LCVG

Splatoon 3 Announced for Switch (2022)

Romier S

• Romier S changed the title to Splatoon 3 Announced for Switch (2022)
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Digital Foundry has a quick preview video on the game’s performance.

This isn’t the full review, based on the final release, but it looks really good in terms of visual quality and performance. It’s not drastically different from Splatoon 2, but it’s still a solid-looking title.

There is a preview event happening this weekend. Unfortunately, I will be out of town, so I won’t be able to check it out. 😕

• 1 month later...

I’ve been meaning to post this, but I haven’t had the time until now. I finished the single-player campaign for Splatoon 3 this past week. I’ve also played a fair amount of the online multiplayer now. So, I figured I might as well post some quick thoughts on both for those who might be interested.

Single Player Campaign

Based on what I seen and read, this element of the series has improved with each installment. I can’t compare this one to the first game since I never played it, but I can compare it to Splatoon 2 and its DLC expansion. Of the two campaigns I’ve played, I prefer this one. In the second game, it feels more like an afterthought. In this one, it’s fleshed out enough to make it worth playing on its own — maybe even at its full retail price. It’s not super-long or challenging, and it can probably be finished by most of us here in less than 10 hours. Still, it offers enough variety challenge to make it worth playing.

The campaign takes place in an overworld map that is split into six “sites” — basically islands surrounding a rocket launchpad that you need to eventually reach. On each island are a dozen or so kettles that act as portals to each level. Each level requires the player to complete a certain challenge using a particular weapon set. Sometimes the challenge is as simple as defeat the enemies to reach the goal. Others can be far trickier. In one level, for instance, you can’t touch any enemy ink or you automatically fail. The worst, for me, were the levels that require you to shoot targets while riding a grind rail. I can’t tell you how many times I died trying to beat a couple of those levels.

One benefit of playing the campaign is that it forces you to use most of the different weapon types found in the game. In that sense, it sort of acts like a tutorial for the multiplayer, giving you a chance to learn what each weapon can do and how it works. This is especially true with some of the new weapons introduced in this third installment. I probably wouldn’t have any interest in the bow caster weapon, had I not had a chance to use it in the campaign.

I was also impressed by the improvements made to the overworld in this game. In Spaltoon 2, the overworld is mostly a glorified menu, letting you go from one level to the next. Here, there are actually things to do, secrets to uncover. None of it is too hard to find, mind you, but it does offer something more interesting to do in between levels.

Online Multiplayer

Now that I’ve completed the campaign, this is probably what I will spend most of my time doing when I go back to this game. Overall, it’s very similar to Splatoon 2, just with some new levels and weapons. I pretty much spend all my time doing regular battles where the goal is to ink the most turf to win. This mode is as fun as ever. However, I do think that it’s a bit more challenging right now because all the best Splatoon players are playing it at the moment, so I’m not doing nearly as well as I did when I started playing Splatoon 2 earlier this year. 

I know that some folks have complained about connectivity problems as well. I have had a few instances were I wasn’t able to connect to a game or a game was ended early due to someone dropping out. However, I’ve mostly had good luck with most matches connecting without a hitch. I have noticed that at the moment, it seems like players cycle in and out of matches more often. With Splatoon 2, I noticed that I could play several matches in a row with the same players (or even most of the same players). In Splatoon 3, it feels like every match hooks you up with a different set of players.

Conclusion

Overall, I am glad I bought this game, and have been really enjoying it since launch. If you played and enjoyed the previous games, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about here. It’s very similar to what you already know. For those new to the franchise, this is a good place to jump in. You don’t need to have played the previous games to enjoy this one, and there is enough single-player content to make it a worthwhile purchase, even if you don’t have any interest in the online portion.

That said, it you do have a Nintendo Switch Online membership, I would give the multiplayer a go. It surprisingly fun and addictive, even for a grump like me who doesn’t usually enjoy playing with other people.