LCVG

PlayStation Announces Next Gen VR System for PS5

JFo

Presumably this would be inside-out tracking as well?  Given that they're talking up a new controller, what are the odds that it's possible to run this standalone for wireless games, and tethered for higher end stuff?  Basically, a Sony-branded Oculus Quest with Link capability? 

Just now, ChrisBardon said:

Given that they're talking up a new controller, what are the odds that it's possible to run this standalone for wireless games, and tethered for higher end stuff?  Basically, a Sony-branded Oculus Quest with Link capability? 

Since they mention that it will have a corded connection..... zero chance?

It’ll probably have inside out tracking to avoid having to use a camera, but I doubt there would be stuff inside to actually run games without a PS5.

I’m excited that they’re talking about it, and glad to hear that they are using what they’ve learned to improve the tracking and controllers. I loved my PSVR but the tracking and move controllers was the worst thing about it. 

An updated Sony headset with their brilliant halo system combined with inside out tracking, new high-resolution / high refresh displays and new hand tracking controllers with some of the tech from the dualsense 5 = that’s got awesome written all over it :)

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

Since they mention that it will have a corded connection..... zero chance?

I saw the mention of the corded connection, but that doesn't preclude a hybrid.  I don't think they'd do it, but it'd be an interesting path for a console maker to take (using a console to drive higher fidelity VR experiences, while still allowing mobile VR at lower quality). 

Glad to see that they're interested in more VR though! 

Honestly, I’m mostly excited that they are officially acknowledging its existence instead of being somewhat coy about it. 

I’m not sure what my desire for this will be in the end. I loved my PSVR, but I don’t use it much anymore. There are a few reasons why, but I think the biggest one is that the novelty of VR has worn off a bit. Where once it felt like I was in another world, now it feels more like I’m just strapping a screen to my head. It’s still a very cool experience, but it’s almost just a normal one now. 

I still feel like I’ll want it (I still want a Quest), but I don’t know how much. 

• 4 weeks later...

First details on the new controller:

The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

• Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.
  • Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.
  • Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.
  • Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.
  •  Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

More pictures and details at the link. It looks like a big improvement over the Move controllers used on the previous gen PSVR.

I was a bit surprised Sony announced its next gen VR system so early in the gen but given that it was fairly generalized, I “got” it but man, I’m really rather surprised we’re getting full on controller details with specs/designs right out if the gate! It seems like an amalgamation of the Valve Index and Quest 2 controller and I’m good with that.

Yeah, those look like VR controllers.  Given the positive feedback around the haptics in the dualsense, I've got high hopes for these.  Also, having Sony back in will likely be a second boost for VR software, which could use another wave of strong games. 

It's perhaps worth repeating from the PS+ thread that a number of PS VR titles (Moss, Astro Bot, Paper Beast, and PSVR compatible Thumper and Rez) will be available for free as part of the Play at Home handouts from the 25th of March.

Certainly good for those of us who skipped the first gen PSVR to stock up on some titles for future reference. 

I assumed that we’d be getting controllers like this, but I am glad to have it confirmed!  I was a little worried they would skip the finger tracking, but am glad to see it is included. 

3 hours ago, JFo said:

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

So this pretty much confirms inside out tracking as well, which is great. 

I really really hope now that the headset and controllers will also work on a PC without too much hassle. It would be great to have one headset that can work on both systems. Since there isn’t a proprietary camera and breakout box involved this time, I hope this will be the case. 

Man the controllers look good and the description does imply inside out tracking so that’s excellent. I too would love if this was USB-C + HDMI and could work on both PC & PS5 - that would be the perfect headset. 

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

I really really hope now that the headset and controllers will also work on a PC without too much hassle. It would be great to have one headset that can work on both systems. Since there isn’t a proprietary camera and breakout box involved this time, I hope this will be the case. 

Amen! The PC VR headset space evolves too rapidly. You have to buy a new headset every year to stay current.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...