LCVG

Masters of the Universe: Revelation

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What is this exactly? A two part movie? A mini series? 

Looks it is a two part/two season series with the first 5 episodes releasing on July 23. 

Kevin Smith is also involved with this as a producer/creator. If that means anything to anyone (good or bad).

It takes place after the original animated series. 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Unmistakably Hamill voicing Skeletor. That's great.

That voice is literally the perfect Skeletor voice. It reminds you of the original Skeletor voice, but doesn’t come off as being quite as silly or camp. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are things I agree with in that review. The bait and switch is slippery and I can see how it would upset folks but in the end, it serves the story pretty well. The forced pandering is just that. If you’re gonna do it, don’t wink. Just do it or else it comes off forced. I was cool with it but that wink wink shit is what makes it feel forced.

Otherwise, the notion that He-Man should have been “bloody and gory and like Castlevania” cause that’s all 30+ year old men want belongs in the pantheon of stupid fucking internet takes as far as I’m concerned. Make no mistake, this is still a 30 minute toy commercial and there’s nothing wrong with this show being a modern version of what you imagined that 80’s cartoon was. 

The overall writing on the show could/should be improved to provide a higher level of maturity without edgelord violence. That was my biggest complaint throughout. There’s a bit too much homage on the writing/dialogue front and it’s a bit too high a level of cringe for me. Lena Headey is pretty great as Evil-Lyn though. If there’s a season 2, folks will no doubt be happy that at least one of the two leads are likely front and center.:)

I have enjoyed it so far, and its only half the first batch of episodes , so who knows where it is going to go. The moment it was announced as a continuation of the 80’s series I knew it would have some campiness to it. its nowhere near as bad as the actual 80s show. Try and watch that again sometime. 

I would have liked to see a reboot like Voltron had (that was awesome), but its not what they decided.

15 hours ago, Romier S said:

Otherwise, the notion that He-Man should have been “bloody and gory and like Castlevania” cause that’s all 30+ year old men want belongs in the pantheon of stupid fucking internet takes as far as I’m concerned. Make no mistake, this is still a 30 minute toy commercial and there’s nothing wrong with this show being a modern version of what you imagined that 80’s cartoon was. 

She convinced me otherwise. I didn't hate the show but that idea sounds way more interesting than what I watched. Kevin Smith said the show was targeted to fans of the original and I think that would have played out better with that demo in mind. Though I know for sure they'd prefer a wide audience if they can get it, I'm now doubting they'll actually get passionate new fans with this. 

As far as being a toy commercial, that certainly feels supplementary this time around rather than being the main point like the original. And unless the show takes off with kids and the mainstream, the few toys they do have out will be bought by 40 year olds as well. 

43 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

She convinced me otherwise. I didn't hate the show but that idea sounds way more interesting than what I watched. Kevin Smith said the show was targeted to fans of the original and I think that would have played out better with that demo in mind. Though I know for sure they'd prefer a wide audience if they can get it, I'm now doubting they'll actually get passionate new fans with this. 

Not sure how more blood and gore makes things interesting or anymore "targeted to the fans" though. Eternian hell looking like a Diablo ripoff is interesting and more true to the original? To each their own, I guess but I completely disagree. If you didn't like the show, then fair enough. There are plenty of elements I can see as problematic (the writing, the early bait and switch with Teela, some of character choices, etc.) that would lead you there. However, if what folks want is for the show to be more like Castlevania, then go watch Castlevania. That's not remotely He-Man to me. The show can find a better balance of camp and improved writing without the need to shift to such an extreme tonally. You know, the tone that the supposed fans of the original fell in love with.....

I mean, a show with a debut trailer featuring "Holding Out for A Hero" by Bonnie Tyler and that is a direct sequel to the original 80's cartoon upset fans because its tone wasn't dark enough? Alrighty then. :D

Let me be clear that Castlevania He-Man isn't necessarily what I wanted it to be, what she described just instantly sounded more interesting after what I'd just watched. It'd be a drastic departure, yes. Didn't mean to get off on a tangent about that. I loved the vibe in that first trailer.

28 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Let me be clear that Castlevania He-Man isn't necessarily what I wanted it to be, what she described just instantly sounded more interesting after what I'd just watched. It'd be a drastic departure, yes. Didn't mean to get off on a tangent about that. I loved the vibe in that first trailer.

Understood. I loved the vibe of that trailer, too but perhaps for different reasons. Hopefully the next season clicks more for you and to be clear, I get where you’re coming from on wanting something a bit more mature.

11 hours ago, Romier S said:

Understood. I loved the vibe of that trailer, too but perhaps for different reasons. Hopefully the next season clicks more for you and to be clear, I get where you’re coming from on wanting something a bit more mature.

Im definitely in for season 2 if only for 

Spoiler

Mega Skeletor

and to see where that goes. And I'm not even sure if I need it to be more mature. It's hard to explain where I felt it was lacking I think.