LCVG

Microsoft’s “FPS Boost” on Series X/S

This is pretty cool. I’m trying to think of which old games I would like to see updated to take advantage of this. The first one that comes to mine is Forza Horizon 3, which ran at 30fps in 4K on the One X. A 60fps boost would be amazing to see. Also, give me that boost for the rest of the Assassin’s Creed games I have let to play, and I’ll be a very happy man.

8 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It is indeed cool but my mind is still on OG Xbox titles I want added to the list. I really hope we start to see much stronger spin up on those additions now that the gen is underway.

Yeah, it's a cool idea... But I need more games using it. And I'd love to see another few rounds of additions from OG + 360. 

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

It is indeed cool but my mind is still on OG Xbox titles I want added to the list. I really hope we start to see much stronger spin up on those additions now that the gen is underway.

I think that’s more up to the legal department at Microsoft than the BC team. I wonder if they’ve made any headway in finding determining the copyright owners for some of those old games in the time the team has spent preparing for Series X and S. 

In the meantime, I’ll gladly take a framerate boost for some of these old Xbox One titles. Any kind of an enhancement here is a win in my book.

13 hours ago, JFo said:

I think that’s more up to the legal department at Microsoft than the BC team. I wonder if they’ve made any headway in finding determining the copyright owners for some of those old games in the time the team has spent preparing for Series X and S. 

Microsoft announced backwards compatibility with original Xbox titles. They paused any and all enhanced additions to that list to concentrate on their next gen launch. That was understandable. The new systems are out. The point I was making was that I’d prefer to see equal, if not more focus given to original Xbox title releases alongside FPS Boost titles. Legal minutia not withstanding, there are still plenty of Microsoft published OG Xbox games that are ripe for the enhanced BC treatment that are MIA, so pointing at a legal issue here is fuzzy at best.

In the end, I agree that all of these enhancements are a win but if two years from now we’re still sitting at the same list of OG Xbox titles being BC as when the gen started? That’s going to be a rather major point of disappointment to me. The backwards compatibility program is literally the main reason I bought the Series X and the original Xbox (and 360!) has some of the best games of its generation. I want to see that promise of having those games enhanced on the current hardware realized and yes, that is of greater priority to me than “FPS Boost” for last gen titles despite my appreciating its existence and wanting to see more games enhanced. 

Jason Ronald appeared on Major Nelson’s podcast this week to talk about FPS boost (interview starts when you click the video).

Of note, he does say that this will not work with all titles as it can screw up other apsects of a game such as physics and anitmations.

23 minutes ago, JFo said:

Jason Ronald appeared on Major Nelson’s podcast this week to talk about FPS boost (interview starts when you click the video).

Of note, he does say that this will not work with all titles as it can screw up other apsects of a game such as physics and anitmations.

It's incredibly easy for game programmers to make things dependend on a fixed framerate (e.g. 30fps or 60fps). I know I've worked on games that did it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:05 AM, dogbert said:

It's incredibly easy for game programmers to make things dependend on a fixed framerate (e.g. 30fps or 60fps). I know I've worked on games that did it. 

So, question — if you have a game that is cross-platform and can run at 60fps on PC but not console, could that possibly be an indicator that a game would work with FPS boost?

13 hours ago, JFo said:

So, question — if you have a game that is cross-platform and can run at 60fps on PC but not console, could that possibly be an indicator that a game would work with FPS boost?

Off the top of my head, it's potentially a good indicator, but again, it's really easy to hardcode some physics calculation to be 30fps.