LCVG

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection (Sigma, Sigma 2 and NG3 Razor's Edge) - (PS4, XB1, Switch)

Romier S

I have all three of these games already on Xbox. Given the fact that they all run at 4K 60fps, I don't see much reason to purchase this collection. It's nice for the other platforms though. I'm glad to see a couple more games make the jump from PS3 to PS4/PS5.

33 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Got me considering replaying the first.

If you can, play Ninja Gaiden Black on the new Xbox consoles instead of getting the Sigma version in this collection. It’s the superior version of the game, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, JFo said:

If you can, play Ninja Gaiden Black on the new Xbox consoles instead of getting the Sigma version in this collection. It’s the superior version of the game, in my opinion.

Superior in that it is harder, easier, or different? I played the original game, loved it. And then when they updated it to make it harder, I couldn't beat it anymore. So if you're just saying that Black was way harder and therefore better than the fisher-price hand-holding Sigma version, then we will part ways on this.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Superior in that it is harder, easier, or different? I played the original game, loved it. And then when they updated it to make it harder, I couldn't beat it anymore. So if you're just saying that Black was way harder and therefore better than the fisher-price hand-holding Sigma version, then we will part ways on this.

Sigma is easier, yes and not in a good way. It fucked with the level design and balance of the game adding more save points and shop locations. It also removed bonus outfits, the opening CG movie, the ability to view the CG movies outside of the game, etc. 

Ninja Gaiden is hard. It’s an exacting and very specifically skill based game so messing with the purposeful balance of its save points, etc. absolutely makes it a lesser experience in my book. Even more so with the second game as the Sigma version of that makes significant changes to enemy counts and overall challenge and well, I dislike it immensely. I would be less chaffed if this release included both versions as selectable but I’m pretty sure Microsoft published the original versions of 1 and 2 and maintain the rights to those editions.

Jeff is right though. The Xbox backwards compatibility options here make this collection sort of meaningless. Black on the One X or Series X is /superb/. OG Ninja Gaiden 2 is standard BC and Ninja Gaiden 3 is garbage. Feel free to part ways as needed....

• 1 month later...

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2's Code Has Been Lost, So Don't Expect a Ninja Gaiden Black Remaster

Joe Skrebels, writing for IGN:

The Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection team was "unable to salvage" code for the original versions of Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, meaning it had to include the newer Sigma versions of those games. That also means that we'll likely never see new versions of Ninja Gaiden Black or Ninja Gaiden 2 outside of their original Xbox home.

Speaking to IGN, head of Team Ninja Fumihiko Yasuda explained the choice of the Sigma editions in Master Collection: "The reason we chose these 3 titles for the collection is because they represent the latest installments of the numbered series and they are also the most polished versions featuring many additional modes and costumes. Furthermore, when we worked on Sigma and Sigma 2, we went and collected as much of that data as possible and organized it. And since we could fully utilize this data, Sigma and Sigma 2 became clear choices for this collection.

"However, we were unable to salvage the varying assortment of data we had left from Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2. And for that very reason, we currently don't have any plans of remastering Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 on non-Xbox platforms."

Well, that certainly sucks the big one.

I'm very glad to have Ninja Gaiden Black and the original version of Ninja Gaiden 2 on Xbox. If you're looking to buy this collections, spend the money and get those versions instead -- unless you're on PlayStation or Switch, in which case you have no choice.

17 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I'm sure it's in someone's laptop..... I kid you not, one time we had to call a guy that had just left his position... and thankfully he had a copy of the code he had delivered to a customer still in his laptop.

I really wonder how long this is going to be a problem for.  At first, early 2000s surprised me, since source control was definitely a thing then, although it definitely wasn't great.  I'd run into Visual SourceSafe for sure, but Git and SVN were still a few years off. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

I really wonder how long this is going to be a problem for.  At first, early 2000s surprised me, since source control was definitely a thing then, although it definitely wasn't great.  I'd run into Visual SourceSafe for sure, but Git and SVN were still a few years off. 

I was surprised that the same thing happened with Silent Hill 2 code.  I mean full production houses not even backing up the final release code?

In the case I mentioned, it was basically due to that group being a set of essentially researchy/scientists forced to churn out some type of production code and no one bother to train them on the basics of software development. The working model as we found out was “let me zip the changes i just did in my laptop that fixes that one issue you told me over the phone/email”. No idea about coordinating a release much less “checking in” code - and I’m talking 2010ish here - git was already out in full force.