LCVG

Guardians of the Galaxy [PS5/PS4/XBOX/Switch/PC] from Square/Eidos Montreal - October 26th 2021

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Guardians of the Galaxy [PS5/PS4/XBOX/Switch/PC] from Square/Eidos Montreal - October 26th 2021
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed this from the linked page:

Currently, our various teams are working on the development of transition plans to ensure success and maintain the highest standards in the industry. In the next few weeks, the Montreal and Sherbrooke studios will be officially closed on Fridays, without changing the working conditions currently in place nor the salaries of employees, thus switching from the 40-hour week to 32-hour. 

I've seen the model where people work 4x10 hr (plus) days and are then off one day, but I don't know if this is as common.  Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.  I have a feeling that it's not going to change the amount of time people are working (not sure about game dev, but in tech in general people are "online" pretty much all the time), but if the expectation is clearly communicated and timelines adjusted accordingly, then it's a good precedent. 

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, dogbert said:

So this is out, goodish reviews, and looks to be a very linear, single player "rollercoaster" game. Anyone pick it up?

Maybe in a few weeks. I have Metroid Dread and Dark Anthology House of Ashes on the docket right now after I’m done with my Symphony replay. For once, I’m gonna skip a game until I can actually spend time with it. Its something I’m absolutely interested in though.

Giantbomb hated this game. But I watched a review where this guy adored the story while Giantbomb guy was revolted by it. Divisive this game is.

Although I don’t give much credence to GiantBomb, those guys are on another planet than me. Never agree with them.

Played the first two chapters. It’s wonderfully linear in an industry landscape where “big” and “open” are the order of the day. It’s a narrative driven, rollercoaster action game with absolutely gangbuster visuals and I really like what I’ve played thus far even if it feels like I’ve barely just started.

…….Yes, I bought it.

Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

The game that came the closest is Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy at No.2. This is the second Square Enix game based on Marvel IP after last year's The Avengers. Compared to that game, launch sales are 58% lower for Guardians. of course, Guardians of the Galaxy is a smaller game in scope and won't have the same financial expectations. It's also worth noting that digital data is not currently available. 63% of launch sales were on PS5, 19% on PS4 and 18% on Xbox.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, AlbertA said:

So apparently this IS a good game?

I’m on chapter 10 myself. It’s one of the best looking games to hit this year and it’s both extremely well written and well acted. This game does what Avengers tried to do which is to give us versions of these characters that are differentiated from their MCU counterparts without feeling like weird ripoffs. The combat is a blast, too. It opens up nicely as you progress through the game and it keeps things very lite-RPG so you’re never overwhelmed. I’m very happy I decided to grab the game and jump in. It seems like Avengers may have put folks off from giving this a chance - don’t make that mistake. This is a narrative driven, mostly (gloriously) linear single player action game and it’s damned good!

They must have paid a fortune for the music licensing rights, too.:)

All done. That was wonderful. It really was. From a story level, I legit enjoyed this more than both MCU films and it’s not even close. It’s a love letter to these characters and their comic book histories and if you’re only exposure to the Guardians is the MCU movies, then you’re in for a treat as you really get to know these characters inside and out throughout this 25+ hour adventure.

I’ll post some added thoughts later this morning but for the love of god, don’t ignore this game on account of Squares Avengers game. They are on two different planets in terms of gameplay/design. If you’re looking for an extremely story focused action/lite-RPG game with absolutely top notch art direction/technical visuals? You’ve found it here, folks. This is easily one of the best looking games of 2021.

Adding some final thoughts to my previous post, I suppose its worth discussing some criticisms that are worth leveling at the experience. I think the biggest of which is that the combat is not deep enough to sustain the games run time. It invariably starts to feel pretty repetitious as it goes on. Especially in its final chapters which are often loaded with a ton of combat encounters. This is exacerbated by the lack of enemy variety, too. There are pretty much three main factions you will face and it rarely variates. Thankfully, the story and characters will keep you engaged despite the repetition.

Along with that, the games economy like so many out there is pretty out of whack. You pick up both large and small components which are used to attain 15 perks for Star-Lord. The problem is that if you're being thorough, you will have gotten all of these perks by a little after the mid-game. By that point you can pretty much ignore the upgrade components if you choose and an already linear games becomes that much more linear as you can ignore some if not all of the optional exploration if you don't care about finding all of the outfits (which are pretty cool!).

The game also lacks polish and is in need of a few patches to correct a myriad of smaller issues. I had audio cutouts several times in my playthrough. Groot would lose his voice acting all together until I reloaded a checkpoint. I got stuck on certain geometry often enough to be annoying. The game is usually aware of this and the screen just goes black and you're spawned at your last unstuck place but from time to time I had to reload a checkpoint. Certain story segments will also not trigger from time to time requiring you to reload your last checkpoint to fix. More often than not, you don't lose much progress but its a combination of all of these little things that amounts to a game that needed a bit more time in the oven. This will no doubt be corrected with patches but be aware if you do plan to jump in early. You may run into issue that will no doubt result in you walking away that the game is just shy of that high level of polish we see in some of the best games on the market.

Otherwise, my previous thoughts on the game haven't changed. It's exceedingly good at telling its story and the level of writing on offer is not something I expected from this game. The voice acting is also just superb and its from a cast of relative unknowns with almost no experience in game voice acting. The combat, despite its repetition is very enjoyable through a bulk of the game and the boss battles are standouts in what they offer as they definitely break up the usual strategies you'll use in standard encounters. Generally, I can't say enough about the visuals, too. Definitely give this a chance, folks. You'll be pleased that you did and it may end up as one of my favorites this year.

I tested out the RT mode last night and it’s certainly 30fps as expected. There is a bit of a hit on resolution down from a full native 4K on the quality mode but it’s nowhere near as severe as the performance mode (1080p). Judging by eye, I would peg it at between 1440-1600p. It’s an excellent way to play the game and reflections are pretty darned nice. I’ll save it for my eventual playthrough to mop up the achievements.