LCVG

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (remasters of the original games!) [Switch/PS5/PS4/Xbox/PC] - Oct 5th 2021

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (remasters of the original games!) [Switch/PS5/PS4/Xbox/PC] - Oct 5th 2021

I really don't think I walked away happier from any other announcement this past week either, and with RGG Studio/Nagoshi heading this up I'm very confident about how it will turn out too. I'm tempted to buy it twice, to have both on the Switch and PS5. The fact there is a PS5 version definitely leaves me hoping that there will indeed be some haptics put to good use there but I've still yet to uncover any confirmation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Beat from Jet Set Radio has been randomly added to Banana Mania a playable character:

Please let this mean there’s at least a thought of more JSR in the minds of the power that be at Sega. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I gave in and bought it on Switch. 

It is NOT GameCube Super Monkey Ball in a portable format, but very explicitly a new game that has the same levels. It’s taking me some time to adjust, and I’m not sure how I feel about this yet. 

Monkey Target is completely broken for a start, but it would appear they know this and a fix is coming. But the camera is different (you can at least fiddle with it to be closer in the options menu), and the lack of octagon notch on the pad makes things more difficult.

Most of all, though, is that the goal is different. Gone is the original scoring system where you had to decide between going for a Perfect Banana collection or balancing the points from them against those from a faster finish. Now its a straight choice - most bananas and fastest time are two separate scoreboards. Lives are essentially infinite now, too - though if you’re going for fastest complete then obviously each failure is adding time. 

I’ve bought a new game, not a port. Can I handle the changes, most of which are perfectly sensible ones? I don’t yet know. 

Have played a bit more. Loading up the Monkey Ball 2 levels helps a whole bunch; I don’t know that one quite so well, and it hides the tiny differences. It’s actually a really smart bit of design, and encourages you to do both speed and max banana runs, rather than some vague blend. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2021 at 11:39 PM, iainl said:

Most of all, though, is that the goal is different. Gone is the original scoring system where you had to decide between going for a Perfect Banana collection or balancing the points from them against those from a faster finish. Now its a straight choice - most bananas and fastest time are two separate scoreboards. Lives are essentially infinite now, too - though if you’re going for fastest complete then obviously each failure is adding time. 

Oh this might be a deal-breaker to me. Is it a tradeoff in the long run, changing strategy...or is it more just dumbing down the Target mini-game?

I really hope the developers are listening and patch in some changes, or at the very least add in the option to toggle between something closer to the way things were in the original and the new changes to the mechanics and presentation. It's on sale right now, but tempting as it is to pick up but I'm still a little wary of whether I'll take to the changes or not.