, that means SyndicateOrigins, and Odyssey will be added sometime soon.

EDIT: They also added The Ezio Collection (ACII, Brotherhood, and Revelations) and Assassin's Creed III Remastered to the list, so the series is pretty well represented now. I would love to see Black Flag added soon, although if it were added, I would feel pretty shitty about having just finished playing it a few weeks ago.

Out of curiosity, I booted up a couple games I own last night that were added to the FPS Boost list, just to see if they hype was real. Specifically, I checked out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and ReCore -- a game I always admired despite some obvious flaws. I wasn't sure if I needed to install any updates or not, but it didn't appear to be necessary. I started both of them up, and wouldn't you know it, suddenly they ran at a silky smooth 60fps!

As cool as it was to see Brotherhood running like this, it really felt transformative with ReCore, which is a more action-oriented game with lots of platforming. I always felt like it should run at 60fps, and was disappointed when it wasn't added as an option when the game received an upgrade on the Xbox One X.

AC: Unity is the one Digital Foundry talk about a lot isn't it? I'll be keen to see their video on it with the fps boost.

Efforts that MS are pouring into backwards compatibility continue to leave me more and more excited about getting a Series X later in the year (if I can find one!).

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

AC: Unity is the one Digital Foundry talk about a lot isn't it? I'll be keen to see their video on it with the fps boost.

Correct. Unity already ran at 60fps on Series X if you ran the original disc version unpatched.

I'd be open to giving it a whirl someday as I remember aspects of it appealing to me back when it came out, but the performance issues and bugs put me off (plus I simply wasn't in the mood to play another game in the series only a year after Black Flag (which remains the last entry in the series that I played, having only ever played Assassin's Creed II before it). 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, dogbert said:

I really need to dip into some of these - wish there was n easier way to spot these in the list of games.

I hit Allen Isolation last night (it’s on Game Pass but I bought a physical copy on Xbox One). It’s nice at 60fps but has some framerate issues due to how the game pools for streaming data. One of the Xbox devs posted on resetera that they are working on a system level fix for June affecting it and a few other games. Otherwise, it’s one of the better titles as it runs at the proper 1080p it did originally. That’s the thing about FPS Boost titles, it’s amazing for the Shadow of the Tomb Raiders and Isolations of the world that retain their resolutions. For other games that drop to the S profile? Meeeh. I can’t do 792p or 900p for some of these games that are running at 1800p or up in some cases. It’s not as clear cut for me if the 30fps in those titles was good to begin with.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Dark Souls III is getting the FPS boot treatment:

Great news for Xbox fans.

Though I would say that if you own both of the next gen consoles, get the game on the PS4. The Xbox version is set at 900p. The PS4 version got a Pro patch and runs at 1080p and a locked 60fps throughout the entire game and its expansions on PS5 (I know since I recently replayed it all). It's the version to get, IMO unless they do a 900p/120hz mode here which would certainly be interesting/worthwhile but then I'd own both.:)