LCVG

Early PSP pricing rumors

The Daisy

At that price it better include a game or 2 and whatever extra cabling accessories might need. That is way to expensive, I don't care how "awesome" it might end up being. Watch nintendo come out with another souped up gameboy then and make it come in at 150 and blow sony out of the water.

I'm going to throw out an official guess and say the PSP will launch in the US at a 299.99 price point, possibly 249.99 depending on manufacturing costs. Sony has made it clear the PSP is not being released as direct competition for the GBA so we'll have to wait and see how the final machine turns out before making final judgement on value.

Given the design and looks of the unit, I think they're going after Apple and the iPod and forgetting about Nintendo and the GBA.

If Apple can own the MP3 market with a $299 starting cost (now $249 with the mini), Sony probably thinks they can own the portable gaming market with an equally sexy unit.

Sony has made it clear the PSP is not being released as direct competition for the GBA

Whether sony is shooting for nintendo and GBA or not is not relevent. The public will see 2 portable game systems out there. One at $99 and one at $250+ (maybe). Guess which one will be slammed?

The public will see 2 portable game systems out there. One at $99 and one at $250+ (maybe). Guess which one will be slammed?

The public aleady sees more than one portable gaming platform out there. The other options is an absolute failure because its a horribly designed piece of equipment whose value does no justify the cost (The Ngage). Sony's machine is a completely different monster that has appeal as a portable movie player, MP3 and possibly functionality as a phone in a well designed piece of machine (tentative). Not too mention its capabilities as a gaming machine have the possibility of being above and beyond anything available on the market as of right now. If the PSP is priced properly for the market it is aiming for and is able to breakthrough to that wider audience it sure as hell is relevant.

You make a good point, Romier, but I still think the comparison to the GBA is the primary one that potential customers are going to make. Speaking for myself, I know I'm not going to look at it as the GBA versus a sexy new device that I can play music, movies, and games on. I'm going to look at it as the GBA versus another portable gaming machine that also does some other stuff, but at three or four times the price. Phone capability is nice, but look how quickly telephone technology is moving now! Buy a state of the art phone today, in six months it will be old hat, and in a year you won't even be able to find accessories for it. MP3 technology is also sweet, but I have to think that anyone who would pony up 3 bills for an MP3 player probably already has an iPod or something similar. I just think this is a case of cramming too much stuff into one unit and ending up with something way overpriced as a result.

I have recently fallen in love with portable gaming, I have a GBA and a GBA-SP now, and I was really looking forward to the PSP, but if it launches anywhere near that price point then I'll skip it. And if an avid gamer with a decent income and love of electronic devices like myself won't pony up for it, who exactly are they shooting for? At that price it sure as hell ain't the Pokemon crowd that propelled the GBA to such heights!

With Sony talking about this price point, it really has me wondering about what Nintendo's next device will be.

I just keep thinking it will be another portable device... I just can't see them making a multi-function device like this, since they keep saying that they just want to be a gaming company.

Glen

Count me in among those who think that $299 or more is too much to pay for a portable gaming device.

You can also count me in among those who see the PSP is indeed a direct competitor to the GBA regardless of price-point. Whether or not Sony plans to market this thing as such to the general public is irrelevant. The fact is it will carry the Playstation moniker, a name that is now synonymous with video games. As such, it will be seen primarily as a portable gaming device even though it may be able do a number of other nifty things.

Nintendo has been very smart with their GameBoy, as is evidence by their total domination of the handheld market. They?ve been able to make and sell a portable device that is cheap and works well enough to give players a good gaming experience on the go. The fact that it is so inexpensive is partly responsible for its success. We know that people are will to spend between $200 and $300 for a home console, but I suspect that they will not spend as much on a handheld. If Sony plans to sell the PSP for that much money at first, it better make sure that its additional features are as enticing as the DVD player was on the PS2 when it first came out. Otherwise, I doubt that it will attain the level of success Sony undoubtedly hopes to achieve.

Still, all this talk and speculation for a product that hasn?t been officially unveiled yet! I?ll wait until we get some pictures before I say any more.