LCVG

Xbox + Bethesda E3 2021 - June 13th

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/05/26/join-us-for-the-xbox-and-bethesda-games-showcase/

Today, we are thrilled to announce the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase will stream on Sunday, June 13 at 10:00 a.m. PT. The show will be focused on games from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and many game creators from our partners around the world.

You’ve told us how excited you are about welcoming Bethesda into the Xbox family, so we know you’re going to want a front-row seat to the Xbox & Bethesda Games showcase – a 90-minute show packed with everything you want to know about the epic gaming lineup coming out of this partnership, the incredible games coming to Xbox this holiday, upcoming releases on Xbox Game Pass, and more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really rooting for the Xbox team today. I hope they can turn around the Halo situation in the eyes of fans and critics, and it would certainly be nice if they have some exclusives that might end up coming a little sooner than we're expecting. It'll be interesting to see whether the Bethesda slate can take some of the weight of expectation off of other MS studios being so early in development on a lot previously announced titles that are still some way off.

Also a new Forza Horizon would be nice. :) 

9 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

if anyone asks, is it OK if I tell them you went fishing, to the shooting range, or something more manly and less embarrassing?

lol, sure.

Thankfully, my plans changed. The guy agreed to ship so that saves me a 2 hour drive and I should be around for the show.

The game in question is a complete copy of Strider 2 on the PSX.

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Also a new Forza Horizon would be nice. :) 

I fully expect this.

And I’m sure Halo will look great. But will anyone outside of Halo fans care? I know my kids and their friends do not. Halo has a big battle to maintain relevance outside the hardcore, I think anyway.

I would be very surprised if MS doesn’t nail this show. I’m expecting it to be great. Hopefully, we finally see Starfield. It just better not turn out to be Fallout/Skyrim in space. That would be such a let down for me personally. 

I’ll try to catch some of the show on my lunch.

I rewatched the Microsoft conference this morning with the My Life in Gaming guys reactions along with John over at DF. Honestly, it was a really solid show, overall. I really liked the pace. It was very much a "Here's games...go enjoy!" type of presentation and I dug that. I have quibbles with the amount of basic "fluff" trailers being shown for some of the heavy hitters as I wanted more gameplay level stuff (especially for Redfall, Halo and Starfield) but release schedules are what they are. 

"Replaced" won the show for me as the game I want the most. Horizon 5 was just beautiful to behold and may finally drive me to the series (pun intended). The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 presentation was another killer title that showed well (all showed gameplay so its not a surprise why I liked them the most). I didn't like the bouncing around for the Horizon presentation but I'm told its what fans expect so fair enough on that front. There were also a ton of smaller console launch exclusive or outright exclusive indie games that really ticked some boxes for me. Somerville, Replaced, Atomic Heart, etc. Oh and the Doom Eternal upgrade was very much appreciated!

It was also nice to see announcements for the new Plague Tale even if it was early. Same goes for Contraband and Outer Worlds 2 even if they could just as easily have been tweet for all the content they have in them. Yes, Outer Worlds 2 was funny but still.:)

I'm not going to mince words about Halo Infinite. I expected much more after the initial showing went belly up. I wanted more than just a trailer and it was the perfect event to spend some time showing off the work the team has done in the time since they delayed the game. I don't care about Halo multiplayer at all. For those that do, great but it seems even Microsoft has bought into the notion that Halo is no longer a marquee franchise as they left covering it to the middle of their E3 presentation with little more than another story tease for a game that releases in the next 5 months (likely). I think back to the Halo 2 reveal and its crazy to see how far the IP has fallen off since those days. This should have been the crown jewel of the event. I want to WANT this game. I really do but its left me very cold.

My only other disappointment is in the complete lack of any mention of their backwards compatibility program. As I've said before, FPS Boost is great but I bought an Xbox Series X with the promise of Microsoft respecting their legacy and bringing more games to their new platform. Including a wealth of classics on the original Xbox in enhanced form. That is of HUGE interest to me as an Xbox owner and complete silence on it is a definite disappointment. 

Regardless, this was Microsoft's best show in years. I think next year is going to be even better. It looks like 2022 is going to finally see all of the studio acquisitions and work that Microsoft have done on the first party front finally start to bear fruit. It's impressive that the show was as good as it was and we still did not see the new Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.  The future is bright for Microsoft and obviously Game Pass is a tremendous value that is impossible to overlook. Especially for gamers on a budget or just outright cheap asses like @dogbert (:D). Overall, good stuff! Easily the best showcase in all of E3 though that undersells it a bit considering the quality of what else we've seen.

35 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm not going to mince words about Halo Infinite. I expected much more after the initial showing went belly up. I wanted more than just a trailer and it was the perfect event to spend some time showing off the work the team has done in the time since they delayed the game.

I agree, I would have liked to have seen more than a story trailer. My one hope is that Microsoft shows off more of the game in detail, including the campaign, in a Sony State of Play-like presentation shortly before it launches.

I don't care about Halo multiplayer at all. For those that do, great…

Yeah, you may not care, but a lot of people do (like you said). For the record, I don’t care either, but I accept that it’s a big part of the package for this series. I think it’s important for 343 and Microsoft to talk about it now since last year’s focus was on the single-player campaign. And yes, I get that you are talking about what mattered to you personally, so you don’t need to write a 500 words explaining it to me. 😉

…but it seems even Microsoft has bought into the notion that Halo is no longer a marquee franchise as they left covering it to the middle of their E3 presentation with little more than another story tease for a game that releases in the next 5 months (likely). I want to WANT this game.

I don’t think I agree with this at all. I looked and Microsoft spent a good seven (7) minutes talking about this game, which is way more time than any other game received, aside from Forza Horizon 5, which had both a reveal trailer and a gameplay overview. If Microsoft did not see it as a marquee franchise, I don’t think they would have given it that much time in the presentation.

Yeah, it was shoved smack dab into the middle, but I think it made sense for it to be there. It’s not a new thing that people haven’t seen before, so you can’t surprise them with it. Starting the show with the highly-anticipated Starfield made a lot of sense as did ending it with Redfall, another new IP from a Bethesda studio.

48 minutes ago, JFo said:

Yeah, it was shoved smack dab into the middle, but I think it made sense for it to be there. It’s not a new thing that people haven’t seen before, so you can’t surprise them with it. Starting the show with the highly-anticipated Starfield made a lot of sense as did ending it with Redfall, another new IP from a Bethesda studio.

This is where you and I disagree completely and where I have issues with Microsoft’s approach for this game. One game is you’re supposed “marquee” franchise and it releases THIS year. The other is a new IP announced and buoyed with a CG trailer that tells us nothing about the game whatsoever. It’s fluff. I love Arkane and I’m eager to see more of Redfall but it’s fluff and it’s likely not coming until 2023. That’s if we’re arguing about placement. However,  give me that Halo 2 moment. Whether it’s in the middle or end is inconsequential, really. It’s more so than the fact that it was relegated to another story teaser trailer that showed no actual gameplay that happened to be in the middle of the show. A big fat blah to that. 

For the record, I didn’t mind/care about multiplayer being covered. I expected it. It’s fucking Halo. Of course multiplayer was going to be shown/discussed. I explained it in less than 50 words.:D

Just for clarity and to help reinforce my point, @JFo take a look at the Halo 5 showcase at E3 2015 (the game released October of that year). I’m not a big fan of the game but this is a great presentation. Opening story teaser, plenty of gameplay and a nice sizzle reel to end it. This is what I was hoping to see for Infinite.

To be entirely fair, we live in a different world where we have things like State of Play and Directs so this isn’t the only time to show the game off as you said, Jeff but it stood out to me as a disappointment in an otherwise good showing.

I kind of agree with Romier. It seems like they completely changed whatever the original vision was for this game and just decided to make an old school Halo game that will appeal to the hardcore fans. I mean they highlighted capture the flag after all. And I heard genuine excitement from people that grew up on that, which is great for those fans. It won’t bring Halo back to the prominence it once had though. Which is fine. People will still enjoy it. I just thought originally that is what MS had intended, which doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

And did I miss something? The first reveal, it almost sounded like they were going for a Destiny type game, talking about Halo as a platform for years to come. But I didn’t see any mention of that with this newest reveal. It looked like a pretty straightforward single player story, from the little bit they showed anyway.

My thoughts on Halo, as I wrote in the Infinite thread, are that I really do think they're being deliberately cautious in hyping up the campaign, if for no other reason than to avoid the embarrassment of last year. I can't blame them if that's the case. While the negative counterargument would be to assume it's simply not going to be that good and that's why they didn't really re-reveal it in any grand and confident fashion, I think there's something to be said for keeping it on the down low and potentially releasing something that ends up surprising people in the end. That would be lovely for everyone, but we'll just have to wait and see.