LCVG

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD Announced for the Switch! Available July 16th.

Romier S

27 minutes ago, Romier S said:

This is the one game that desperately deserves an HD version. It's a gorgeous game that looks awful at 480p.

Tell me about it-my son wanted to try it the other day, and it looks like crap.  Interested in seeing how it ages, and whether the motion controls are better/worse than on the Wii.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

This is the one game that desperately deserves an HD version. It's a gorgeous game that looks awful at 480p.

It looks like the frame rate got a boost to 60 as well. Very nice!

This is the only 3D Zelda I've only finished once. It will be interesting to replay it again and see how well it holds up. I remember enjoying it well enough on the Wii. It seems like the concensus over this one has soured over time. Maybe there's something I missed about it, or perhaps folks wanted something different from the series (which they eventually got with Breath of the Wild.

The addition of button controls is great as well. I know a lot of folks who will probably be willing to give this game a try now that this is an option. As for me, I'll probably play using the Pro Controller and just use the right stick for the sword attacks. I would play with motion controls, but I hate using the joy cons when playing on the TV — way too small for my hands.

I got this for Wii too, but my Wii wasn’t working correctly for much of its life, which I never got fixed, so this is one I never played, and never went back to on WiiU

Im glad it’s getting remade. This seems like one of the forgotten Zelda games. 

Wow, you guys gave up way too easily. I remember running over to Best Buy on the day of its release and buying the collector’s edition, which included a gold Zelda-themed Wii remote. I came home and found that my original launch-day Wii wasn’t working properly. Something was wrong with the video output, and the image was really dark and hard to see on the TV. I knew it wasn’t the component cable because I had switched it out with a newer one, so I knew it had to be a problem with the console itself.

Undeterred, I drove back to Best Buy and bought a brand new Wii. I ended up playing for about 10-12 hours that day (I remember telling my wife, “Don’t bother me today.”) and putting about 50+ hours into it before finally finishing it.

I look forward to playing it again in HD (at long last).

An HD boost won't improve the gameplay. It's still a crap game, almost as bad as Twilight Princess. The flying between mission points is interminably boring, the dungeons are uninspired, the side characters are dull, the above world activities are tedious, Fi is as annoying and useless as Midna and Navi, the art design is ugly. Nothing redeeming about this one.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put about 5 hours into Skyward Sword this weekend. Having never played the original, it was all new to me and I'm having a lot of fun so far. The motion controls for combat work fine for me but I'm having all kinds of problems flying around on the bird (I've resorted to switching off motion controls when flying). I'm also really enjoying the return of dungeons and Link's classic green outfit/hat. One QoL issue that I wish Nintendo added is when you use the bird statues to travel back to Skyloft, it would take you immediately there, instead of taking you above the clouds and then having to fly there yourself.

I started this as well, and I'm only maybe 90 mins in.  I started out with the motion controls, but ended up switching for the pro controller and am liking that a lot better.  The accuracy on the right stick seems to be enough (for now), and other than forgetting that you have to hold LB to move the camera, it's been pretty straightforward.  The motion controls are mostly functional, but seemed to take much bigger motions than a small flick for things like the spin attack.  It's also nice to have those be all relative motion instead of absolute (no sensor bar/pointer anymore).  Game itself is slow to get going though, which I'd forgotten.  I played this one once 10 years ago, so it's almost new except for for vague themes that I remembered (like that black monster, the bird stuff, and the motion controls).  See how well the rest of it ages.  You can definitely see some BOTW DNA in here though.