LCVG

Starfield Announced - Xbox Exclusive, Game Pass Day One

Romier S

• 2 years later...

Lots of rumors swirling about Starfields release date possibly being this year but folks in the know are killing that pretty quickly. It seems we won't see Bethesda's new opus until late 2022 at this point.

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm not sure I even remember the initial reveal being as far back as 2018. It seemed like such a recent announcement that I had assumed 2022/2023 anyway.

I assumed a later release date as well but as noted, lots of buzz about an upcoming announcement and much earlier "surprise" release.

Grubb and another insider said to not expect Hellblade 2 or Everwild at this years show either.

I’m not surprised. I think a lot of people thought they would pull a Fallout 4 with an announce and then release months later. And Everwild, I’ve seen talk about that which is just as crazy since I remember last year when they said they weren’t sure yet what the game was even going to be.

I would be surprised if we see any of the other big announcements such as Fable and Perfect Dark before 23-24

The only MS announcement for 2021 that seems remotely realistic for me is Forza Horizon 5, which is weird really since we've heard nothing official about it and you'd think we'd get Motorsport first, but for whatever reason I'm finding a lot of the Horizon rumours perfectly reasonable. So I really have no expectations this year beyond that and Halo. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. 

I'm very keen to see some actual gameplay of Starfield though.

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

The only MS announcement for 2021 that seems remotely realistic for me is Forza Horizon 5, which is weird really since we've heard nothing official about it and you'd think we'd get Motorsport first, but for whatever reason I'm finding a lot of the Horizon rumours perfectly reasonable. So I really have no expectations this year beyond that and Halo. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. 

I do think Psychonauts 2 is coming this year. Its also hitting the PS4 but I believe they will be releasing a Series X enhanced version that will likely function as an "exclusive" on Game Pass.

8 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I do think Psychonauts 2 is coming this year. Its also hitting the PS4 but I believe they will be releasing a Series X enhanced version that will likely function as an "exclusive" on Game Pass.

Yes, that sounds reasonable too.

Hopefully they have some surprises, and while neither are from MS Studios there's still The Gunk to look forward to, and I'm feeling really positive about The Ascent. We'll see if they've managed to secure any further third party exclusives. It wouldn't surprise me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Starfield Announced - Xbox Exclusive, Game Pass Day One

It is funny. While "Skyrim in space" is in some way what I expect, and in some way is what we "should" expect, the world of videogames has evolved a lot since Skyrim. So if Starfield feels like a Skyrim mod, I'll be a little disappointed. 

Inventory management is always a chore in these types of games and I hope that every RPG developer makes it a top priority to come up with the best management system ever! And there are a lot of fantastic open world games that have come out since Skyrim.  I hope Bethesda has been watching, listening, and playing the competition.

23 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

It is funny. While "Skyrim in space" is in some way what I expect, and in some way is what we "should" expect, the world of videogames has evolved a lot since Skyrim. So if Starfield feels like a Skyrim mod, I'll be a little disappointed. 

I'm going to give Todd the benefit of the doubt by saying his comparison is an oversimplified way of selling the game to the public. Skyrim was/is a massive hit for them and comparing it to their most well known and popular title is an easy "PR" win and likely doesn't speak to the actual gameplay or visual tone the game is looking to accomplish. However, Bethesda makes a specific type of game and I don't see them straying too far from what made them what they are.

I'm desperately hoping it leans heavy on the science of science fiction with regards to the little details like how you might manage your survival and your ship's operations, and I'd love to be able to hear all that launch sequence chatter nerdiness that we get in the teaser (it'd be no bad thing if they stole the kind of take off and docking procedure mechanics from Elite Dangerous as that does wonders for making you feel like you're fully in control of your ship when you have to radio in landing requests...etc). Elite also sells the reality that space travel is both beautiful, dangerous and that outer space itself is terrifyingly vast and I'd love to see that translate to Starfield too.

Bethesda published their first developer diary video today:

Obviously it's going to get into aliens, alien planets and combat, but I certainly need this to go off in directions not already explored by Mass Effect, Destiny...etc if it's going to really capture my attention. As with the teaser, the tone there in the dev diary is pushing many of the right buttons for me. Emphasis on exploration and an almost Star Trek like inspirational humanitarian angle to the whole thing gets me very excited.