LCVG

Somerville - Announced for Xbox/PC - from the creator of Limbo/Inside - Releasing November 15th, 2022 (Game Pass)

Romier S

• 1 year later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Somerville - Announced for Xbox/PC - from the creator of Limbo/Inside - Releasing November 15th, 2022 (Game Pass)
7 hours ago, Derrik Draven said:

Did anyone else get a weird “Half Life 2” vibe when playing Inside? I sure did. 

Actually yes - it did have kind of a City 17 vibe to it. The queues of people at the pseudo-bureaucratic booths and other subtle elements channeled that same feel for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started playing this last night. I’m not that far in so don’t really have a strong opinion on it yet, but I have some thoughts. 

There is certainly quite a bit here that is similar to Limbo and Inside. You are, most of the time, essentially moving from one side of the screen to the other (although from right to left this time!) without clarity on what you’re trying to accomplish (besides moving the the next scene).

”Why am I doing this?”, “Why am I going this way?”, “What did that just do?” are questions I asked myself throughout Limbo and Inside, and it is no different here. 

But there are also “What am I supposed to be doing?” questions, and not in the “what is the solution to this puzzle?” vein, but of the “I don’t know where I’m going or what I’m supposed to be doing” type. There is also what appears to be clues to something all over the place, and I have no idea if I’m just missing something important, or if I don’t have the knowledge I need yet (and I hate that feeling). 

The opening in particular probably could have done with a little more direction as it was a little more “open” than the game is now. In Limbo and Inside, you move forward. That’s all you can do. They don’t need to explain much else. This game, at least at the outset, is not like that and I didn’t know it was going to become that. 

Spoiler

Also, as a father of young children, controlling a toddler getting into trouble while his parents sleep was terrifying. I kept trying to wake them up. 

Also terrifying was the parents reaction when they wake up and find their kid stuck in a garbage can just being kind of “oh what a silly baby”. 

Part of the problem is there’s an opportunity for some more polish and maybe feed back or indication as to what can and cannot be interacted with. I’ve already had a number of experiences where I was not sure what to do, and it turned out there was an area/object that I had to interact with that I hadn’t don’t quite right yet. Compounding the frustration is that the character will behave in a way that looks like he is interacting with objects, but he isn’t. For example, if you think “maybe I can grab and climb up to that ledge”, when you walk up to the wall the ledge is under, the character will put his hands up in way that makes it look like he’s reaching up. If you’re pressing the action button at the same time, it’s not clear if he’s putting his hands up because he’s just near the wall, or trying to interact with something. It can make some scenes a pixel hunt to find your way through, and you start to question if there is something more to it when you can’t find the exact right spot. 

The character also seems to walk really slow or start to run with little rhyme or reason, he gets caught on objects, there are some jarring scene transitions that change the camera angle that could probably be smoothed out, and there was one puzzle where I was doing it “right”, but it just wasn’t working for some reason until I moved something to a slightly different location, which should have really not had any bearing on the puzzle. To be honest, I’m not convinced the “right” solution is how it’s actually supposed to be solved. 

These are all, I dunno, not just nitpicks, but also not dealbreakers. I’m anxious to keep playing the game and see where things go. 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, kelley said:

I’m going to need one of you to play this first and let me know if the dog dies. 

I can’t answer this yet, but I’ve been thinking about it as I play. There are a few times where it seems like I’ve left the dog behind, and then it just appears again out of nowhere though. 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, kelley said:

I’m going to need one of you to play this first and let me know if the dog dies.

Spoiler

What is life? What is death? What is survival? What if this life isn’t real? What if there are multiple dimensions with different versions of all of us?

What if the world ended in one of these dimensions? Would the life of a dog still be upsetting. 

I would say you’re ok though. You don’t like, see a dog get shot or anything like that