LCVG

Forza Horizon 5 [Xbox/PC] - Nov 9th 2021

• 1 month later...

I missed this when it came out a couple weeks ago, but here is a list of the cars featured in Forza Horizon 5.

By no means is the list complete, of course, more cars will be added to the list both before and after the launch.

I admit, one thing I’m not looking forward to when starting the new game is having to rebuild my car collection. I’m up to 596 cars now in FH4, and it will be sad to lose some of my old favorites in the process. ☹️

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of hands-on impressions of the opening of the game are making the rounds today. Here’s an interesting note from the preview over at Polygon:

“The other things that we’ve done in this title, which are almost a little counterintuitive, is that we’ve made some huge investments into the physical performance of our suspension and braking,” Brown said. “In both cases, we’ve strived to make them behave more authentically. So the brakes now, rather than being kind of on/off, there’s a much more gradual grip of the discs on the brake. So you can really adjust as you’re squeezing that trigger. It’s a much more gradual application of braking.”

Driving with an Xbox Elite Series 2 controller (on standard settings), I can attest to the better feel in the improved braking; moreover, I can attest to the simulation steering setting again being the best way to draw out this feature. The binary on/off braking Brown described from past Horizons leads to a lot of feathering, flick-steering, and other sharp, minute movements common to arcade racing, in my experience. The car becomes hyper-responsive as a result. Forza Horizon 5’s more lifelike steering, braking, and suspension let me keep my hands on the wheel and stay more involved in a turn, especially the hairpins and square rights that demand extra technique at speed.

I know exactly what they’re talking about here. You can feel it, especially in the faster cars, that the braking has been very all-or-nothing. You hit the brakes very slightly, and the car feels like it’s trying to come to a complete stop, rather than just slowing down. I’ll be very interested in experiencing this when the game finally ships.

Also, I have not watched all of it yet, but here is the Easy Allies preview in which Bloodworth gives his initial impressions:

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JFo said:

Jason Sudeikis Happy Dance GIF by Apple TV

I have this pre-installed on my Series X right now, and I purchased the Premium Add-Ons Bundle the other day. We are set to go on Friday. Can't wait!

I have never bought DLC for a game on Gamepass or PS+, not wanting to spend money on a game I do not own. But I have $40 in Rewards and seriously considering using it on the premium edition as this is one of the few games I’m excited about this holiday.

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

I have never bought DLC for a game on Gamepass or PS+, not wanting to spend money on a game I do not own. But I have $40 in Rewards and seriously considering using it on the premium edition as this is one of the few games I’m excited about this holiday.

One thing to consider: When Forza Motorsport 7 was pulled from digital storefronts a couple months ago, anyone who bought DLC for it, but didn't own it because they played it on Game Pass, received a token they could redeem for a copy of the game proper:

For any Xbox Game Pass players who previously purchased DLC for the game, but not the game itself, we have good news! You will receive a token for the game through the Xbox Message Center so that you can continue playing Forza Motorsport 7. Token distribution will be through August 2. However, if after that date you have not received your token, please contact Xbox Support here. (Unused tokens will expire on September 15, 2023.)

I’ve been trying and failing to understand the different DLC options - other than being able to play this weekend (which might not happen anyway) is there much to care about in the Premium Upgrade beyond the two expansions, which are cheaper on their own? 

44 minutes ago, iainl said:

I’ve been trying and failing to understand the different DLC options - other than being able to play this weekend (which might not happen anyway) is there much to care about in the Premium Upgrade beyond the two expansions, which are cheaper on their own? 

Well, you get the Car Pass. Here's what that is, per the Xbox website:

Get 42 extra cars at one low price! The Car Pass will deliver 34 new cars to your game weekly, one per week. As a bonus, you’ll also receive 8 Formula Drift Cars to get you started.    All cars included in the Car Pass grant you a one-time only, free addition of each car to your game garage, with no additional in-game credit cost. 

You also get the VIP membership, which grants you lots of extra goodies within the game:

Forza Horizon 5 VIP Membership features exclusive rewards that give your game a boost and make you stand out at the Horizon Festival. VIPs receive 3 Exclusive Forza Edition cars, Crown Flair, Vanity Items, Emote and Car Horn, gift Player House, 2x Credit race rewards, weekly bonus Super Wheelspins, and more. 

It may sound lame, but trust me, it's worth it. You'll accumulate credits in game much faster, and those weekly Super Wheelspins are a great way to build up money and win cars.

Finally, you get the Welcome Pack, which gives you a few more in-game goodies:

Kick-start your Ultimate Horizon Adventure with the Forza Horizon 5 Welcome Pack! Included are 5 special pre-tuned cars, a Player House and a one-time grant to own any car available from the game’s Autoshow. Also included are 3 one-time grants for any Common or Rare clothing item

Basically, you get a bunch of extra in-game goodies and bonuses. I find them to be worth getting, just because I like accumulating a lot of cars as quickly as possible. If that's not your thing, I understand. Given the quality of the past expansions, I would definitely recommend you get those if you plan on playing them when they come out.

It looks like the review embargo is up, and surprise surprise, it's really good. As I type this, the MetaCritic score sits at 91.

IGN gave it a 10/10 (Masterpiece) saying:

Forza Horizon 5 is a deep and nuanced car nirvana for revheads and auto geeks to endlessly collect, tinker, and experiment. It’s also an extremely accessible buffet of racing spectacle open to everyone, from Deluxe Edition diehards to Game Pass nomads – no matter their driving skill or mechanical knowledge. It’s an occasionally goofy but always earnest Valentine to Mexico’s world-famous culture, and a romantic ode to the magic of road-tripping through postcard-perfect vacation vistas. It’s a long haul, MMO-inspired racer that’s exploding with more races, activities, and event types than can comfortably fit on some parts of the map – and yet it still always feels relaxed rather than daunting. It never locks you into something you don’t want to do and steadily rewards you for however you choose to play it. It looks beautiful, it sounds magnificent, and it is glorious to play. Yes, Forza Horizon 5 is a lot of things. Above all, however, it is the result of a racing studio at the peak of its craft and the best open-world racing game I’ve ever played.

GameSpot gave it a 9/10:

In this way, Forza Horizon 5 is another meaningful evolution of the series as opposed to a reinvention, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a case of more of the same. Even when it is familiar, Forza Horizon 5 makes small, but thoughtful changes to its established blueprint that hones in on the people behind the cars in a way that the franchise has previously just glossed over. Its alterations to progression are welcome, too, letting you focus on the events that you love while also giving you even more event types to make effective use of the varied and fun map that has been designed around Mexico's best hits. It's not going to convince you to give it a go if Forza Horizon's brand of racing hasn't done it for you in the past, but Forza Horizon 5 still stands head and shoulders above anything else in the genre.

And GameInformer gave it a 9.5 out of 10:

At every turn, Forza Horizon 5 impresses in ways few games have. From the first mile, I was on the edge of my seat. With so much to do in such a relentlessly gorgeous world, I suspect it won’t be long before I get the itch to jump back into the driver’s seat of my favorite car. Even amidst a competitive racing field, Forza Horizon 5 is a finely tuned supercar.

Me, right now:

Train Hype GIF

2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm still trying to remain on media blackout. What's the DF word on whether to go for the snazzy graphics 30fps option, or the 60fps performance mode?

60fps all the way. The gap on the Series X between the two is minimal at best. 60fps mode still shoots for 2160p but uses DRS with a low of 1600p which is more than acceptable. It reduces some quality settings but the differences are just not notable enough to sacrifice framerate.

Forza Horizon 5! It’s a Forza Horizon game!

New map, pretty trees, some new cars, similar handling, same controls, it’s more Horizon for anyone else that was a bit bored of the old maps. I really don’t know what else to say, apart from “the decision to still only have one white male avatar seems odd when they’re all getting assigned the same white British voice actor.” Let me play as a middle-aged balding guy, Playground. At least my bloke has Damon Hill white hair.