LCVG

Logitech Ending Harmony Remote Product Line

JFo

I've seen the Sofabaton mentioned on various forums since the Logitech news broken and I began researching alternatives. 

http://www.sofabaton.com

It's only IR based as far as I can tell, by which I mean no hub, which doesn't bother me as my components are not hidden in a cabinet, and it does allow for macro inputs which is of more interest to me. They don't seem to be easily available in the UK tough one can be imported via Amazon Global for around £70. That would probably do me for now, and if I can get the the point of having a receiver and proper home cinema set up again then I might look deeper into the Roomie Remote app and pairing it with an iPad mini (the Roomie seems to have really nice Plex support too allowing you to access you library from the remote app, but there are still too many factors in the way of my going down the Plex rabbit hole again). 

2 hours ago, Magness said:

Fair warning - the Harmony desktop software for Mac is 32bit only so make sure you have a Windows backup just in case...

This is sort of true. Logitech did release a version of the software that was compatible with 64-bit systems. However, it was based off an older version of the software. It will get the job done if you still have an older remote, but it’s not ideal.

I think the desktop software was in the process of being replaced by mobile device Harmony apps as that’s what the Hub and Companion used for my friend when setting it up. Regardless, it’s lame and I LOVE the One remote I have but, it’s already out of date with several devices so I’ll need something soonish 😕

2 hours ago, JFo said:

Logitech did release a version of the software that was compatible with 64-bit systems. However, it was based off an older version of the software. It will get the job done if you still have an older remote, but it’s not ideal.

True x I forgot about that. When I tried the re-released app it would not load my profile and I couldn’t sign in so could not load my devices and required the remote to be setup as new. Not a problem if you were setting up as new anyway though so that may be a viable way to keep a One around. 

Dang. I'm still using my One Ultimate with hub and a couple IR blasters and it's great. I guess the only option is the really expensive stuff that installers use, but that stuff is way too setup-intensive for my purposes. May buy an Elite to old me over for the next 10 years.